Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikeman11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
I am new to the forum and just purchased a 2011 Mini Server. Really enjoying what this baby can do compared to my early '08 mbp. One question I have that hopefully someone can help a newbie out on is fan noise. I downloaded handbrake and started an encode and wow is this how the fan is supposed to sound. Didn't know it would scream like that. Is this normal? Just wondering if this is server specific since it has the quad-core and if the dual-cores are quieter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's normal. If the fan didn't sound like that, the machine would overheat and shutdown.

rainking

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
Normal. My quad core (hyper threaded - 8 virtual cores) MBP does the same thing. Handbrake uses all cores to the max thus needing the fan at full blast to keep the processor cool.

nikeman11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks

Thanks. I didn't want something to be wrong right off the bat.

gizms12

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
I thought this thread was about fans of the mini making some noise but instead it’s about the mini’s fan making noise, any way.

My mini is quite quiet until Handbrake and/or one of my other processor heavy programs (mostly 3D model rendering) is deployed, at which time the beast roars with the power of a lion.

Mini Fans, make some noise! MINI, Mini, mini, ok I'm over it:p

PiroPhosphoric

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
I have had a 2010 Mm server coreduo as mediacenter for more than a year, recently replaced with a 2011 Mm server quadcore i7 in the same place.

Following this forum guides, I improve the ventilation elevating the Mm with four small caps.

And I've found a terrible fan noise in between a Plex both mt2s and mkv reproduction, over normal audio soundtrack.

I'm thinking in changing back to the 2010 Mm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.