Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naam*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Hi,

I have a couple of problems which i don't know what caused them.

I have send my brand new macbook air 13" i7 to an authorised apple service center here in the Netherlands about 1,5 month ago. The problem was then that there was a little dent in the screen (about 2 pixels) which I wanted to get get repaired under warrenty. The service center didn't agree and wanted me to pay €544 euro for the screen, I refused the repair.

Next to the repair for the screen they also asked to pay €123 for a dent in the "top case". This dent was not there when I sent it out for repair. They agreed to replace the whole top case for free and i got my macbook back.

After the repair some problems became noticible.

The first problem was the trackpad. It's sticking out above the rest of the laptop, it didn't before. I compared it to a macbook of a friend of mine and to a macbook in the shop, both of them have a trackpad slightly below the suface and not like mine sticking out.

The next problems started today, 3 days after the repair.
- The fans don't stop blowing, I checked the activity manager and there's nothing there using anything. The fans shouldn't be on at all.

-My keyboard backlight doesn't work anymore. The screens shows that the lights are on but in real life they are not on. Doesn't matter how much I tried, they won't come on.

-The screen won't shut off when I close the lid. The apple logo on the back is always on. The screen won't go to sleep either unless I manually choose the option in the menu.

-There is no battery icon anymore, but when I connect the wallplug I get a battery with a cross. The option to always show the icon is checked, but the icon still disappears. The message i get when I click on the icon say's: No battery available.

Could these last problems be somehow be related to the repair? Even after 3 days of normal usage?

I also tried the reset options i found on google, they didn't work.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
It sounds to me like the place you sent it to did poor quality work, or was being spiteful and left some sensors unplugged on your logic board.

Full fans are often times an indicator that a thermal sensor or other cables are not properly seated or even connected at all.

The battery issue typically represents a bad battery.

I would contact apple directly in your country to find out what your other options are and potentially take it to another service provider to get a second look at it. If they can prove that the unit was left in a state of dis-repair by another service provider you may be able to request a new unit from Apple.

There's just no excuse for shoddy work on any computer.

Naam*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Okay,

I called apple care today and they said I need to return to the place where I got the repair done.

I will go there tomorrow or monday, and hope they will fix it right this time. Apple care told me that when they refuse I need to call apple care again.

Naam*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
I sent it in, after 17 days I finally got a reply:

I got a letter where it only states that I have to pay €500 for a new lcd screen. The other problems are stated nowhere, I have no clue if they even looked at them.

So i called apple care again, and they basicly they said that because there were more than 14 days between them sending the product and me sending it in for repair the first time there isn't proof that I didn't do it myself. So now they refuse to repair my screen but apple care is gonna call the service center for the topcase.

So it comes down to the fact that I sent it in for repair to late I now have to pay €500 and there's a chance that the top case and camera aren't even going to be fixed.

Never ever again I will buy an Apple product.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
I sent it in, after 17 days I finally got a reply:

I got a letter where it only states that I have to pay €500 for a new lcd screen. The other problems are stated nowhere, I have no clue if they even looked at them.

So i called apple care again, and they basicly they said that because there were more than 14 days between them sending the product and me sending it in for repair the first time there isn't proof that I didn't do it myself. So now they refuse to repair my screen but apple care is gonna call the service center for the topcase.

So it comes down to the fact that I sent it in for repair to late I now have to pay €500 and there's a chance that the top case and camera aren't even going to be fixed.

Never ever again I will buy an Apple product.

I wouldn't accept that. Take it as far as you can go, and don't give them a cent. Keep complaining, and be adamant that you did not cause the damage. Email as often as possible, and go to whatever is your equivalent of Trading Standards. They shouldnt be allowed to get away with this.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Call Apple Care again and ask to speak to a manager. You are getting the runaround. Don't pay any more. If that doesn't go anywhere, send a message up the chain at Apple to the head of customer service.

This is what will be nice once you do get Apple Stores in the Netherlands. Over here in the US, it's easy to take it to Apple directly, and not have to deal with "authorized service centers" who may or may not be up to Apple's standards.

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
Hi,

I have a couple of problems which i don't know what caused them.

I have send my brand new macbook air 13" i7 to an authorised apple service center here in the Netherlands about 1,5 month ago. The problem was then that there was a little dent in the screen (about 2 pixels) which I wanted to get get repaired under warrenty. The service center didn't agree and wanted me to pay €544 euro for the screen, I refused the repair.

Bit confused about the terms here, was this 'dent' caused by damage to the machine or was it merely some dead/faulty pixels?

Naam*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
The macbook came back again, they replaced the top-case again, this time they did it right.

They refuse to replace the screen, I spoke to a manager and it turns out that I returned the laptop 4 days after the initial 2 weeks they give you to sent back faulty products.

The damage on my screen is a tiny dent on the outside of the screen (you can feel it when you run your nail over it) and it is as big as 2 pixels. The dent also lines out with the top of the trackpad.

Naam*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
good luck!

Good luck with what?

They won't fix the screen and i can't see any more ways to get them to fix it.

I'm basicly screwed now. They just say that they can't trust me and that I might have damaged the screen myself, which in my eyes is impossible and there are no other damages anywhere on the device.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
And this is why my Dutch friends buy their Macs in the states.

With the new store in Amsterdam, that should no longer be necessary. When Apple handles customer service itself, it is usually top notch.

----------

Good luck with what?

They won't fix the screen and i can't see any more ways to get them to fix it.

I'm basicly screwed now. They just say that they can't trust me and that I might have damaged the screen myself, which in my eyes is impossible and there are no other damages anywhere on the device.

Do you have a small claims court? If you kept evidence of your e-mail and other correspondence with the service center, you should be able to demonstrate they gave you the runaround and then later claimed that you took too long to return the product.

Also, you have nothing to lose by sending an e-mail to Tim Cook. Someone will read it. Describe what happened, including your correspondence with the service center. If nothing more, if they get a lot of complaints about them, they may drop them so that no one else has to experience their "service."

slnko-v-sieti

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
It will be interesting to see the quality of service at the Amsterdam store. I feel like the Dutch national character, especially among the middle-aged generation, doesn't necessarily dovetail with the leniency and largess that Americans have come to expect at the Apple store. Although I could be wrong.

SouthTexas

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Texas
Wow

Is the service center really authorized? Look into that.... you need a completely new Mac as with the problems you've had, there is no clean way to fix it. It sounds like many things have become detached in the comuter itself... had the same issue just not near as bad and Apple sent me home with a brand new one.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Naam*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Is the service center really authorized? Look into that.... you need a completely new Mac as with the problems you've had, there is no clean way to fix it. It sounds like many things have become detached in the comuter itself... had the same issue just not near as bad and Apple sent me home with a brand new one.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

The biggest part of the problems were solved with a smc-reset, I had the same problems twice after the reset but a new reset fixed them.

I am not getting a response from my email to Tim Cook. And I myself don't have small court. My parents do, but they refuse to use it because they think we won't stand a chance.

So there is nothing left but to start saving up for a decent laptop from a other company I guess....

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
There's supposed to be 90 days of warranty on any repair so they should surely cover it. Show them this thread as proof.

Naam*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
There's supposed to be 90 days of warranty on any repair so they should surely cover it. Show them this thread as proof.

That's not the problem. Everything is fixed except the screen, which actually bothers me the most because it looks like there is dust on the screen.

Apple care told me I was my own fault the damage is there and the refuse to repair it unless I pay €500 which is ridiculous on a €1700 laptop that isn't even the best that is out there.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I am not getting a response from my email to Tim Cook. And I myself don't have small court. My parents do, but they refuse to use it because they think we won't stand a chance.

Perhaps there is a reason for that? Here in the US, small claims courts are very sympathetic to plaintiffs.

It sounds like your primary beef is with the repair center. Thus, the best source for any recourse is them. That would be the case with any OEM who relies upon contractors. If you are looking for a new notebook and want to avoid issues in the future, look for a company that does its own service (the way Apple does here). Otherwise, you might find yourself in the future taking your ASUS or Lenovo to the very same repair center who you claim botched your repair of the Apple.

Naam*

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
couple of months later:

My screen is covered in little dents, a few of them are big enough to turn white on a black screen.

I think it is caused by dust between the screen and the keyboard.

I am really dissapointed with this laptop, it's not even a year old and it already needs a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.