Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk8erboy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
iMac G5 - 4 Months Old - Loaded -

Specs:
17-inch widescreen LCD
1.6GHz PowerPC G5
512MB Memory
60GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load Combo Drive
GeForce FX 5200 Display Driver
56K internal modem
Air Port Extreme Wireless Internet Card
Bluetooth with Mac Wireless Mouse
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (Upgrade from 10.3)
Microsoft Virtual PC (Windows XP Professional) Add $100 - Goes new for $200

all this for 1,000.

just checking with you guys to see if this is a good deal.
please keep in mind i am a student, so i can benefit from apple's discounted prices. what do you guys think?? another thing to think about when comparing the current g5 imac to this is that i NEED the airport extreme card.
thanks ...
sk8R

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
it was cheaper at apple site but it did not have

it a good deal becuz of the add ons, make sure u get the vitual PC disks not just teh program on teh computer

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
Well you said you were a student so why not just get a new Rev. B iMac for $1199? It will come with everything that yours has as well as a better graphics card with twice the VRAM, a 160 HD, Tiger pre loaded and a faster processor at 1.8 Ghz. It also has Bluetooth 2.0 as well although that's nothing major. Just a thought.

Edit: My bad I didn't see it had Tiger on it. I still think it would be a better deal if you could find an extra $200.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
zap2 said:
it was cheaper at apple site but it did not have

it a good deal becuz of the add ons, make sure u get the vitual PC disks not just teh program on teh computer

Yeah but the machine is used. Also I think you could have gotten Tiger for free, with the $10 upgrade service, but I'm not sure.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Josh396 said:
Well you said you were a student so why not just get a new Rev. B iMac for $1199? It will come with everything that yours has as well as a better graphics card with twice the VRAM, a 160 HD, Tiger pre loaded and a faster processor at 1.8 Ghz. It also has Bluetooth 2.0 as well although that's nothing major. Just a thought.

Edit: My bad I didn't see it had Tiger on it. I still think it would be a better deal if you could find an extra $200.

Agree with Josh396 on that - the last iMac updates were really significant - upgrading the machine from 1.6 to 1.8 GHz, adding the airport cards, bluetooth, doubling the ram, putting in 128 MB of VRAM, doubling the HD size to 160, and coming with Tiger. For all of the upgrades and given the price dif, I'd go with a new 17 from the apple store. I have virtual PC as part of Office Pro, but I have never had a use for it.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
I just spent $999 for a 20" 1.8GHz 256MB 160GB SuperDrive model, brand new on a clearance deal from my college bookstore. It doesn't have some of the goodies the current models might have -- AirPort Extreme, BlueTooth, more RAM, better graphics. I don't need those things: I have a wired network, I have to take out the factory RAM anyway to max my iMac out, and I bought it for audio recording/production rather than playing games.

I speculate wildly that this deal might be available to other college bookstores, possibly including one in your area. Might be worth a phone call to ask.

Crikey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.