Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoddzDJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
England, UK
This is something that I have been thinking for a while now, when running full screen games/apps (full screen as in no iPad, wifi signal, time, battery) to totally disable any notification popups. It is very off putting when playing a game when a notification comes onscreen halfway through playing a game, you take your eyes off it for a split second and that's it.

I think if it was to be implemented it would needs its own section in the settings so you could toggle all the different apps and also have a main on/off switch.

What are your thoughts on this? I appreciate that the iOS 5 notifications aren't as intrusive as iOS 4 and previous versions, but they do still take your eyes off the game! I also understand that the idea of notifications is so that you are always in the know.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I'm not sure if I am understanding your question correctly because this setting is already in iOS 5.

img0104b.png

img0105h.png

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I think the OP wants to have two sets of settings: one for "full screen" and one for "the status bar is still there" apps.
Yes, he does.

Even though iOS5 notifications are great, *IF* I'm playing a game like jetpack, or batman, the pop downs still cause game to lag and throw off when fighting for an achievement or some such silliness.

I've since turned off message and email banners across the board because of this. They still pop up in lockscreen, and bad app icons on home row, so hard to miss anyway.

HoddzDJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
England, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The main game I play is Diamond Dash and it does lag the game and also puts me off for a fraction of a second, which can mean a rubbish score at the end! I think I might add it to the suggestions thread then, it's worth a shot at the end of the day!

HoddzDJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
England, UK
I got that, but an app like Angry Birds only plays in Full Screen mode and something like Safari always shows the status bar.

Yes so for Angry Birds I don't want notifications, safari would be fine. Obviously there would be selections to be made in the settings so I could select whichs apps I don't want notifications in!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.