Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redrider218

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
I am wondering if anyone knows if you order a mini server with just the 256gb ssd does apple have the connector cable in the mini to later add another ssd or hdd? Since the server mini usally comes with two hdds or ssds.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
I am wondering if anyone knows if you order a mini server with just the 256gb ssd does apple have the connector cable in the mini to later add another ssd or hdd? Since the server mini usally comes with two hdds or ssds.

The second cable isn't installed in the machine by default. Third party service centres can order it or you can buy it online from many stores, I doubt Apple retail stores would sell it to you. I bought this one from PowerbookMedic and used drive screws and mounting grommets from a dead iBook G3 (they're identical parts). iFxit also sell a complete kit with screws and cable, it's pretty expensive.

One thing to note when looking for a cable; the empty bay, the one directly below the Apple logo is called the bottom bay in the 2010 Mac mini, it's called the top bay in the 2011 model. They both use the same cable.

redrider218

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
but if i was to get the base server madel with the two 500gb hdds then i wouldnt need to buy the ribbon connector?

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

No. The base model has all the hardware necessary to support an SSD and HDD. In fact, that is part of the value of the server model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.