PDA

View Full Version : 'The Daily' Reports 100,000 Paying Subs on One-Year Anniversary

MacRumors
Feb 2, 2012, 01:25 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/02/the-daily-reports-100000-paying-subs-on-one-year-anniverary/)

One year ago today, News Corp. launched (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/02/the-daily-available-in-app-store-in-app-subscriptions-now-supported/) its iPad-only newspaper called The Daily (http://www.thedaily.com). It was the first app to take advantage of the "In-App Subscription" feature that Apple launched the same day.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/mzl.qxzwgkts.480x480-75.jpg

The Daily is available to subscribers for $0.99/week or $39.99/year and Mashable reports (http://mashable.com/2012/02/02/the-daily-2012/) that the newspaper currently has more than 100,000 paid subscribers on the iPad alone. Rupert Murdoch, head of The Daily's parent company News Corp. said when the paper launched that it would take 500,000 paying readers to break even, though publisher Greg Clayman told Mashable that profitability is in sight:
From what I've seen, the average time it takes for a new magazine publication to get profitable is five to seven years. We're on track to be ahead of that, which is great. When you calculate magazine profitability, you have to take into account the rising costs of paper and ink. We don't have any of those costs. We're in a very good place.The Daily recently launched its first Android edition for Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablets, and is preparing to release a version for iPhone and Android phones "in the next month or two".

The Daily for iPad is a free download (http://appshopper.com/news/the-daily) on the App Store. [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/app/the-daily/id411516732?mt=8)]

Article Link: 'The Daily' Reports 100,000 Paying Subs on One-Year Anniversary (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/02/the-daily-reports-100000-paying-subs-on-one-year-anniverary/)

MarsSpaceship
Feb 2, 2012, 01:52 PM
Need 500,000 users to make it even and 7 years to make it profitable? What kind of structure these morons have in place to create a simple iPad application to make it profitable? If by even they mean to support the board luxuries on the french riviera, buckets of caviar and using $1,000 bills to light their cigars, than I can see the point. :eek:

rdowns
Feb 2, 2012, 01:55 PM
What passes for news around here lately is pathetic.

jlgolson
Feb 2, 2012, 01:59 PM
Need 500,000 users to make it even and 7 years to make it profitable? What kind of structure these morons have in place to create a simple iPad application to make it profitable?
Dozens of dedicated reporters, apparently.

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 2, 2012, 02:02 PM
I think more interesting would be how much money they're bringing in... each one of the 100K subscriptions could be worth anything from $1 (if they only paid for 1 week) to $50 (if they paid for each week, and for whatever reason didn't decide to pay the $40 for a year.)

spazzcat
Feb 2, 2012, 02:16 PM
Need 500,000 users to make it even and 7 years to make it profitable? What kind of structure these morons have in place to create a simple iPad application to make it profitable? If by even they mean to support the board luxuries on the french riviera, buckets of caviar and using $1,000 bills to light their cigars, than I can see the point. :eek:

They have reporters, photographers, etc that travel all over the world reporting the news everyday. I can see how this would take awhile to be fully profitable.

----------

What passes for news around here lately is pathetic.

This is one of the first daily iPad only magazines, I think its important to know how its doing...

macrumorsuser10
Feb 2, 2012, 02:34 PM

Wow. Just wow. You hipsters are really missing some key points.

1. The quote says "the average time it takes for a new magazine publication to get profitable is five to seven years." That's evidently for all new magazines, not just digital ones.

2. Both print and digital news have expenses, like skilled reporters traveling around interviewing people, doing investigative journalism.

I know you hipsters aren't used to understanding that quality things require money. You hipsters are used to your free things and low-quality bloggers who just regurgitate press releases. Wow. Just wow. You hipsters get everything free one way or another, don't you? Free news, free food, free clothes. It must be nice being a 99%-er.

pivo6
Feb 2, 2012, 02:37 PM

1. The quote says "the average time it takes for a new magazine publication to get profitable is five to seven years." That's evidently for all new magazines, not just digital ones.

2. Both print and digital news have expenses, like skilled reporters traveling around interviewing people, doing investigative journalism.

I know you hipsters aren't used to understanding that quality things require money. You hipsters are used to your free things and low-quality bloggers who just regurgitate press releases. Wow. Just wow. You hipsters get everything free one way or another, don't you? Free news, free food, free clothes. It must be nice being a 99%-er.

We're all hipsters? How did you figure that?

dnask8
Feb 2, 2012, 03:01 PM
Dang it and I just paid $6.50 for this sandwich! I could of got it free!

DrMotownMac
Feb 2, 2012, 03:22 PM
We're all hipsters? How did you figure that?

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what a "hipster" is supposed to look like, but somehow, I don't think this is one of them: http://flavors.me/pivo6

He doesn't look like one of these: http://www.antiquiet.com/features/editorials/2008/11/how-do-i-know-if-im-a-hipster/

That being said, pivo6, I don't think macrumorsuser10 was talking to you or "we all." I think he was talking to MarsSpaceship. And while it's impossible to label him as a hipster without actually seeing/meeting him or her, it's fair to say that the username, MarsSpaceship, is highly suggestive. Furthermore, his lack of understanding of how a business operates, and his flippant use of the term "morons" in describing the people who run News Corp is perhaps most suggestive. Yep, I think hipster is a safe bet.

b0yfriend
Feb 2, 2012, 03:26 PM

Who occupied your bowl of Cheerios this morning?

FrizzleFryBen
Feb 2, 2012, 04:00 PM
Who occupied your bowl of Cheerios this morning?

I'm totally stealing your quote.

bluecluee
Feb 2, 2012, 04:01 PM
Love this app, really hope it's true that it's coming to the iPhone!

CyberBob859
Feb 2, 2012, 06:51 PM
http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/02/02/web-oneyear-thankyou/

slffl
Feb 2, 2012, 09:12 PM

WTF are you in high school? How about you give us your rant on the goths, skaters, and jocks too?

HeyKenny
Feb 2, 2012, 10:20 PM
Three words:
Rupert Murdoch. Pass.

thewitt
Feb 2, 2012, 10:38 PM
These are very good numbers for a news magazine. Good on them.

Mindcrime
Feb 2, 2012, 11:15 PM
I like the Daily -- It's actually fairly well balanced between left and right wing news, so you don't feel like you're being propagandized to by either side.

My only real complaint is: Peter Ha or whatever their tech guru/editor's name is. I can't stand watching his video reviews. That guy has about as much charisma as a rock.

Oh, and when they were doing "puppet" newscasts on weekends. WTF? At least that seems to be gone (for now).

jonnysods
Feb 3, 2012, 12:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

This is a fun thread to read. Thanks guys!

ericinboston
Feb 3, 2012, 08:46 AM
When you calculate magazine profitability, you have to take into account the rising costs of paper and ink. We don't have any of those costs

mmmm...what about calculating 30% share to Apple? Or more importantly, paying all your developers to alter/upgrade your software a few times a year for 1)bug reasons, 2)new features, and 3)newer iPads/iOS with possible new features or screen resolutions or new ways of coding.

Since iPads come out every year or so, many features can change very fast within 2-5 years. Not so with physical printing of magazines....those giant machines last decades before they are upgraded/replaced.

Look at how much the iPod has changed over 10 years.

Also, having 100,000 subscribers on a WORLD-WIDE electronic newspaper system is not that great. Considering there are, I believe, over 25 million iPads in existence, this "newspaper" company has captured less than 0.1% of the iPad owners. On the flip side, there is great room for improvement and more sales. Likely it's priced too high and/or the content stinks (I've been reading online news for 15 years without ever paying a penny).

rdowns
Feb 3, 2012, 08:48 AM
Are these 100,000 active subscribers or only total number over the year? In other words, does the 100,000 include those who may have subscribed for only a week?

wolfshades
Feb 3, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm not surprised it's going to take some time for The Daily to become profitable, especially if they require a 500K user base to break even. I've been a subscriber for a while now, and even at 100K users, I can tell you that they run into the occasional bandwidth bottleneck when delivering each edition.

Overall, I've been pleased with the app. I tend to lean a little to the left in political thought, and The Daily is very much right wing. So I appreciate the constant challenges their writers bring to the table, as it provokes me to better develop my arguments, or re-think some of the stances I've held on some issues.

Esthetically, the app is top-notch: the layout of the articles and pictorials are well done and easy to navigate. The best aspect of its construction though is the threaded commenting sections, where many of us can butt heads in a virtual mosh-pit.

Coverage-wise, it's very much U.S. centric - understandable, as it's an American publication. In terms of revenue-gathering, The Daily might be well advised to work hard at becoming more global in its news scope - something that I think they are working at, given their recent coverage of the trail of the "honour killings" murderers in Ontario Canada.

Overall I have to say that I do not regret paying the money out for an annual subscription. There is good reason to believe that The Daily will continue to grow in its success.

Shrink
Feb 3, 2012, 06:31 PM

I could be wrong, and I'm just taking a wild guess on this - but I don't think macrumoruser10 likes hipsters.

I'm old enough to remember what hipster meant a long time ago - the word coming out of the Jazz culture.. (Of course, I'm old enough to remember the Big Bang). I can't quite figure out what "hipster" means now. May I should hate them, too.:confused: :rolleyes:

ThunderSkunk
Feb 4, 2012, 10:32 AM
I can't quite figure out what "hipster" means now. May I should hate them, too.:confused:

Funny how quickly the modern "hipster" went from meaning trend-whore to becoming the equivalent of "whippersnapper", saying more about the person saying it than the person it's being said about. ...Cranky old codgers grumbling about, waiting for death to take them.

As far as the popularity of News Corps app goes, it's refreshing to see that yellow journalism and sensationalism are alive and well.

Shrink
Feb 4, 2012, 02:00 PM
Funny how quickly the modern "hipster" went from meaning trend-whore to becoming the equivalent of "whippersnapper", saying more about the person saying it than the person it's being said about. ...Cranky old codgers grumbling about, waiting for death to take them.

As far as the popularity of News Corps app goes, it's refreshing to see that yellow journalism and sensationalism are alive and well.

Well, this cranky old codger, waiting for death, is so out of it I didn't know what it meant to you young sprites. So I guess it means "trend-whore".

And now I also know I should never use it lest I be thought of as a whippersnapper-saying cranky old codger, waiting for death. :rolleyes:

Back before my cranky old codger days, a hipster was a cool person, a person in the know in the jazz community... a cool jazz aficionado. :cool:

But that was before I was just siting around waiting for death and offending the knowledgeable. :rolleyes: :D

arcite
Feb 4, 2012, 05:28 PM

IT should be noted that MOST publications make little to no profit, even if they don't crash and burn. Follow the money. Faux corp knows what it is buying.

ukwildcat
Feb 4, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'm happy to hear things are positive for The Daily. I've really grown to like it. I consider myself very middle-of-the-road politically, and I think The Daily is fairly middle ground (YMMV). I also think the app has matured nicely over the past year. The user interface is really well done IMO. I'll be on board for year 2.

flottenheimer
Feb 5, 2012, 11:57 AM
If or when The Daily breaks even it will be quite an achievement. It will be the model on which future publishing business is shaped. If it happens, that is.

I hope they make it. Newspapers are dying. Someone needs to crack the profitable-transition-to-digital-lock.

ownamac
Feb 5, 2012, 03:55 PM
Bailed on The Daily when I just didn't see any added value worth paying for.

B777Forevar
Feb 5, 2012, 11:29 PM
I can't wait for the iPhone version.

I really love reading The Daily on my iPad. Congrats to them for this!

dacreativeguy
Feb 6, 2012, 11:44 AM
I don't even read AOL's Editions everyday, and that is free. There is something about committing to a 'magazine' when I am surfing the iPad. I am more apt to click on a few stories on iGoogle than flip through a sequential news app.

But most of all, there is no good business reason for the Daily to charge for subscriptions. All of their source content is freely available in other forms on the web and I'm not picky enough to care about the style in which the news is written. With so many free ways to get the same info, they should just make it free and serve ads. I bet if they did create a free/ad version, they'd surpass their paid subscriptions VERY quickly.

threesixty360
Feb 6, 2012, 04:12 PM
I don't even read AOL's Editions everyday, and that is free. There is something about committing to a 'magazine' when I am surfing the iPad. I am more apt to click on a few stories on iGoogle than flip through a sequential news app.

But most of all, there is no good business reason for the Daily to charge for subscriptions. All of their source content is freely available in other forms on the web and I'm not picky enough to care about the style in which the news is written. With so many free ways to get the same info, they should just make it free and serve ads. I bet if they did create a free/ad version, they'd surpass their paid subscriptions VERY quickly.

I do find it incredibly depressing that scores of people work full time, 8hrs + a day to bring you a publication and people find it not "worth" 99 cents for 7 days work. Yet people will buy a chocolate bar, a biscuit or some pseudo gaming money from Zynga for far more.

It's not a value judgement on anyone as an individual, more on a society that has completed destroyed the value of so many things that are actually difficult to make. Very sad state of affairs really.

TurboMoses
Feb 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
Interesting indeed. I'm sure lower than their expected projections, but if they can make it profitable, good on them. I want to see them succeed.

Swift
Feb 6, 2012, 05:14 PM
Big pictures all over the front page? Okay. Corn headlines written by a 12-year old chimpanzee. Boring stories. Yeah, Murdoch.

robanga
Feb 9, 2012, 04:23 AM
I'm a subscriber. I enjoy the format but really only read it about 25% of the time. News is somewhat lower on my priority list. Funny thing is, i used to buy it on demand i think and somehow i switched over to the reoccurring subscription and have not bothered to look at how i would cancel it.