PDA

View Full Version : Capcha

Tech198
Feb 2, 2012, 03:58 PM
When doing a search on Macrumors (when the user is *not* logged in currently), previously, the user also had to enter a capcha, which was occasionally hard on the eyes, but that, being the idea, you could also argue it may have not worked, but any security is better than nothing.

Why did they remove it ? and will they bring it, or something (else) back?

grapes911
Feb 2, 2012, 06:39 PM
I rarely browse the site without being logged in, so I don't know when it was removed. I'm guessing it was removed when the New Search Engine (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1278345) was installed. Since searches are now indexed better, it may not be as important to keep a computer from making many quick searches and slowing down the MR servers.

arn
Feb 2, 2012, 08:14 PM
When doing a search on Macrumors (when the user is *not* logged in currently), previously, the user also had to enter a capcha, which was occasionally hard on the eyes, but that, being the idea, you could also argue it may have not worked, but any security is better than nothing.

Why did they remove it ? and will they bring it, or something (else) back?

The issue was to prevent rapid-fire bot searches that could bog down the server. With the new faster search engine, we've disabled it.

arn