Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazerbye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I am trying to install bootcamp on my macbook and I keep getting this error and don't know how to resolve it! Any ideas as I have enclosed an image of the error.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 9.35.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 9.35.03 AM.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 122
Nov 28, 2010
located
The message tells you what to do, though not as detailed as many might like.

Do you have an external HDD handy?

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find hundreds of similar threads with many answers (including the one given by Mister GGJstudios) :

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

lazerbye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
The message tells you what to do, though not as detailed as many might like.

Do you have an external HDD handy?

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find hundreds of similar threads with many answers (including the one given by Mister GGJstudios) :

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the Image button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the Image button below your message.

Yes I have an external drive handy that I can use!

lazerbye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
bootcam

You didn't see this?

Ok got that but is that really the way I have to do it as my external drive I have for some reason the way it is formatted it is not being recognized by the computer and I don't know why!

I'll have to play around with it as I really need to get bootcamp installed!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ok got that but is that really the way I have to do it as my external drive I have for some reason the way it is formatted it is not being recognized by the computer and I don't know why!

It is not recognised by your computer, or you can't write to it?
Does it show up in Disk Utility? I guess, it is not properly formatted*?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Do you have data stored on the external drive? If not, just reformat it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then you can clone your internal drive using CCC.

lazerbye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Do you have data stored on the external drive? If not, just reformat it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then you can clone your internal drive using CCC.

Not sure what is on it as I can't get it to register as a selectable drive on my system.

I'll just have to play with it and if not I can always buy a cheap external drive to do that for.

Now if I do CCC and I reformat the drive do I need to partition first then do bootcamp then install data back on or back up with CCC reformat then add data back on then bootcamp?

And if I do that I won't get the partition problem like I am having now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.