Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that Apple has removed all non-iPhone 4S devices with 3G technology from its German online store following a win by Motorola in the ongoing patent dispute between the two companies. The devices, which include the 3G iPad 2, iPhone 4, and iPhone 3GS, remain available from Apple's physical stores and other resellers in the country.

iphone_4_3gs_unavailable_germany.jpg

iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS removed from Apple's German online store

The removal is related to enforcement of a December injunction focused on a Motorola patent on 3G GPRS technology.
“While some iPad and iPhone models are not available through Apple’s online store in Germany right now, customers should have no problem finding them at one of our retail stores or an authorized reseller,” [Apple spokesman Alan] Hely said.
Beyond the 3G issue, Motorola has also won an injunction against Apple related to its iCloud services. Motorola has yet to seek enforcement of that ban, but could do so if it elected to post a $132 million bond to help cover penalties if it ultimately loses the case on appeal.

ipad_2_3g_unavailable_germany.jpg

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G models removed from Apple's German online store

Apple is appealing both decisions, but has apparently agreed to remove the numerous 3G devices from its German online store while the process remains ongoing.

Update: SlashGear reports that Apple has issued a statement claiming that the 3G GPRS injunction has already been suspended and that the affected iPhone and iPad devices will return to the German online store "shortly".
Apple has been granted a suspension of the German injunction against 3G-enabled iOS devices, with the iPad WiFi + 3G, iPhone 4 and other gadgets back on sale through the company’s online store. ”All iPad and iPhone models will be back on sale through Apple’s online store in Germany shortly” the company told us in a statement. “Apple appealed this ruling because Motorola repeatedly refuses to license this patent to Apple on reasonable terms, despite having declared it an industry standard patent seven years ago.”
Update 2: The affected devices are now available again in the German online store.

Article Link: Apple Pulls All 3G Devices Except iPhone 4S from German Online Store Following Motorola Patent Win [Updated]

Last edited:

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I generally against patents, but at least Apple sues using "easy to understand" patents, not like Samsung suing using the 3G patent that Broadcom pay for and Google(Motorola) suing Apple using the "synchronizing email" patent?

Come on, Google and Samsung are bad, really bad companies right now. They steal and lie to users.

What are they stealing and what lies are they telling to their users?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
“While some iPad and iPhone models are not available through Apple’s online store in Germany right now, customers should have no problem finding them at one of our retail stores or an authorized reseller,” [Apple spokesman Alan] Hely said.

So essentially nothing has changed.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I generally against patents, but at least Apple sues using "easy to understand" patents, not like Samsung suing using the 3G patent that Broadcom pay for and Google(Motorola) suing Apple using the "synchronizing email" patent?

Come on, Google and Samsung are bad, really bad companies right now. They steal and lie to users.

And Apple sues cause they are kind, nice and righteous? I guess you have never bought an Apple Rev A product that had a major defect and apple refused to acknowledge that it existing till a fix was rolled out.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Impact shouldn't be too great. Apple most likely saw this ruling coming and upped 3G iDevice shipments to Germany so I would imagine the supply channel is filled to the brim.

I would suspect the lawsuit gets figured out in time for iPhone 5 (or even the new iPad).

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Not entirely accurate. But keep on spinning the spin, LTD.

Maltz

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
So is Apple trying to push their 4S, or just sulking?

Um, neither. They agreed to pull those products after their loss in court. They're probably lucky they didn't have to pull the 4S, unless it's been redesigned to avoid the patent issue somehow.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I can see this thread now; for some this will be heralded as a fantastic thing because everything patent-related is exclusive to Apple. Others will say that it's ridiculous because any downturn patent-related in Apple's case must be a fluke or incorrect.

Can't wait.

adamtore

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Sweden

http://www.cultofmac.com/116250/samsung-does-not-copy-apple-at-all-sure/

I am afraid the only bogus suits are Apples fault.

Samsung and Moto are suing over true tech. patents and not community designs. Apple has no in-house tech what so ever.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
I so wish they would just sell them really really cheap like samsung did when their tablet got banned here in germany :rolleyes:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Yup! you cannot read and comprehend negative facts in relation to Apple.

The only thing that will never essentially change on MR is your religious zealot style devotion to Apple. Your not single by chance are you?????

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
So is Apple trying to push their 4S, or just sulking?

I think it was noted before that Apple went with a different approach with 4S, it does not seem to use any of Motorola Patents.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

Seems like a crap injunction if it only prevents them selling those devices online but can still sell them in shops. In the end great for Apple as it likely means some more 4Ss sold where people might have bought a 4.

If Motorola do win though I'll be interested to see what Apple does regarding the iPhone 5 & iPad 3

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Um, neither. They agreed to pull those products after their loss in court. They're probably lucky they didn't have to pull the 4S, unless it's been redesigned to avoid the patent issue somehow.

so why pull out of one channel and not out of retail stores or authorized resellers. Given authorized resellers will offer these products through online purchases, it seems like they are spitting the dummy or using it as an excuse to push 4S models.

atomicbloke

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I am thinking of patenting the process of wiping one's ass.

If successful, then everyone one the planet who takes a dump will have to pay me patent royalties.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I wonder if Apple did it voluntarily or Google, ahem, Motorola finally requested action.

In the end, if Google, ahem, Motorola ends up being wrong, say taking improper advantage of a FRAND patent, then I suspect Germany allows for Apple to get damages for the earlier enforcement and lost sales/profits.

----------

so why pull out of one channel and not out of retail stores or authorized resellers. Given authorized resellers will offer these products through online purchases, it seems like they are spitting the dummy or using it as an excuse to push 4S models.

I think the online store purchases ship from Ireland. The physical stores have physical stock.

----------

If Motorola do win though I'll be interested to see what Apple does regarding the iPhone 5 & iPad 3

Apple will always ship the product quicker than the courts can prevent it.

sexualchocolate

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008

While you can still get the devices, one of the easiest ways of buying them is now unavailable. There are only a few Apple Stores in Germany, so you will have to get it from other resellers. Just because something is still available somewhere, doesn't mean it won't affect sales of the product when the most convenient way has been eliminated.
"Derzeit nicht verfügbar" also gives the Impression, that the product is currently unavailable, and not just out of stock. Some people might be discouraged to look elsewhere when the official Apple Store says that.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

Seems like a crap injunction if it only prevents them selling those devices online but can still sell them in shops. In the end great for Apple as it likely means some more 4Ss sold where people might have bought a 4.

Different price segments, so while some people may pick a 4S instead of a 4, they will lose sales to Samsung/HTC/etc, and some will just wait. In the end this will be a net negative for Apple.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

Patents are supposed to be "non-obvious".

If it's easy to understand, the chances are it shouldn't be a patent in the first place.

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.