PDA

View Full Version : Big Decision.. Buy Now or Holdout?




jimjim776
Feb 3, 2012, 02:44 PM
Been savin 4 a year and a half, need a mac to run Pro Tools HD Native...
Do I buy the 12 core w 32 megs of ram and live happily ever after???
or do I wait for the new Mac?????? I would HATE to pay the toll on this
and see a new 16 core with updates galore in the same price range.
Any advice would be helpfull
Thanks :eek:



ashman70
Feb 3, 2012, 02:54 PM
If you can wait, wait, if you can't buy what fits your needs.

stridemat
Feb 3, 2012, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't buy a Mac Pro at the moment if you want the latest and greatest. Either way for the new model if you can or buy a used Mac Pro as a stop-gap and upgrade if/when you feel the need.

wonderspark
Feb 3, 2012, 03:08 PM
If you're sure Protools can use the 12-core more efficiently than the 6-core, I'd wait a bit longer. Otherwise, I'll repeat what I posted in another thread:

My choice would be to buy a refurbished or used 2009 Mac Pro. They're $2039 from Apple, or I found a guy selling one for $1600 in my town, for example. For free, you can download the app that converts a 2009 to a 2010 from this thread.
Then you can buy the 3.33GHz Hex-core chip for $585, and 24GB of RAM for $330 here.

Any monitor (except the Thunderbolt one) will work, so shop around for a nice one and skip the price of an Apple monitor. There are plenty of good options for a lot less. About as low as $2500 for a 6-core with 24GB RAM, and whatever you pay for a monitor.

jimjim776
Feb 3, 2012, 03:30 PM
is 8 core more than enough or is 12 the way to go?

ActionableMango
Feb 3, 2012, 03:51 PM
My choice would be to buy a refurbished or used 2009 Mac Pro. They're $2039 from Apple, or I found a guy selling one for $1600 in my town, for example.

The 2009 refurb from Apple is a ripoff. For $80 more you can get the 2010 refurb. That $80 gets you a faster CPU, bigger hard drive, much better graphics, newer mouse, and an Airport card!

For free, you can download the app that converts a 2009 to a 2010 from this thread. Then you can buy the 3.33GHz Hex-core chip for $585, and 24GB of RAM for $330 here.


Last I checked, 2009 refurbs have a special firmware that prevents people from using the 2009-to-2010 firmware updater. A used 2009 would not have this problem, unless it too was a refurb of course.

wonderspark
Feb 3, 2012, 04:24 PM
The 2009 refurb from Apple is a ripoff. For $80 more you can get the 2010 refurb. That $80 gets you a faster CPU, bigger hard drive, much better graphics, newer mouse, and an Airport card!

Last I checked, 2009 refurbs have a special firmware that prevents people from using the 2009-to-2010 firmware updater. A used 2009 would not have this problem, unless it too was a refurb of course.
Yes, a 2010 is easier, but I'm saying you can find a 2009 on craigslist, refurb store or whatever. A guy just sold a 2009 for $1600 in Denver, for example. My 2009 came with the Airport card, magic mouse and all that.

The firmware is updated with a free, simple 250kb automated app that switches it from 4,1 to 5,1 back and forth any time you like. I can email it it someone wants it, or it's available on the netkas.org site. This means that yes, a 2009 can run a hex core like I am right now. It's the same computer, so if you find a 2009 for a good price, it's the same as a 2010. I haven't heard of the special refurb firmware, though. That's interesting. Not surprising though.

I wasn't aware that any came without airport cards, actually. I did upgrade my 4870 to a 5870 though, and that was extra. There are many options and ways to reach the intended goal.

Metal Dice
Feb 3, 2012, 05:24 PM
I think you should wait. (Assuming that you can wait.) The next Mac Pro could very well be released within the next 60 days. I ensure you, if that is the case, the buyers remorse will hit you hard and it will make it hard for you to enjoy your two year old Mac Pro.

This is my honest opinion.

derbothaus
Feb 3, 2012, 08:19 PM
OP, see your other thread for my answer.

ActionableMango
Feb 6, 2012, 11:12 AM
Yes, a 2010 is easier, but I'm saying you can find a 2009 on craigslist, refurb store or whatever. A guy just sold a 2009 for $1600 in Denver, for example. My 2009 came with the Airport card, magic mouse and all that.

The firmware is updated with a free, simple 250kb automated app that switches it from 4,1 to 5,1 back and forth any time you like. I can email it it someone wants it, or it's available on the netkas.org site. This means that yes, a 2009 can run a hex core like I am right now. It's the same computer, so if you find a 2009 for a good price, it's the same as a 2010. I haven't heard of the special refurb firmware, though. That's interesting. Not surprising though.

I wasn't aware that any came without airport cards, actually. I did upgrade my 4870 to a 5870 though, and that was extra. There are many options and ways to reach the intended goal.

Yeah, I agree with all of your points except getting the 2009 from the refurb store. It's too expensive, it's lacking, and it has firmware that prevents the update.

Indeed the used market is something else entirely and 2009s sell for closer to their true value. If I had to buy a MP today it's probably what I would target.

Tadros86
Feb 6, 2012, 06:05 PM
I use a Macbook Pro to run Protools... MacPros for Protools isn't required anymore unless you are planning to RECORD and orchestra. Playing back 48+ has never failed on my Macbook Pro. I find that hard drive speed is the biggest Protools problem. I'll see a "hard drive can't keep up message" on my machine but have yet to see a "cpu overload" message. Just my two cents...

highdefw
Feb 6, 2012, 06:54 PM
If you need a machine now, but still want the newest release (whenever that might be), I too suggest a refurb for now.

jimjim776
Feb 6, 2012, 07:03 PM
I'm using HD 10 (native) Pro Tools
you add a card, can't use Mac Book Pro. I need the tower.
Thanks for the comments I guess waiting would be wise.
I would hate to buy a 12 core 2.66 and 60 days from now
see a 12 3.2 for less money :mad:

dknightd
Feb 6, 2012, 07:54 PM
I would hate to buy a 12 core 2.66 and 60 days from now
see a 12 3.2 for less money :mad:

Of course you could wait 60 days and find out the Macpro had been
discontinued - then want to buy the 12 core 2.66 anyway and have gone 60 days without it. My thinking is whenever I want/need a new machine, and have the money, I buy it. If a new one comes out (which usually happens) I just tell myself I've had the use of the one I bought for x days, so it was worth it. YMMV