PDA

View Full Version : Remarks - a brand new note-taking and PDF annotating app by Readdle

Readdlemate
Feb 3, 2012, 04:08 PM
http://readdle.com/img/remarks/1.0/banner-icon.png

Today Readdle releases Remarks (http://itunes.apple.com/app/remarks-write-notes-annotate/id496413403?mt=8), its brand new application for handwriting, note taking and PDF annotating on the iPad. It lets people replace paper for writing notes, making sketches and drafting ideas.

At the same time, Remarks is a powerful PDF annotation tool that can be used to review documents, make comments in textbooks.

Video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HikaEE70604&context=C3b097efADOEgsToPDskJswMcIfuWo4DXafqsrJNzw)

Taking notes in class, on a meeting, during a conversation with a customer or on the sofa at home is a breeze with Remarks. The application has been designed for convenient writing including every required tool: a number of paper types, pens and highlighters of different colors, floating text boxes, several shapes and an eraser.

Adding annotations, notes and comments to existing PDF documents is another task which can be easily accomplished with the help of Remarks. People can easily highlight text in PDF files, write comments on top of the text, draw simple schemes and diagrams.

Remarks has many impressive capabilities but one of them stands out namely collaboration. Notes that are shared via email can be opened and changed by any other person who uses Remarks. Moreover, those notes are editable with Adobe Reader and Apple Preview on the Mac and PC.

We will appreciate your feedback and thoughts.

LostLogik
Feb 4, 2012, 02:02 AM
This looks an interesting app. I like Readdle products but having PDF Expert (and previously ReaddleDocs) am a bit hesitant buying this. I already have a good handwriting /note taking app and so it isn't that I need another of those. Also PDF Expert gives me the annotating function. It also has a very good "filing system" for all my documents. But what I would like is to combine them, so I can use one app instead of having some notes in one app and some in another. Granted Dropbox does help to a degree but it would be much better if all files were in one place. Are there any plans to improve PDF Expert or are these going to be two different development lines?

zipur
Feb 4, 2012, 04:01 AM
I agree. This app area is flooded with note taking apps of all favors. I have tons as I've been searching for the best all around, quick, fluid,feature packed note taking app.
Here is my list
DocsAS
Noteability
Penultimate
Neu.notes
Draw pad jotstudio
PDF-notes
It goes on an on, so to stand out you need to break away from the pack, all of the features you offer have been done already in my the above list.

What we need is a good handwriting-to-text feature or maybe a voice transcription.

Because all note app will send to Dropbox, record, text, free hand, draw, paint, import pictures, organize, export, ink size adjustment, palm rest ...What's different in your app?

Suggestion: you need to be different!
You must provide a lite version so we can try before we buy.
And remember keep it quick startup time is everything when you want to take a quick note.
And lastly keep in touch with your users timely reply to email, acknowledge their suggestion all of this is good for the product and iPads.

anjinha
Feb 4, 2012, 06:19 PM
The handwriting in Remark is way too pixelated. I'm very disappointed.

----------

This looks an interesting app. I like Readdle products but having PDF Expert (and previously ReaddleDocs) am a bit hesitant buying this. I already have a good handwriting /note taking app and so it isn't that I need another of those. Also PDF Expert gives me the annotating function. It also has a very good "filing system" for all my documents. But what I would like is to combine them, so I can use one app instead of having some notes in one app and some in another. Granted Dropbox does help to a degree but it would be much better if all files were in one place. Are there any plans to improve PDF Expert or are these going to be two different development lines?

This is a problem for me as well. It seems that Readdle just keeps pushing out new apps (and charging for them) instead of adding the functionality to existing apps.

I mean, there's Readdle Docs where I used to organize my files and PDFs. And then there was PDF Expert that had that functionality and added the functionality of annotations, forms, etc. And now this app, that also has some of PDF Experts features, adds more note taking abilities but lacks the organizational system, Dropbox access etc.

It's not even having to pay more that frustrates me, it's having separate apps with overlapping functionality but each with a unique set of features.

Readdlemate
Feb 5, 2012, 07:14 AM
The handwriting in Remark is way too pixelated. I'm very disappointed.

----------

This is a problem for me as well. It seems that Readdle just keeps pushing out new apps (and charging for them) instead of adding the functionality to existing apps.

I mean, there's Readdle Docs where I used to organize my files and PDFs. And then there was PDF Expert that had that functionality and added the functionality of annotations, forms, etc. And now this app, that also has some of PDF Experts features, adds more note taking abilities but lacks the organizational system, Dropbox access etc.

It's not even having to pay more that frustrates me, it's having separate apps with overlapping functionality but each with a unique set of features.

You are the first person to tell us that we are not improving our existent apps, it's unfortunate that you have that impression. We are 25 person team constantly updating our apps and making them better. Have a look at the releases: http://readdle.com/press/release/

You guys are right about saturated note-taking marketplace. We tapped into it, because we believe that Remarks can be much better in terms of UI, accuracy, speed, features, simplicity and performance. Please note, that's just version 1.0 and we have long road ahead.

Talking about PDF Expert, ReaddleDocs and Remarks..they are all different apps for different needs. Of course, some features overlap, but it is impossible to make all-in-one app both from the engineering and UI perspectives. I blogged here about the difference between Remarks and PDF Expert http://readdle.com/blog/?p=1263.

Please, do provide feedback, we always listen to you guys, adding new features and polishing our apps.

In 2 weeks, we will release an update with new rendering and drawing engine. Moreover, cloud storages will be added.

anjinha
Feb 5, 2012, 11:04 AM
You are the first person to tell us that we are not improving our existent apps, it's unfortunate that you have that impression. We are 25 person team constantly updating our apps and making them better. Have a look at the releases: http://readdle.com/press/release/

You guys are right about saturated note-taking marketplace. We tapped into it, because we believe that Remarks can be much better in terms of UI, accuracy, speed, features, simplicity and performance. Please note, that's just version 1.0 and we have long road ahead.

Talking about PDF Expert, ReaddleDocs and Remarks..they are all different apps for different needs. Of course, some features overlap, but it is impossible to make all-in-one app both from the engineering and UI perspectives. I blogged here about the difference between Remarks and PDF Expert http://readdle.com/blog/?p=1263.

Please, do provide feedback, we always listen to you guys, adding new features and polishing our apps.

In 2 weeks, we will release an update with new rendering and drawing engine. Moreover, cloud storages will be added.

I didn't say you weren't improving on existing apps. I said you are making new apps with features that could be instead added to existing apps.

I mean, like I said, I used to use Readdle Docs. I already had all my PDFs organized there. And instead of adding the the annotating, form, signature features to it (it could even be an upgrade through in app-purchase) you create PDF Expert, that has a similar functionality but then adds all of that stuff.

Then instead of adding the functionality of note taking and creating PDFs to PDF Expert you create Remarks, with some of the annotation functionality of PDF Expert but then with all these other features that PDF Expert lacks.

So if I had Readdle Docs I have to purchase a whole new app (PDF Expert) just for some extra functionality (annotations, etc.) but when a lot of the features I already had in Readdle Docs. And now with Remarks it's a whole new app for the note taking functionality when I already have the PDF annotation with PDF Expert.

The problem isn't being charged for new apps, I understand the work that goes into them. The problem is that since new apps have some functionality of existing apps I feel like I'm being charged again for features I already had, instead of being charged for new apps or new functionality.

LostLogik
Feb 5, 2012, 02:42 PM
I didn't say you weren't improving on existing apps. I said you are making new apps with features that could be instead added to existing apps.

I mean, like I said, I used to use Readdle Docs. I already had all my PDFs organized there. And instead of adding the the annotating, form, signature features to it (it could even be an upgrade through in app-purchase) you create PDF Expert, that has a similar functionality but then adds all of that stuff.

Then instead of adding the functionality of note taking and creating PDFs to PDF Expert you create Remarks, with some of the annotation functionality of PDF Expert but then with all these other features that PDF Expert lacks.

So if I had Readdle Docs I have to purchase a whole new app (PDF Expert) just for some extra functionality (annotations, etc.) but when a lot of the features I already had in Readdle Docs. And now with Remarks it's a whole new app for the note taking functionality when I already have the PDF annotation with PDF Expert.

The problem isn't being charged for new apps, I understand the work that goes into them. The problem is that since new apps have some functionality of existing apps I feel like I'm being charged again for features I already had, instead of being charged for new apps or new functionality.

I agree 100%. I used to use ReaddleDocs, had to buy PDF Expert to have the PDF annotating stuff and then move all my files previously in ReaddleDocs into PDF Expert because now there was no point in having both (and you guys pretty much said the same thing when I asked). Now, you bring out Remarks, which is again another eco-system of files. PITA! I might have bought the functionality as an in app purchase but as I already have a note taking app I won't be buying Remarks.

epicmar
Feb 5, 2012, 07:52 PM
I agree 100%. I used to use ReaddleDocs, had to buy PDF Expert to have the PDF annotating stuff and then move all my files previously in ReaddleDocs into PDF Expert because now there was no point in having both (and you guys pretty much said the same thing when I asked). Now, you bring out Remarks, which is again another eco-system of files. PITA! I might have bought the functionality as an in app purchase but as I already have a note taking app I won't be buying Remarks.

Ditto. I purchased ReaddleDocs for my iPhone and then for my iPad. When PDF Expert was released I was tempted to purchase it because of the advanced annotation features, etc., but was disappointed that it didn't have the integrated browser support. I ended up switching to a competitor's product that has a better mix of ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert features. What I am really waiting for is the all in one file management, PDF annotation, note taking app that does all of these things well.

franmatt80
Feb 6, 2012, 04:03 AM
I must agree. There seems to be so much overlap and not enough individual functions between each one. I really like the UI of the Readdle apps, but there is always one competitor which has slightly more functionality or better user experience.

Even without making comparisons, my problem with Readlledocs/PDF expert/ Remarks is that I can't put together a smooth enough workflow to make them worthwhile using when there are others that that combine a lot of their various functions in one app....

In app purchasing of further functions would be brilliant and so much more intuitive.

Readdlemate
Feb 7, 2012, 09:13 AM
I must agree. There seems to be so much overlap and not enough individual functions between each one. I really like the UI of the Readdle apps, but there is always one competitor which has slightly more functionality or better user experience.

Even without making comparisons, my problem with Readlledocs/PDF expert/ Remarks is that I can't put together a smooth enough workflow to make them worthwhile using when there are others that that combine a lot of their various functions in one app....

In app purchasing of further functions would be brilliant and so much more intuitive.

I see where you coming from. But the majority of our users have quite specific needs, so they pick ReaddleDocs, PDF Expert or Remarks. I do however use both PDF Expert and Remarks.

It is almost impossible to do a nice and clean all-in-one app, because we won't be able to provide great UI, as we have now, and people will be confused.

However, the solution is coming. Readdle team is working on iCloud integration for all our apps. It will make the whole process smooth. Not only you will be able to organize the files between all apps, but also Scanner Pro (http://itunes.apple.com/app/scanner-pro-scan-multipage/id333710667?mt=8) will get the files into your PDF Expert (so you can edit or sign) and Print via Printer Pro (http://itunes.apple.com/app/printer-pro/id393313223?mt=8) in seconds.

lsquare
Feb 8, 2012, 03:30 AM
Are you planning to integrate Microsoft SkyDrive into your apps? Microsoft does provide 25GB of storage for SkyDrive users and I believe they recently made their APIs available.

I like the concept of Remarks. Is this suppose to be a competitor to Notability, Evernote, and Microsoft OneNote?

Once my current class is over, I'm going to be typing and writing notes on my iPad. I don't think Evernote allows writing on the iPad with my stylus. Will Remarks act as a basic word processor in addition to allow me to write mathematical equations or whatever I want with my stylus?

Readdlemate
Feb 8, 2012, 05:49 AM
Are you planning to integrate Microsoft SkyDrive into your apps? Microsoft does provide 25GB of storage for SkyDrive users and I believe they recently made their APIs available.

I like the concept of Remarks. Is this suppose to be a competitor to Notability, Evernote, and Microsoft OneNote?

Once my current class is over, I'm going to be typing and writing notes on my iPad. I don't think Evernote allows writing on the iPad with my stylus. Will Remarks act as a basic word processor in addition to allow me to write mathematical equations or whatever I want with my stylus?

Hi,

We don't have it on our roadmap yet, but we will definitely look at it closely and see if there is API available.

Yes, you are right. Remarks allows your to do all that but please notice that it does not have ocr or text recognition. All your notes will be saved (if you want to share them) in PDF format.

I've played a bit with Remarks to give you the idea how it might work.

http://support.readdle.com/images/upload/photo-3.PNG

Feel free to ask more questions.

lsquare
Feb 8, 2012, 04:44 PM
Hi,

We don't have it on our roadmap yet, but we will definitely look at it closely and see if there is API available.

Yes, you are right. Remarks allows your to do all that but please notice that it does not have ocr or text recognition. All your notes will be saved (if you want to share them) in PDF format.

I've played a bit with Remarks to give you the idea how it might work.

That's awesome! Thanks for posting that example!

Here's the link to Microsoft's SkyDrive API: http://skydriveapiclient.codeplex.com/

I know that Remarks won't OCR the notes, but how can I OCR it afterwards? I plan on buying the student edition of Adobe Acrobat X at a later point in time.

Will your company provide any discount for purchasing both PDF Expert and Remarks?

Readdlemate
Feb 9, 2012, 04:49 AM
That's awesome! Thanks for posting that example!

Here's the link to Microsoft's SkyDrive API: http://skydriveapiclient.codeplex.com/

I know that Remarks won't OCR the notes, but how can I OCR it afterwards? I plan on buying the student edition of Adobe Acrobat X at a later point in time.

Will your company provide any discount for purchasing both PDF Expert and Remarks?

Thanks for the link.

Is there a way to OCR a PDF file? I am not sure about that.

Isquare, we would've gladly provided you a discount, but the AppStore does not allow us to do so. Instead, how about we keep pumping updates and improving our apps, to make you more effective? ;)

We are working on video and audio annotations for PDF Expert, Evernote integration for Remarks, and much more..

lsquare
Feb 9, 2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the link.

Is there a way to OCR a PDF file? I am not sure about that.

Isquare, we would've gladly provided you a discount, but the AppStore does not allow us to do so. Instead, how about we keep pumping updates and improving our apps, to make you more effective? ;)

We are working on video and audio annotations for PDF Expert, Evernote integration for Remarks, and much more..

You mean Adobe Acrobat X cannot OCR a PDF file?

Readdlemate
Feb 10, 2012, 04:20 AM
You mean Adobe Acrobat X cannot OCR a PDF file?

Ok, I meant that you cannot OCR handwriting as for now. But if you type in text - it is text, so you can do all the manipulations with it.

Readdlemate
Mar 2, 2012, 05:13 PM
Great news!

Unprecedented 60% sale for Remarks iPad (http://itunes.apple.com/app/remarks-write-notes-annotate/id496413403?mt=8) app - $1.99 now.
For a limited period of time.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/remarks-write-notes-annotate/id496413403?mt=8

Get one of the best note-taking apps in the AppStore.

The update is coming soon with dozens of improvements!

matt90036
Mar 3, 2012, 12:41 AM
I have to agree with previous posters. There seems to be a lot of overlap between those apps. It would have worked better if:
1) Readdle Docs was simple text editing and annotating/document signing app
2) PDF Expert got renamed to something like Readdle Docs Expert and got in app purchases such as:
a) PDF annotation
b) Text editing MS office style
c) Handwritting Recognition, etc

LostLogik
Mar 3, 2012, 01:17 AM
Great news!

Unprecedented 60% sale for Remarks iPad (http://itunes.apple.com/app/remarks-write-notes-annotate/id496413403?mt=8) app - $1.99 now.
For a limited period of time.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/remarks-write-notes-annotate/id496413403?mt=8

Get one of the best note-taking apps in the AppStore.

The update is coming soon with dozens of improvements!

OK, despite my reservations of yet another file-ecosystem, I've bought into this (yes the sale helped :) ).

Initial impression is I'm actually glad I have, because this is a very nice product. Well done. I like the UI and it is very smooth in application. I've a lot more playing around to do with it (and headache of all headaches trying to get my notes out of another "note-taking" app and into this Readdle sandbox) but so far this does look like another winner.

One question. I have found that when doing handwriting the carriage return goes down a line and a half, effectively chopping off the top half of the next line. Is there a way to change this? As it currently stands I'm having to double line-space all my notes or manually move the zoom box back up after each <CR>. a little annoying and I'm sure this must be configurable but can't see how. thanks.

Edit: Think I've sorted this out myself. It seems that schanging the area of the bottom zoom box changes the amount the top box will move down when you reach the end of a line. I haven't managed to get an exact "line space return" but it's a lot better than it was.

JohnDoe98
Mar 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Any plans to add a recording feature? It would be nice to have a lecture recorded in the same time, and accessible in the same place, as my notes.

JohnDoe98
Apr 26, 2012, 06:09 AM
Hi,

What about this? Should it work, will Skydrive access be added on the roadmap?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/hh826521

Readdlemate
Apr 26, 2012, 06:47 AM
What about this? Should it work, will Skydrive access be added on the roadmap?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/live/hh826521

Thanks!

By the way, Remarks 1.3 is out! Get the update for free! We've added super cool Dropbox support and realistic handwriting.

davidhood
Apr 26, 2012, 08:28 AM
Why doesn't readdle offer free limited-use trial versions?

I've already bought a couple of your apps and I'm hesitate to purchase another.

Readdlemate
Apr 27, 2012, 09:39 AM
Why doesn't readdle offer free limited-use trial versions?

I've already bought a couple of your apps and I'm hesitate to purchase another.

Why are you hesitant? 90% of users by all once they've tried one.
Which apps do you have?