PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my iPhone this sucks

Laidbackal
Feb 3, 2012, 09:45 PM
So I have had my iPhone for about two months, the battery is what I have an issue with. My battery usually last only 5 hours for the usage sometimes less. Standby by varies it is usually 12-14 hours I would say. I have location services on but only for the find my iPhone option. Everything in system services is off. My signal is usually 2-3 bars. Wifi signals is usually 2-3 also. On my mail account I have icloud set up but the mail account is inactive so it shouldn't use battery or does it. I cloud backup is off too. Browsing the web using wifi I use it for about 2-4 hours a day. My screen brightness is on half brightness so 50%. Wifi is off everytime I'm done using the Internet. That's is all I can think of.

Laidbackal
Feb 3, 2012, 10:03 PM
It is an iPhone 4s also.

Arnezie
Feb 3, 2012, 10:07 PM
5 hours is pretty good as far as usage goes , Restore as new , reset settings , normal troubleshooting completed?

Jare
Feb 3, 2012, 10:12 PM
So I have had my iPhone for about two months, the battery is what I have an issue with. My battery usually last only 5 hours for the usage sometimes less. Standby by varies it is usually 12-14 hours I would say. I have location services on but only for the find my iPhone option. Everything in system services is off. My signal is usually 2-3 bars. Wifi signals is usually 2-3 also. On my mail account I have icloud set up but the mail account is inactive so it shouldn't use battery or does it. I cloud backup is off too. Browsing the web using wifi I use it for about 2-4 hours a day. My screen brightness is on half brightness so 50%. Wifi is off everytime I'm done using the Internet. That's is all I can think of.

First of all, turning your brightness down to 25% should net you about a half an hour. Mistake #1.

#2, You said you only get 2-3 bars (out of 5) for signal strength. This MAJORLY effects battery life as it ties to search for a better signal.

18-20 hours of Standby and 6-7 Hours of usage is great battery life. When you do the math, you realize you're getting almost a day's worth of a charge (24 full hours).

The only issue I see is how your brightness is and your weak signal. Those are major effects on battery life. Sure you may squeeze another 30 minutes of usage and 2-3 hours of standby if your signal strength was improved (and brightness down for usage time) but really, you're getting good battery life.

Laidbackal
Feb 3, 2012, 10:14 PM
I can't see at 25% but good tips.

mrsir2009
Feb 3, 2012, 10:15 PM
Thats about what I get on my 4S. The thing about smartphones is that we tend to use them far more than regular cellphones, plus they have a lot more to do (better, faster, more powerful internals, WiFi and 3G going all the time, push notifications etc) however battery technology hasn't improved all that much. This is why a lot of smartphones are hindered by poor battery life.

Laidbackal
Feb 3, 2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah I read on here about people getting 6-8 hours of battery life and 24-26 hours of standby thought something was wrong.

Jare
Feb 3, 2012, 10:18 PM

25%-30% is more then enough for indoor usage (sometimes I find it even too bright in darkness). If you can't see it you might need glasses. Adjust to your needs outdoors.

These aren't tips, these are facts. I've done this with every iPhone I've owned and never once had battery problems that couldn't be solved by fixing my settings. I have iCloud on at full blast(not with older iPhones obviously, just my iPhone 4s), location services on, full 5 bars of signal strength and WiFi on at all times. I get 22 hours of standby and 7.5 hours of usage. This includes heavy gaming, web browsing, texting, netflix, etc.

Arnezie
Feb 3, 2012, 10:20 PM
Yeah I read on here about people getting 6-8 hours of battery life and 24-26 hours of standby thought something was wrong.

8 hours of use and 24 standby I am calling bs on that. Your phone is fine.

Laidbackal
Feb 3, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hm so 25% would be near the b or the r.

Jare
Feb 3, 2012, 10:23 PM
Hm so 25% would be near the b or the r.

Gage it by about 1/4th of the bar. Even if your a little over or a little under you'll still only see that extra (barely) 30 minutes of usage/1-2 hours of standby.

The major issue is the weak signal strength. It keeps trying to get a better signal thus causing more strain on the battery then normal.

Laidbackal
Feb 3, 2012, 10:30 PM
Yeah I always have 2-3 bars sprint is bad.

----------

I forgot to add I have cell network search off would that help with my signal or no jare.

mrsir2009
Feb 3, 2012, 10:32 PM
Yeah I always have 2-3 bars sprint is bad.

----------

I forgot to add I have cell network search off would that help with my signal or no jare.

Yeah I usually get two bars... Does wonders for the battery life.

Laidbackal
Feb 3, 2012, 10:40 PM
Really your out of the country so it might be a difference.

mrsir2009
Feb 3, 2012, 10:59 PM

Haha of course I'm not with Sprint silly!

Jare
Feb 3, 2012, 11:10 PM

Not really, no. It's still going to search.. just with a weaker set of locations.

lordofthereef
Feb 4, 2012, 12:06 AM
Thats about what I get on my 4S. The thing about smartphones is that we tend to use them far more than regular cellphones, plus they have a lot more to do (better, faster, more powerful internals, WiFi and 3G going all the time, push notifications etc) however battery technology hasn't improved all that much. This is why a lot of smartphones are hindered by poor battery life.

I often hear people say "My old flip phone would go a week between charges". yeah, great, but I bet you used that old flip phone less in a week than you do your smartphone in a day. Apple to oranges, IMO. As you said, people are doing a whole lot more with their phones. When something is used more, it stands to reason it drains the battery faster.

walie
Feb 4, 2012, 12:09 AM

:rolleyes:

obviously

again,

:rolleyes:

Jare
Feb 4, 2012, 09:28 PM
Just to show you some proof I'm not making it up:

http://i.imgur.com/dTNae.png

No music, heavy Asphalt 6 gaming. WiFi on at all times, heavy texting & web browsing. Two hour-ish long phone calls as well.

sulpfiction
Feb 4, 2012, 09:50 PM
I get 22 hours of standby and 7.5 hours of usage. This includes heavy gaming, web browsing, texting, netflix, etc.

Sorry, I'm calling BS on this one.

Jare
Feb 4, 2012, 09:53 PM
Sorry, I'm calling BS on this one.

Go for it, maybe you should read the post above you. 25% battery left with almost 6 hours of usage/21 hours of Standby.

I'm sorry, you thought you were right again why exactly?

Here's an update:

http://i.imgur.com/ACPw8.png

Hastings101
Feb 5, 2012, 01:14 AM

Yea, 25% is way too dim for me too, my eyes have to strain a bit to see the screen, and I definitely do not need glasses lol. It must be a personal preference or some people live in really dark places.

TM WAZZA
Feb 5, 2012, 01:19 AM
If you can't see at 25% you need glasses, ok I call bs on that one.

mrsir2009
Feb 5, 2012, 01:29 AM

Depends on the environment. 25% is more than enough when you're inside by electric light. But it won't fair too well out in the sunshine...

Jare
Feb 5, 2012, 01:33 AM

Indoors, 25% is more then enough.

TM WAZZA
Feb 5, 2012, 01:56 AM
I'm just saying that 25% isn't comfortable for me. But do what you gotta do. Because I still am getting 7+ hours usage 1 day stand by on 45% brightness.

Stealthipad
Feb 5, 2012, 06:28 AM

Do not believe what some say here. Many have been known to "stretch" the truth which does no one any good here. it only causes battery envy!

Laidbackal
Feb 5, 2012, 07:04 AM
You all from different countries have great battery life.

----------

Good signal strengths too.

SR45
Feb 5, 2012, 07:47 AM
I'm just saying that 25% isn't comfortable for me. But do what you gotta do. Because I still am getting 7+ hours usage 1 day stand by on 45% brightness.

Agree with TM WAZZA.....

Some of the members have to realize, before jumping on someone and calling it BS, our eyes are different and many that are comfortable with 25% will not for others. Please try to refrain from bad mouthing others. I for one need at least 49+% setting to enjoy the screen. I read one post that someone turned it down to 0% and said it was enough, but that seemed way off, but how would I know, my eye sight is different.

;)

buddybd
Feb 5, 2012, 09:11 AM
Aside from that, forcing 25% brightness should not be needed to extend battery life anyway.

I personally don't really have issues, but after jailbreaking my phone, tweaks like Depersist Wifi really helped increase my battery life.

mrsir2009
Feb 5, 2012, 12:16 PM
Do not believe what some say here. Many have been known to "stretch" the truth which does no one any good here. it only causes battery envy!

Remember that guy who claimed to get a week out of his iPhone 4? :o

VulchR
Feb 5, 2012, 12:49 PM
My advice: a battery case. It protects the phone, provides a full day's power pretty much no matter what you do, and you can always remove it if you need to make you phone slim.

I use the Mophie JuicePack Air (http://www.mophie.com/mophie-juice-pack-air-iPhone-4-battery-case-p/1145_jpa-ip4-blk.htm) and I am very satisfied with it. No doubt other battery cases are also as good.