PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a good current site for setting up dev certificates and provisioning

chrono1081
Feb 4, 2012, 05:59 AM
Hi guys,

I'm currently setting up my developer certificates and as always the processes never goes smoothly.

I remembered in the past all I did was export my certificates using keychain assistant and installed them on my other machine, then created provisioning profiles for the apps I wanted and was good to go.

Now that is no longer working and Apples site is no help, I've followed all instructions to a T and I still get: "Xcode could not find a valid private-key/certificate pair for this profile in your keychain".

Has anyone perhaps came upon a recent tutorial on how to handle this? I love Apple but their code signing / provisioning stuff is complete crap and overly complicated.

jnoxx
Feb 4, 2012, 07:52 AM
"This no longer works"? Define that please, since I still do that.
I created a certificate on my MBP, and I exported it via a P12 to my iMac.
Use the same provisioning profile, and it still works.
You could start over by deleting everything and restarting the process, and maybe you skipped something, since it should work :)

dejo
Feb 4, 2012, 08:02 AM
This also might help:

iOS Development: Troubleshooting (https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Xcode/Conceptual/ios_development_workflow/40-iOS_Development_Troubleshooting_Guide/ios_development_troubleshooting.html)

firewood
Feb 4, 2012, 12:56 PM
Did you export your private keys via a .p12 to the new Mac? Do you have duplicate certificates in your new keychain? Are any certificates or provisions expired? Does a non-expired provision show up in Xcode's Organizer?

chrono1081
Feb 4, 2012, 03:27 PM
"This no longer works"? Define that please, since I still do that.
I created a certificate on my MBP, and I exported it via a P12 to my iMac.
Use the same provisioning profile, and it still works.
You could start over by deleting everything and restarting the process, and maybe you skipped something, since it should work :)

Honestly I tried so many trouble shooting steps that I didn't even know where to start explaining. I went through the whole process countless times.

I did export the certificates from my snow leopard desktop to my lion desktop (the same way I exported to my macbook air, which worked oddly).

I eventually got it working because I found some button in the Devices section of the Organizer that says "Add to Portal". On a whim I clicked it and it worked. I thought my devices were already in the portal since I've developed on them before numerous times and went there first to get them new provisioning profiles.

Oh well this whole process I think will always be confusing.

This also might help:

iOS Development: Troubleshooting (https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/Xcode/Conceptual/ios_development_workflow/40-iOS_Development_Troubleshooting_Guide/ios_development_troubleshooting.html)

Thanks! I didn't run across that document last night. Its bookmarked now.

Did you export your private keys via a .p12 to the new Mac? Do you have duplicate certificates in your new keychain? Are any certificates or provisions expired? Does a non-expired provision show up in Xcode's Organizer?

I did export and import the keys and, although I probably shouldn't have, out of frustration I deleted all the old keys and put the exported ones into keychain.

Thanks guys for all the tips. I ended up getting it working, it just stinks because I know I'll have to do it again soon especially when I start working on my next project in Unity.

jnoxx
Feb 5, 2012, 07:40 AM
Then try to take it easy step by step next time :)
Right click on the Private key on the pc you generated it with (just to be sure), right click, export as p12, with password.
Open it on the other pc, type in the password, download the PROVISIONING/DISTRIBUTION profile via the portal, and you should be ready to go ;)
YOu can allways go to organiser and press "refresh" on the provisioning files, it will automagically download all of the profiles, but not the private keys ;)

Greets, Noxx

chrono1081
Feb 5, 2012, 03:38 PM
Then try to take it easy step by step next time :)
Right click on the Private key on the pc you generated it with (just to be sure), right click, export as p12, with password.
Open it on the other pc, type in the password, download the PROVISIONING/DISTRIBUTION profile via the portal, and you should be ready to go ;)
YOu can allways go to organiser and press "refresh" on the provisioning files, it will automagically download all of the profiles, but not the private keys ;)

Greets, Noxx

Thanks for the tip! I'm saving this entire thread.

I don't know why but I always run in to issues every time I do this, and I've done it a good 20 times so far you'd think I'd get good at it by now ;)