Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I miss all of the wonderful, beautiful videos Apple did for it's products the first time you turn them on. I mean, look at this one, the Original Apple TV first-time boot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek74szX2vQ8

That gives me chills EVERYTIME. That is personally my favorite little "welcome" video Apple ever did. When you would see that show up on your HDTV you knew you were getting into something good. It's just jaw-dropping. Why can't we see more of that anymore? I was REALLY upset when I got my Macbook with Lion to find no little happy start-up video with welcome in multiple languages. It was kind of sad. I guess I'll just keep hitting replay on that video. Just imagine if we had something like that play on all of Apple's brand-new devices. They should do something JUST like that for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch, but instead of just videos, also show apps, music, and websites. I can't think of anything more exciting than turning on an iPad for the first time and seeing something like that. Or turning on an iMac for the first time and getting a friendly and beautiful "Hello" animation. Don't you agree?

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apparently others like such things, because some people always talk about the latest Droid startup animations.

On the other hand, I got a used Sony Dash the other day just to put in my daughter's playhouse, and whitle its welcome movie was neat, it was a bit too long for me. I hit the checkbox that said, don't show me on startup again :)

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Agree I was disappointed when I upgraded to Lion and there was no welcome video. It's definitely apart of the experience, remember the first time you start up a newly purchased mac and saw that snow leopard welcome screen? Was epic.

So I downgraded to Snow Leopard and saw the video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPTp-YInbJ0

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I bought my first Mac and that "welcome/wilkommen" video started up (Tiger) I was enthralled. That started what was to be a love affair with the Mac..... Never got quite the same feeling from the later OS introductions, and when I fired up Lion I was really disappointed to see that there was no welcome video at all. I've still got that "Tiger Intro Theme" in my iTunes library, though, as music only.....

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
You know, the more and more I think about it, the better I can picture the Apple TV intro, but for an iPad. You take the Take 2 Intro, and just replace the video clips with website images and different apps. I think it would work really really well. Don't you agree?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I do not mind welcome intro videos as long as they do not add anything to the boot up time. Instead all they are doing is running so you have something to watch while it is booting up.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I just got a new iMac on Friday and it had the welcome in many languages video play on the first start up. My MBA, however, didn't do it. Kind of odd, considering it's the same OS.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I just got a new iMac on Friday and it had the welcome in many languages video play on the first start up. My MBA, however, didn't do it. Kind of odd, considering it's the same OS.

Did it actually play a video or just have languages float around? Is it on Lion? o,o

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
It's the same video that dba415 posted above. Both, the iMac and the MBA, came with Lion installed but only the iMac played that video.

Wait, that doesn't make sense, because that's the Leopard/Snow Leopard intro video. I don't see why they would play that on the iMac with Lion but not the other computers. Did you get it directly from apple?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Wait, that doesn't make sense, because that's the Leopard/Snow Leopard intro video. I don't see why they would play that on the iMac with Lion but not the other computers. Did you get it directly from apple?

No, I got it from Amazon, actually. The box itself features all the Lion stuff (the current/new wallpaper, Thunderbolt) and also came with the the new keyboard. But this is the weird thing: their site states that it comes with SL and that you can get a free upgrade to Lion. If SL came installed would it make it sense to be shipped in the box that features the new Lion wallpaper? Plus I never had to download Lion and upgrade to it.

HOWEVER...maybe I'm wrong? I restored from a Time Machine backup from a 2011 Lion-based MBA, so maybe that automatically put Lion into the iMac? Is that even possible? I'm really not sure, but I can assure you that little intro was played during my first start up, and when my desktop appeared for the first time on the screen, it was exactly as it was from my MBA backup. Lion and all.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
No, I got it from Amazon, actually. The box itself features all the Lion stuff (the current/new wallpaper, Thunderbolt) and also came with the the new keyboard. But this is the weird thing: their site states that it comes with SL and that you can get a free upgrade to Lion. If SL came installed would it make it sense to be shipped in the box that features the new Lion wallpaper? Plus I never had to download Lion and upgrade to it.

HOWEVER...maybe I'm wrong? I restored from a Time Machine backup from a 2011 Lion-based MBA, so maybe that automatically put Lion into the iMac? Is that even possible? I'm really not sure, but I can assure you that little intro was played during my first start up, and when my desktop appeared for the first time on the screen, it was exactly as it was from my MBA backup. Lion and all.

Did it ship with restore discs?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
They were cool, especially after each new OS X release.

But I hated how you could never skip them. Annoying if you were reinstalling OS X etc!

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
When I bought my first Mac and that "welcome/wilkommen" video started up (Tiger) I was enthralled. That started what was to be a love affair with the Mac..... Never got quite the same feeling from the later OS introductions, and when I fired up Lion I was really disappointed to see that there was no welcome video at all. I've still got that "Tiger Intro Theme" in my iTunes library, though, as music only.....

That isn't even one of Weevil's better songs.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Hmmm. A few weeks ago I completely wiped my HD and did a clean install of Lion. I wasn't paying much attention... but I swear I saw some sort of intro. Now I'm really confused... maybe I'm just imaging things.... :confused: I don't feel like doing a complete reformat/reinstall again so I guess I won't find out :T

If they did get rid of the intro, I'd be a little sad. To me, it was one of the "extra" things that made Macs special.

motorazr

macrumors 6502
I do hope they decide to bring the welcome back. If its silly long, then yes, it would be annoying, but Apple's videos were about right I feel... you had a sleek, clean, 'look at how awesome my computer can be' moment. For myself, when that brand new box gets opened, and the power button is pushed for the first time... the first boot video / song just completes the moment. Its like the computer is ready to show off and its just as excited as you. Even if you're just upgrading the os, it was refreshing to see the next turn of the system, and your system shared the excitement.

Here's hoping they come back!

snowleopard48

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I loved the old intro videos. I used to know some people who worked in a shop that repaired Macs, and occasionally had to reinstall OS X onto them. Sometimes we'd sit there after the install and wait for the intro videos. This is no more. It's now a solemn, boring, serious black text on white background window. Not very creative, and certainly, not the apple I remembered.

It's sad, they were one of the very things that made macs just that little bit more beautiful and awesome, and now it's gone.

:(

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I actually don't miss the intro videos. I prefer it get to the start-up screen as quick as possible. I used to like them, but it wore off.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
It's 2013 and I still miss that welcome intro.
Bring it back to Mavericks....pretty please.
Or perhaps a new updated version, that would be cool.

Surprise us Apple!
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.