Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixtyten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I just got my 15" g4 pbook with 512 ram and decided before ordering I'd rather order ram on the side because it's much cheaper and easy to install.

first off, will installing new ram void my warranty?

And second, where should I buy a nice stick of 512mb for a good price? (as in, lower than apple's)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
sixtyten said:
I just got my 15" g4 pbook with 512 ram and decided before ordering I'd rather order ram on the side because it's much cheaper and easy to install.

first off, will installing new ram void my warranty?

And second, where should I buy a nice stick of 512mb for a good price? (as in, lower than apple's)

Hi 6010 (hope it's ok to call you that for short ;)

Good choice.
Installing RAM will not void your warranty - it's a user-installable part.
Depending where you live there are a number of sources.

You want to choose RAM from a reputable company who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model of Mac. It should come with a lifetime warranty and a no-charge return if it doesn't work.

There are varying opinions on these forums: in the USA at least MR members recommend Crucial, OWC, and others. I like Data Memory Systems www.datamem.com - you're looking at $59 for a 512Mb

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Yeah, I was going to do the same thing. But, I needed my 15" pb before tuesday, and to make a long story short... I ended up paying $200+ for the "ultimate" 15". Yeah, I would recomend crucial, I personally have always liked them, and many people highly recommend them. Also, upgrading ram dosn't void you warrenty on any mac computer. Except the mac mini, and maybe the eMac. I should check on the eMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.