PDA

View Full Version : My new iPod... The Classic (please don't axe it apple)

student_trap
Feb 5, 2012, 03:28 PM
Hello everyone,

it's been ages since I last started a thread here but I just had to express somewhere that I think my new classic (which is hardly new in reality as it hasn't changed since 09!) is absolutely brilliant.

So I am sitting here, typing this post on my iPad, my iPhone in my pocket, MacBook on the coffee table and mac pro in the office, but am waxing lyrical over what many would deem the most boring bit of apple tech I own.

Why do I like it so much... Because I had forgotten just how wonderful it is to have all my songs in my pocket again.

And that's it really, it's nice that it doesn't have apps, it's nice that nobody can interrupt my listening by phoning me, it's nice that I can change songs without looking at it. But what I truly enjoy is humming a random tune, reaching in my pocket, and being able to listen to it right away.

I know this post may sound totally useless, and in a way it is. But to all those who like their classic iPod, please just jot a reply below, in the hope that when our current classics die, we will be able to walk straight back into an apple store to buy another.:)

wrinkster22
Feb 5, 2012, 03:31 PM
Did you just get it?
I would love to have one

SuperCachetes
Feb 5, 2012, 03:32 PM
I like my 80GB video iPod, but now it stays in the car's glovebox, where it could just as easily be a little portable hard drive. We had some good times, though. ;)

student_trap
Feb 5, 2012, 03:34 PM
Did you just get it?
I would love to have one

Yeah I just bought one. I've had many in the past, but been iPhone/touch/iPad only for the last few years.:)

wrinkster22
Feb 5, 2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah I just bought one. I've had many in the past, but been iPhone/touch/iPad only for the last few years.:)

did you obsess over the right case and all that?
Like 1/4 of MR threads have to do with iPhone 4s cases...

student_trap
Feb 5, 2012, 03:48 PM
did you obsess over the right case and all that?
Like 1/4 of MR threads have to do with iPhone 4s cases...

I actually bought a case for it before purchasing the unit itself! But I only got it to make it look smarter for work. Outside of work It goes au natural... My previous iPods have all lasted well without cases, and I like to see the design when I use it!

For those interested, here is the case I bought...

http://www.knomobags.com/uk/men/apple/ipod-classic-case/

TheSuperSteve
Feb 5, 2012, 07:05 PM
I would love to have an iPod classic as well. Something without apps that I don't have to manage. Something I can just drop all my content without having to think about it. Which is why I don't use my iPod touch anymore. Its too tempting to run it like I run my iPad and iPhone. Dropping a ton of apps on it and organizing it "just right" which drives me mad.

I'm waiting for it to come down in price before I buy one though. $249 is a wee bit too high for me for a media device using a spinning hard-drive. Feels a tad bit more fragile than an iPhone.

Rawkfist
Feb 6, 2012, 09:16 AM
I hope the Classic survives. A bump in capacity and maybe a better DAC would be nice. But really. I would settle for it just hanging around.

ScottNWDW
Feb 6, 2012, 09:37 AM
I like my 80GB video iPod, but now it stays in the car's glovebox, where it could just as easily be a little portable hard drive. We had some good times, though. ;)

I've had my 80GB classic iPod for years now as del and since getting my new Chevy Cruze a few months back it stays in the car now. It was great on a road trip to Key West, I made a long playlist and had iTunes randomize the songs and plugged it into the jack in the car and we listened to music for 8 straight hours with no two songs repeating. It was great and my travel companions loved it.

TheNewDude
Feb 6, 2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah my classic sits in the glovebox too. It's connected directly to the stereo system in the car. I can access the all my music right from my car's stereo. The only time i take the ipod out is when i want to add more music to it. Otherwise it just sits there and does it's thing!

I have the 60GB version and that's PLENTY of music.

PieVine96
Feb 6, 2012, 05:42 PM
My dad got a Classic (or the iPod ''Video'' to some) back in 2005, when I was 9 or so, and I've been holding off the newest Classic for a good few years now- ended up with an iPod Touch that broke after only 4 months, but will definitely get the Classic if they bring out a new one..

Glass screen, 1080p HD, enough battery life for music and films, and of course 250/320gb...

Oh, and what about a white front!? One can dream.. :rolleyes:

wordsworth
Feb 7, 2012, 11:16 AM
I bought a Classic a while back when there was talk of it being axed from the Apple product line. I'd been slow to include the iPod in my tech repertoire but after a few months with my iPod Nano 5G (bought when the Nano 6G had just launched, and which I didn't like as a design at all), I was convinced of their merit as a functional tool.

I haven't taken the iPod Classic from its box yet (it's the black iPod, by the way) but I have plenty of music to load onto it once my Nano is full. That's the point when I'll begin putting my entire music collection onto the Classic, but I'm in no hurry. And it could take a while!

Yes, I hope that they keep the Classic and upgrade it. We'll see…

rogan
Feb 7, 2012, 12:53 PM
My dad got a Classic (or the iPod ''Video'' to some) back in 2005, when I was 9 or so, and I've been holding off the newest Classic for a good few years now- ended up with an iPod Touch that broke after only 4 months, but will definitely get the Classic if they bring out a new one..

Glass screen, 1080p HD, enough battery life for music and films, and of course 250/320gb...

Oh, and what about a white front!? One can dream.. :rolleyes:

1080p on a 2.5" screen, gl ;]

Scepticalscribe
Feb 7, 2012, 06:41 PM
Hello everyone,

it's been ages since I last started a thread here but I just had to express somewhere that I think my new classic (which is hardly new in reality as it hasn't changed since 09!) is absolutely brilliant.

So I am sitting here, typing this post on my iPad, my iPhone in my pocket, MacBook on the coffee table and mac pro in the office, but am waxing lyrical over what many would deem the most boring bit of apple tech I own.

Why do I like it so much... Because I had forgotten just how wonderful it is to have all my songs in my pocket again.

And that's it really, it's nice that it doesn't have apps, it's nice that nobody can interrupt my listening by phoning me, it's nice that I can change songs without looking at it. But what I truly enjoy is humming a random tune, reaching in my pocket, and being able to listen to it right away.

I know this post may sound totally useless, and in a way it is. But to all those who like their classic iPod, please just jot a reply below, in the hope that when our current classics die, we will be able to walk straight back into an apple store to buy another.:)

Lovely idea for a thread and I agree with you completely.

I, too, have a classic (an 80GB which travels with me everywhere) and I also have the 64GB Touch, which, frankly, I use mainly as a music listening device as well. Along with almost everyone else who has posted in this thread, I love the idea of being able to carry my music in one device.

Given that I travel a lot (sometimes, to strange and occasionally inhospitable countries), I value being able to have my music collection readily to hand.

Tadros86
Feb 8, 2012, 07:06 PM
Between iPods being broken and stolen by ex girlfriends, I've been through about 8. I went a couple years without having one, wishing I had it again. Then my lovely girlfriend got me a current gen 160 GB Black iPod classic for my Birthday. Man do I love this thing! I only have about 9Gb free, and it's fantastic having all that in my pocket again. Every Podcast or song on my computer, now in my pocket again! It's great for car rides too. Can't wait to move to Cali and use this baby across country!

I do really hope Apple never discontinues this device. I don't want an iPod Touch since my iPhone is basically a better iPod Touch... I rather have the classic click wheel! I love just hitting a physical button and not having to look at a glass screen to choose the next song! But ah, all things must eventually come to an end right? And it sure does seem like the iPod era is coming to an end. Especially since the "iPod" section of the iPhone - the very convenient way of having my music and movies grouped together - is now gone. I miss that damn icon!

OwenMeasures
Feb 14, 2012, 04:04 AM
I have had iPod Touch & Nanos just thought my iPhone 4S can do all that my Touch can do... i then bought a 160GB Black iPod Classic and havnt looked back!!

I think it would be silly for Apple to axe the Classic, people that buy iPod Touch are young people that dont have an iPhone and want to play games, but alot of people (like ourselves) have a huge music library and just want an iPod that can have our whole library on it... not having to sacrifice song to put other on because you have ran out of memory. :apple:

----------

I also have a little latest Gen iPod Shuffle (for the gym) love that too, just for its simplicity!!

TOMIMOT
Feb 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hello everyone,

I totally agree with you, I have an iPhone 4S and as soon as i heard that the iPod classic was discontinued i knew i had to get one. Yes its simple just strictly music and videos etc. But thats all i need in a music player really. I don't know The classic is just "classic" i had one 4 years ago back in high school it broke on me and ever since I've been sticking with an iPhone this whole time, its good to be re-united once again with an iPod.

RIP iPod Classic

macgeek18
Feb 28, 2012, 10:34 PM
Had anoption to buy one today, i bought the 6G 8GB nano instead. I love 160GB of storage, and the design, but believe it or not the FM radio was the deal breaker. (I don't have a stereo in my truck, the reason I got the nano with the radio.) It sure looked beautiful though, was very tempted. Just still a clickwheel fan.:D

todd2000
Feb 29, 2012, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I am going to be getting a Classic soon (I hope). I had a 30GB iPod Color (remember those) for a few years, and my friends bought me a 32GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch for Christmas like 3 years ago. I love it and it's still working well, but it is out of space. I love all the extra features of the Touch, but I really don't like it as much as a music player. Having to take it out of my pocket, and look at the screen to change tracks is annoying. I know I can get a remote, but still... I also like being able to carry all of my music with me, you never know what you might want to listen to at any given moment.

Right now I have about 32GB of music, which isn't a ton for some people, but wont fit on my Touch. I thought about getting a Refurb 64GB touch for the same price as a Classic, but at the rate Im going 64 won't last that long. I have a phone that can run apps and surf the web, without Wifi mind you, so I really don't need an iPod that can do those things. I just want a device that is designed to do what the iPod was originally made for, which is wait for it...... play music!

nate13
Feb 29, 2012, 06:51 PM
I just recently got a hold of a 7th gen 160GB classic and it is WONDERFUL! Between the genius mixes and having all of my music right in my pocket... It is simply wonderful.

It was my first Apple product and now I have the iPhone 4s. As simply amazing as the 4s is, I just can not seem to stop using my Classic. There is something about it that will never be able to be disregarded or duplicated.

Look at the iPod Classic. This is where it all began and the Classic is still just as valuable to it's owners now as it was then. the elegance, the simplicity, the functionality. Apple got it right from the start.

Yaboze
Mar 1, 2012, 09:37 AM
Nice, I love my Classic and I say it every day if I have to. I love having everything with me at all times and not having to pair down songs to fit on the smaller iPods.

macgeek18
Mar 1, 2012, 08:35 PM
Returned the nano today and bought a black iPod Classic. syncing it now, never owned a click wheel so im excited to finally own one.

Gorion
Mar 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
I had a black 80GB (or was it 60?). I think it was the 2nd iPod Color that came out. It was nice to be able to switch songs without having to look at it. I miss that.
I have a 4th Gen iPod touch now. I really like it, but there are certain things that I miss about the click wheel...

RenoG
Mar 5, 2012, 11:06 AM
Love my classic, it mostly stays connected to the home theater. I have 60g video and that stays connected in the car.

kywildcats
Mar 5, 2012, 11:34 AM
I have a 30 gb right now. I use it almost daily. I can not stand the thought of getting one of the other iPods. Breaks my heart to think that they might give it the axe. I am going to be getting a new one before much longer.

touchmonkey
Mar 5, 2012, 11:38 AM
160g Classic, full, 90% lossless, FTW.

Rawkfist
Mar 5, 2012, 06:33 PM
120gb full of 100% ALAC. Seriously considering buying a 240gb 5th gen or go a 7th gen 240gb for the same price. Kinda like the Genius playlist capabilities. Rapid Repair sells them. I'm gonna give Apple a little more time to see what they're gonna do before I drop $400.00!

macgeek18
Mar 5, 2012, 08:52 PM
I'm using my classic now more than I ever used my shuffle and Touch. I don't know whats up with that but it's easier to use a scroll wheel in the car than a touch for some reason.

dougie555
Mar 10, 2012, 02:45 PM
I have a ipod classic 120gb and I take it with me everywhere. It has 100gb music on it and still growing. I only want a mp3 player to play music and not to play games or phone etc.
It would be a sad thing if they stop making the classic. No other mp3 player offers the amount of storage.
The Ipod Classic is the best.
Hopes that Apple dont stop it as soon my harddrive will be full and then i will need more storage and theres nothing else about that offers storage like the classic.

Sol
Mar 10, 2012, 08:27 PM
If the iPod Classic gets updated with a higher capacity drive, it might just hold my whole music library in Apple Lossless format. Apple should acknowledge those of us who appreciate the best audio quality and re-design the Classic with this in mind. As well as the larger capacity, they could also include a superior DAC and headphone amp component to really show off the higher quality files that will fit on it.

DJHonda84
Mar 10, 2012, 11:43 PM
I love my iPod classic! I use it daily, and see no reason to rely on a network connection to have all of my music with me. The idea of shifting toward cloud-based music storage is too flawed in too many obvious ways for me to give it a serious thought. Also, my experience has shown me that hard disks aren't evil. I'm on my third hard-disk iPod and never had any problems. I've used all of my iPods heavily and haven't babied them. Only replaced when upgrading. Hopefully Apple will keep this gem around at least until the iPhone can hold 256GB locally.

I admit that the classic's UI does feel dated, but I wouldn't change a thing about it other than a capacity boost. :D

I totally agree with you, I have an iPhone 4S and as soon as i heard that the iPod classic was discontinued i knew i had to get one. Yes its simple just strictly music and videos etc. But thats all i need in a music player really. I don't know The classic is just "classic" i had one 4 years ago back in high school it broke on me and ever since I've been sticking with an iPhone this whole time, its good to be re-united once again with an iPod.

RIP iPod Classic
It has not been discontinued. New units still for sale on Apple's website and elsewhere.

Meatball
Mar 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
I love my iPod Classic! Stores my entire lossless itunes collection for playback on car stereo or my BeatsBox :).

touchmonkey
Mar 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
I had to apologize to a friend when I argued that you couldn't tell the difference between a lossless/cd version and a high bit-rate mp3.
You can.
Mp3's were created when storage space was a problem. With a high capacity unit like the iPod Classic, that's less of a problem. They should upgrade it, not discontinue it.
I'm enjoying quality over quantity, and hearing what I've been listening to for years, as if for the first time.
There probably is a thread about this already, but I'm now a lossless convert. Artists should join the fight to hear their music as they recorded it.
Neil Young met with Jobs about the issue, and although it wasn't resolved at the time he noted that Steve listened to his music on vinyl.
Mp3's aren't totally evil (almost, but not totally), but everything has unintended consequences.
Convenience can be an enemy.

puma1552
Mar 11, 2012, 05:04 PM
The only thing I'm sad about is the fact hardly anyone posts in this forum anymore. Then again, Apple hasn't been giving us much to post about.:cool:

I love my Classic, listening to it now, and took it out of it's case for the afternoon to enjoy it's form factor (bought it in '09 after release, still absolutely flawless with a very healthy battery). Still waiting for Apple to give it a refresh.

I really think this year is do or die for it. I really think this will be the year that it either gets updated or dropped altogether. With Cook at the helm, it just might have a chance at being updated, we know Jobs likely didn't care for it but maybe Cook will breathe a little life into it.

Just bump the capacity, glass screen with a little better resolution (size is fine, just not so pixelated), maybe a small tweak or two for the GUI, and maybe a new front plate or some subtle tweak to it cosmetically to make it look fresh again. I'd buy one instantly.

Swampthing
Mar 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
My 160GB iPod Classic is still in use each day on my commute to work and back. The larger capacity is enough to hold thousands of songs, audio books, and the latest synced podcasts that I listen to. I love the simplicity of OS 2.0.4 and the impressive battery life blows away the iOS devices.

My fear is that either one of two things will happen. Apple will drop the Classic completely since it hasn't even been mentioned in years now. Or worse, it will be remade into some iOS device.

What I want is larger capacity, maybe more impressive graphic resolution on the screen - perhaps a retina screen - but keep the same form factor. With all the iOS devices I have, I still couldn't sufficiently replace my iPod Classic with any of them. :apple:

touchmonkey
Mar 11, 2012, 05:53 PM
Could we have dox on Jobs not liking the iPod?

Larrupin
Mar 11, 2012, 09:54 PM
I love my classic too.....tried the touch and it just didn't have the same magic. I hope Apple gives the classic another refresh and doesn't just drop it.

glittersparkles
Mar 12, 2012, 10:31 AM
i was given a 6th gen nano in replacement of my 1st gen nano, and i have to say i hate it.
i also have a Classic, and a Mini, and i prefer them so much more - the classic the most, however the mini i use for the bus etc., but i like the feel of the click wheels, and the screens being normal (e.g. not touchscreen), they are so much more hardwearing! apple needs to put more advertising and ideas into the classic, then people will buy them more. not necessarily adding wifi or anything like that, as the classic is simply a classic music player, fully of reliability; but an update at last would be nice!

i got my classic in 2008 and its still holding strong :)

blkjedi954
Mar 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
Hello everyone,

=====================================================

For ALL the same reasons you mentioned, I share the same affection and love for my 160GB iPod Classic. My music library being everywhere that I am. I couldn't imagine a world without my Classic. Coming from the owner of a 32GB 3GS, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64GB iPhone 4S (all black) and 3 iPod touches from 2nd gen to 4th gen, an iPod shuffle for workouts and a recently purchased 160GB Classic for my vast music library, I would have to say that my affection for the Classic was surprisingly intense. Never knew that I would love it the way that I do.

Jez27
Mar 12, 2012, 02:23 PM
I recently saw a video on YouTube where someone stumbled across an "old" iPod and they were reminiscing about the click-wheel and a time before touch-screens and apps and the like.

It got me thinking myself, wasn't it an awesome time when MP3 players, or iPods, simply played music and nothing else?

My iPad doesn't hold any of my music, just movies/games/media apps. My iPhone has a selection of songs on it, but once you've heard them (it's a 16GB and has to cope with apps/photos etc as well as music) you've heard them all.

Then I've got the iPod Touch. The thing that came before any Apple device I had (other than an old 8GB Nano that I sold to a mate of mine). 32GB but also has the same distractions on it in the form of apps, games and the internet.

I'm seriously considering palming that off onto someone and investing in a Classic, myself. It's awesome having your entire music library in your pocket, instead of a repetitive collection, and the feeling of using a click-wheel these days is ever so slightly nostalgic - even though it feels like it was only yesterday that every iPod had one.

TL;DR - Nothing beats the feeling of a click-wheel & being back in a time before apps & mobile internet were distracting you from the music that your iPod was there to serve you with!

Kid A
Mar 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
look, i wouldn't hold my breath for the iPod classic, folks.
it's dead.

I'm surprised the classic is still for sale, but it can't live forever.

Unless.... wait wait wait...
Scrap the bulky form-factor and hard drive (ick, IMO)... Resurrect the clickwheel iPod nano form factor. Just call it "the new iPod". Slap in 32, 64, and 128 (is that doable yet?) GB flash storage options. Give it bluetooth and WiFi for wireless syncing/iTunes match/AirPlay! I'd buy that yesterday. I just don't like the idea of carrying around a clunky classic with hard drive, IMO. True, nothing like that will ever happen... but, I guess the point of my little excursion into fantasy-land is that I nonetheless feel for you classic lovers.

But back to reality....
ummm....
iTunes Match, people. time marches on. :rolleyes:

(yes, i know, blah blah, lossless, etc.)

macgeek18
Mar 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
The last 2 weeks I've been using my classic on my 20 minute drive to work and back and for two weeks have never touched it but hit play and forward and never heard the same song twice. Incredible.
Oh I also never have charged it in two weeks. I'm so impressed I'll probably never buy another iPod but a Classic.

Sol
Mar 15, 2012, 07:08 PM
Scrap the bulky form-factor and hard drive (ick, IMO)... Resurrect the clickwheel iPod nano form factor. Just call it "the new iPod". Slap in 32, 64, and 128 (is that doable yet?) GB flash storage options. Give it bluetooth and WiFi for wireless syncing/iTunes match/AirPlay! I'd buy that yesterday. I just don't like the idea of carrying around a clunky classic with hard drive, IMO. True, nothing like that will ever happen... but, I guess the point of my little excursion into fantasy-land is that I nonetheless feel for you classic lovers.

In my experience with a 3rd gen iPod (I think; it was the last monochrome screen click-wheel model), the hard drive was the weakest part that broke down every two years or so of daily use. The hard drives used today are probably more reliable and it is good to have the option of an iPod with comparatively massive storage capacity for lossless libraries. From Apple's point of view, the current iPod Classic would fill that gap in their product line and an SSD version of it would be pointless because they already have the iPod Touch.

Having said that, maybe it is possible to replace the hard drive of the Classic with an SSD. There are probably a few threads on Mac Rumours about this already.

penfan82
Mar 15, 2012, 07:21 PM
I have iphone 4s iPad and at touch but have always said I love my classic best I love having almost all of music withme especially on long trips hoping they never do away with it

serafko
Mar 16, 2012, 03:11 AM
In my experience with a 3rd gen iPod (I think; it was the last monochrome screen click-wheel model), the hard drive was the weakest part that broke down every two years or so of daily use. The hard drives used today are probably more reliable and it is good to have the option of an iPod with comparatively massive storage capacity for lossless libraries. From Apple's point of view, the current iPod Classic would fill that gap in their product line and an SSD version of it would be pointless because they already have the iPod Touch.

Having said that, maybe it is possible to replace the hard drive of the Classic with an SSD. There are probably a few threads on Mac Rumours about this already.

Link to a thread about IPOD and SSD

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread

someone28624
Mar 16, 2012, 03:55 AM
My Classic just died last month and despite my iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro, just like you said, I walked right to the apple store and replaced it. It was so nice to be able to do that. I still marvel at the iPod Classic every time I use it.

JerZyT28
Mar 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
I've had my 80GB classic iPod for years now as del and since getting my new Chevy Cruze a few months back it stays in the car now. It was great on a road trip to Key West, I made a long playlist and had iTunes randomize the songs and plugged it into the jack in the car and we listened to music for 8 straight hours with no two songs repeating. It was great and my travel companions loved it.

I waited until I found a great deal, got my 80gb iPod video today...I love it so far...I bought so when my gti gets here, I'll have my whole music library in the car without having to curse myself for not putting certain music on it (ex. My 16gb nano)

Sylent Syd
Mar 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
I've wanted a Classic for a long time, and am really excited to finally be getting one. (I'd earned enough reward points through my CC company to redeem a free one).

I currently have an 8GB iPod Touch, which I've had for over two years. Unfortunately it's not iCloud compatible, so deciding what songs I want to axe in favour of newer songs is a painstaking process. So the 160GB will do the trick for me.

And I'm also of the mindset that it'll be discontinued sooner than later, and that makes me want one even more! :cool:

Silverbird0000
Apr 4, 2012, 03:56 PM
Hello everyone,

With iTunes Match, your iOS devices will have access to your entire library. After I started using iTunes Match, I stopped using my iPods. I am an iPod collector, but I don't use them very much for music anymore, they have become more of a decoration. I am looking to buy an new iPod Classic as the newest iPod I added to my collection was a 5G Classic. I really hope Apple does not kill the Classic. I believe it is the only true iPod. The Nano is cute, but does not hold enough music, and the shuffle is just a joke.

Flake
Apr 5, 2012, 01:27 AM
my current dream device is an iPod classic but perhaps slightly thinner with flash storage and higher resolution screen. most important is the click wheel though. the clicker on my old 2g nano is broken and it makes me very sad. I'm going to keep a click wheel for a long time.

InuNacho
Apr 6, 2012, 04:43 PM
Put a radio in the Classic and I'm sold (again).

sinser
Apr 7, 2012, 02:13 AM
And I'm also of the mindset that it'll be discontinued sooner than later, and that makes me want one even more! :cool:

Go for it. I bought mine a few months ago and I'm happy with it. It's a timeless device, all function and no frills.

thefeebster
Apr 7, 2012, 04:04 PM
The day they stop making these is the same day i go and hoard them!

Bought the 5G when it came out, it died in 2009. Got the 6G right after and haven't looked back. I simply can not imagine life without a classic and having the option to have my whole music collection in my pocket. I transit every day and this never leaves my side.

Its survived many tumbles out of my pocket, a bit dented at the corners but still runs flawlessly. I too love the simplicity of the click wheel and the interface. Only thing i'd change is directed at the 3rd party case creators! Pretty difficult to find anything in stores nowadays. Good thing for ebay.

peapody
Apr 7, 2012, 06:43 PM
I just got one a couple weeks ago...really love having all my songs in my pocket.

Been really hard to find a case though. I settled on a poorly applied wrapsol, that I am not digging too much. The last time the classic has been updated it was Sept 2009. So about 950 days since last update, whereas each cycle has been about 300 days before that. I'll probably pick up a couple more if Apple discontinues the classic.

sinser
Apr 7, 2012, 06:49 PM
I just got one a couple weeks ago...really love having all my songs in my pocket.

Been really hard to find a case though. I settled on a poorly applied wrapsol, that I am not digging too much.

I have this (http://www.iskin.com/evo4_overview.html) one and it's perfect. It's still on sale.

Sylent Syd
Apr 9, 2012, 05:13 PM
Go for it. I bought mine a few months ago and I'm happy with it. It's a timeless device, all function and no frills.

I did go for it - got it last week - and i LOVE it! :D So great to have all my music in my pocket - and still with under a 100GB to fill up. I've been ripping a good portion of my vinyl collection with my Macbook Pro and Garage Band to add to it as well.

I'm keeping my iPod Touch - Just restored it to the factory settings and using it for apps.

kuebby
Apr 9, 2012, 06:21 PM
I also LOVE my classic, at least as much as any other piece of Apple tech I own, because it's perfectly crafted for what it does.

I was in a slightly altered state of mind the other day and I was explaining to my friends how the iPod classic is the perfect piece of technology for what it does. The only improvements I could really imagine, or even desire, would be more capacity (unnecessary for me right now, but I could see it in the future) and an SSD (too costly now, but again, in the future...).

For just listening to music it really is perfect. It's just the right size to fit in your hand and be completely usable with just one hand; the scroll wheel and text menus really are the best way to navigate 100s of artists.

Personally, I plan on continuing to own a classic until I can get my music collection safely implanted in my brain.

MultiFinder17
Apr 9, 2012, 08:21 PM
My trusty old 30GB 5G is still kickin'! I use it heavily, even though I have an iPhone and an iPad. One of its primary uses is as a carPod, as I can operate it without having to look down at it (Aaah, physical buttons). At this point in its life, I believe that only the back plate, headphone jack assembly, internal frame, and click wheel are original - everything else (front, center button, logic board, LCD, HDD, battery) has been replaced at one time or another. Still, I love that it's easy to open up and work on, which is one of the things that has kept me on the 5G and not the 6G.

JMG
Apr 10, 2012, 12:56 AM
I still have and use my 160gb Classic in one of my cars to play videos to the monitor. Perfect for the kid on long drives! I can't fit all of my movies on my iPhones or iPad so it fills that role nicely. I have gotten over the click wheel though. If they ever release a 100+gb iTouch, the Classic will be retired. So much more functionality with a touchscreen to find music and make playlists etc.

bobbyjames
Apr 10, 2012, 07:21 AM
if Apple were to axe the Classic this year, when roughly could it happen? June? September? I've been thinking about getting a Classic for a while now as I've filled my iPod Touch up and I don't need it for the apps anymore as I've got an iPhone. Part of me has stopped myself buying though in case they do update it this year. Will we likely hear any plausible rumours leading up to an announcement either way on the Classic?

Zendokan
Apr 10, 2012, 10:12 AM
Well, I hope that a 7th generation of the Classic comes, for me Apple has to do only one thing: replace the hard drive with a SSD; That's all.

I bought last Saturday an iPod Nano 16GB after extensively testing the Shuffle, Nano, Touch and Classic.

The Shuffle was disgarded right away: a music player without screen...nothing for me.
The Touch was overkill in functionality and too expensive GB wise with previous generation technology, because I already own an iPhone 4S and iPad 2. It's a great device and perfect as an intro to the Maciverse, but I'm already in it.

So this left the Nano and the Classic. The Classic could store all my music, lay perfect in the hand and had a better sound than the Nano and still I bought a Nano and the sole reason was that the Classic has a HD.
Something that I'm not a fan of in portable devices, especially now that notebooks are making the switch to SSDs.

So, I hope that Apple brings an identical Classic as the 6th gen out with a 64, 128 or 256 Gb SSD and I'll be the first to buy it.

Silverbird0000
Apr 10, 2012, 10:31 AM
Well, I hope that a 7th generation of the Classic comes, for me Apple has to do only one thing: replace the hard drive with a SSD; That's all.

I bought last Saturday an iPod Nano 16GB after extensively testing the Shuffle, Nano, Touch and Classic.

The Shuffle was disgarded right away: a music player without screen...nothing for me.
The Touch was overkill in functionality and too expensive GB wise with previous generation technology, because I already own an iPhone 4S and iPad 2. It's a great device and perfect as an intro to the Maciverse, but I'm already in it.

So this left the Nano and the Classic. The Classic could store all my music, lay perfect in the hand and had a better sound than the Nano and still I bought a Nano and the sole reason was that the Classic has a HD.
Something that I'm not a fan of in portable devices, especially now that notebooks are making the switch to SSDs.

So, I hope that Apple brings an identical Classic as the 6th gen out with a 64, 128 or 256 Gb SSD and I'll be the first to buy it.

The current model is the 7th Generation. A new one would be the 8th Generation.

kokako
Apr 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
I hope the keep the classic going but I doubt they will it doesn't really sell much now.
I bought classics from 2001 until around 2008, now I'm on iPhones and iTunes match, most of my stuff is ALAC, just though I'd future proof my iTunes collection early on, I have some AIFF stuff from early on, I have close to a TB of music now, some high end monitors and some good cans but I don't notice the quality too much between the iTunes match 256 stuff and the lossless, iTunes only has to flick a switch and we'll get the ALAC version and they'll do that eventually just like they moved from 128 to 256, for anyone that's ever submitted music to iTunes for sale you'll remember from day one it was submitted through iTunes producer software as AIFF now ALAC so it's all lossless on their servers, when you buy it it's encoded on the fly to 256.
Classics are great iconic design and totally convenient, imatch is great and you can listen to the stuff before its downloaded so very spotifyish in that respect but classics still do have a place hope they live on ...but they won't.

jcchristopher
Apr 11, 2012, 11:46 PM
I like having my whole music collection available to me in my car--but since it's now up to 1TB, the classic is the only thing that comes close.
I don't understand why they haven't put a bigger HD in it though.

Chaucer498
Apr 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
I still have the original Ipod. The very first one that was firewire only and I swear it still works every bit as good as it did when I first took it out of the box. The battery still keeps a charge too. I take it out every so often and plug it in and listen to the old songs I have on it. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I remember plugging that bad boy into a firewire port of a PC and getting an automatic BSOD. lol Love that Ipod.

Zendokan
Apr 13, 2012, 10:17 AM
The current model is the 7th Generation. A new one would be the 8th Generation.

IIRC:
1st generation: October 23, 2001
1st generation revision 1: March 21, 2002
2nd generation: July 17, 2002
3rd generation: April 28, 2003
3rd generation revision 1: September 8, 2003
3rd generation revision 2: January 6, 2004
4th generation: July 19, 2004
4th generation with Photo: October 26, 2004
4th generation with Photo revision 1: February 23, 2005
4th generation with Colour display: June 28, 2005
5th generation: October 12, 2005
5th generation revision 1: September 12, 2006
6th generation: September 5, 2007
6th generation revision 1: September 9, 2008
6th generation revision 2: September 9, 2009

The next one would be the 7th generation.

Silverbird0000
Apr 15, 2012, 01:55 PM
IIRC:
1st generation: October 23, 2001
1st generation revision 1: March 21, 2002
2nd generation: July 17, 2002
3rd generation: April 28, 2003
3rd generation revision 1: September 8, 2003
3rd generation revision 2: January 6, 2004
4th generation: July 19, 2004
4th generation with Photo: October 26, 2004
4th generation with Photo revision 1: February 23, 2005
4th generation with Colour display: June 28, 2005
5th generation: October 12, 2005
5th generation revision 1: September 12, 2006
6th generation: September 5, 2007
6th generation revision 1: September 9, 2008
6th generation revision 2: September 9, 2009

The next one would be the 7th generation.

From everyipod.com:

As introduced on September 9, 2008, the Apple iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) was equipped with a 120 GB 4200 RPM ATA-66 hard drive capable of supporting "up to" 30,000 songs in "128-Kbps AAC format" or "up to" 150 hours of video. On September 9, 2009, Apple upgraded the hard drive to 160 GB -- increasing the capacity to 40,000 songs or 200 hours of video -- and adding support for "Genius Mixes" via a software patch on September 28, 2009, but it otherwise essentially is identical (some refer to this configuration as the "3rd Generation" iPod classic or the 8th Generation iPod).

Externally, the iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) models also effectively are identical to the 80 GB version of the "original" iPod classic (6th Generation) that these models replaced -- the "original" 160 GB configuration only varies in thickness -- with a 2.5" color LCD display with an LED backlight (320x240, 163 ppi) and either a silver or black anodized aluminum front and a chromed stainless steel back. Like the "original" iPod classic models, the iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) models also do not support video out directly from the headphone jack, but only from the dock, an unfortunate "downgrade" from the iPod 5th Generation Enhanced models.

peapody
Apr 15, 2012, 02:21 PM

I don't see the point of a 64gb classic...and it is even a stretch at 128gb. The market that the classic hits is for those with massive libraries that cant be fit into the ssd line up.

It has been 3 years since the last classic refresh. Not sure if it is looking good or bad for an classic refresh.

millar876
Apr 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
I love my classic, it lives inside my sony car stereo and i can control it with my steering wheel controlls. its a 5th gen 120GB silver one.

Ive had, Original mac only 5Gb iPod, 3rd Gen, Photo, video then my current one. each time I've only upgraded due to the newer ones of the highest capacity, as my library grew by number of songs, bit rate or both. after iTunes matching my library (saves a few weeks of recodes) of just over 12000 songs i have around 8GB left. and i can no longer fit all my audio books on it at the same time as my music. I'm kind of waiting for an upgrade or a higher capacity iPod Touch. the wifi synching on that would be handy, the thing would never have to leave my car

kaielement
Apr 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
As my music collection has grown so has my iPods started off with 4th gen 20gb iPod and I never thought I would fill that up but I did moved on to 40 gb 3rd den filled that up and then got a 30gb 5th gen iPod video and didn't have enough room. When the 160 gb cam out I grabbed it and have owned two now and I have about 80 gb of music and some movies and still have about 30gb left. So yeah my collection is still growing so it would be nice to have like a 250gb or something.

Zendokan
Apr 16, 2012, 04:09 AM
From everyipod.com:

As introduced on September 9, 2008, the Apple iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) was equipped with a 120 GB 4200 RPM ATA-66 hard drive capable of supporting "up to" 30,000 songs in "128-Kbps AAC format" or "up to" 150 hours of video. On September 9, 2009, Apple upgraded the hard drive to 160 GB -- increasing the capacity to 40,000 songs or 200 hours of video -- and adding support for "Genius Mixes" via a software patch on September 28, 2009, but it otherwise essentially is identical (some refer to this configuration as the "3rd Generation" iPod classic or the 8th Generation iPod).

Externally, the iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) models also effectively are identical to the 80 GB version of the "original" iPod classic (6th Generation) that these models replaced -- the "original" 160 GB configuration only varies in thickness -- with a 2.5" color LCD display with an LED backlight (320x240, 163 ppi) and either a silver or black anodized aluminum front and a chromed stainless steel back. Like the "original" iPod classic models, the iPod classic (Late 2008/7th Generation) models also do not support video out directly from the headphone jack, but only from the dock, an unfortunate "downgrade" from the iPod 5th Generation Enhanced models.

This is just a case of "You say tomato and I say Potato" ;)

On some sites, the september 2008 upgrade is called "6th generation Revision 1" and on other sites it's called "7th generation".

I'll just start calling it "The future 'New iPod Classic' " :D to keep in the trend of "New iPad".

Zendokan
Apr 16, 2012, 04:32 AM
I don't see the point of a 64gb classic...and it is even a stretch at 128gb. The market that the classic hits is for those with massive libraries that cant be fit into the ssd line up.

It has been 3 years since the last classic refresh. Not sure if it is looking good or bad for an classic refresh.

I think that the market that the Classic hits has two parts:
1) those with massive libraries
2) those that want a device that plays music without all the other options that iOS devices provide (namely the Touch).

If Apple can get the price and size down of SSD, a 64gb, 128gb and 256gb line would sell.

The 64gb as step in to the series would be profitable enough.
Not everyone needs to walk around with all of his collection because in that case I would walk around with 11 iPods Classic.
I've got several "playlists" in iTunes that I switch between.

kyjaotkb
Apr 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
This is just a case of "You say tomato and I say Potato" ;)

On some sites, the september 2008 upgrade is called "6th generation Revision 1" and on other sites it's called "7th generation".

I'll just start calling it "The future 'New iPod Classic' " :D to keep in the trend of "New iPad".

Actually the 1st/2nd revision of the Classic have, in their black versions, a slightly paler finish than the original one. I have a 2007 black classic, I can definitely see a difference with the current one in the Apple store - current one looks a bit more grey, mine is "blacker".

ThaDoggg
Apr 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
I have a 80GB classic and I switch it between cars depending which one I drive. I would be pissed if Apple gets rid of it as there's nothing else in the lineup that has such a big hard drive.

JBazz
Apr 23, 2012, 12:43 AM
I am considering a classic for my audio books. I would love to have all books available on one device. I think I have around 200 books? I keep several on my iPad, a few on my phone and iPods. But there really isn't anything I can find that comes close.

It takes so long to download a book. I am constantly removing and downloading books as my mood changes. The thought of syncing once and only having to worry about new purchases seems like heaven.

I came on tonight to see if any rumors of updating or dropping are out.

MacSignal
Apr 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
Much love for the Classic! But it could be so much better: 240 GB SSD, radio, lighter/thinner/stronger case, better battery life, larger retina-style display, audio improvements. I hope future versions of the Classic will have all of this.

ChrisTX
Apr 26, 2012, 07:47 AM
I have owned every iPad, almost every iPhone, several iPods(older classics, mini, and a few nanos), 2 MacBook Pros, Apple TV, etc... And outside of my iPhone, my 160GB iPod classic is the one piece of tech, and Apple device that is guaranteed to be with me at all times! It stores my entire music collection, and rides with me wherever I go. If I leave the house without it, you can guarantee I am turning around to go get it! My life revolves around music of various types, and it is imperative that the iPod classic is apart of my life. The first 20gb iPod I purchased many moons ago caused me to fall in love with Apple, and soon after purchase my first Mac. Great thread, so glad to share. :D

student_trap
Aug 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
So the time is quickly approaching when we will find out whether the classic is to go the way of the dodo, what are people's gut reactions for what may or may not be seen.

I'm thinking either

1 - Simply not mentioned but continues to be sold as is
2 - Not mentioned and not sold again
3 - Mentioned and not sold again
4 - Capacity bump

But what I'd really like would be a capacity bump and a white version (I can dream right?)

Let me know what you all think :)

person s
Aug 15, 2012, 07:32 PM
Some years ago I bought a 40gb white ipod - the last one with a black and white display - ona special run-out deal.
I've used it riding my bike ever since.
I recently got an iphone, so I've have decided to use that when riding because it means only one object in the pocket.
So now the ipod is going on a dock connected to the hi-fi, where I reckon it will last forever.
My daughter has a later black video ipod pre-classic with a dead hard disk.
I'm going to refurb that as a special project.
It's great that it's easy to open up, the parts are on ebay, and there are youtube clips to guide me too.

Dustman
Aug 15, 2012, 07:37 PM
it's getting axed.

iOzzie
Aug 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
it's getting axed.

Source?

Dustman
Aug 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
Source?

3 years without updates and Apple's increased use of flash memory. The timing seems right for a 128 GB touch to replace the classic. You'd have to be totally ignorant (not arrogant) to think they wouldn't be, we all know it's coming, hence the creation of this thread.

AppleDApp
Aug 15, 2012, 08:38 PM
This thread was great to reminisce. I found an iPod classic on kijiji for 30$ here's hoping the seller still has it available.

JMG
Aug 16, 2012, 03:43 AM
My Classis hasn't been updated in iTunes in years. It's really just For movies to keep in the wife's car to play through the monitor for my son. The computer unused to sync it to doesn't even exist anymore. The iPhone plays higher res movies so even then it's almost just around because it's there.

With google play I can have all 19,700 songs with me on the cloud for free, and not just purchased songs like on iCloud. I mean every song streaming to me whenever I want.

I think it's just time. The touch screen is much better than the click wheel, which I still contend wasn't the best way to browse music.

jcmc
Aug 16, 2012, 06:48 AM
I'll always have fond memories of the three Classics I have had, a 2003 15gb, a 2005 60gb and a 2006 80gb before I moved on to iPod Touch and then iPhone.

If I knew the Classic was going to be culled then I might be tempted to get one, but I wonder how many people out there are like me and hesitate because our music collections are too big to fit on a 160gb.

I think the core reason for having a Classic now is so that you can have your entire collection with you at all times. As soon as it becomes most of your collection rather than all, it loses its purpose somewhat I think.

greygray
Aug 16, 2012, 07:59 AM
Just bought one this year. I guess Apple will just axe it from the iPod family line, given its subservient role with the iPod touch taking over. It's truly a Classic.

CPD_1
Aug 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
I have three classics. Two are still in the box, and one is in my glovebox. When/if the one in the glovebox dies, the other two are there as backup. The two boxed ones were given to me by friends over the last couple of years. I'll be using them for as long as I can. The DAC in the traditional iPods seems to be a notch above what is in the iPhone, and until Apple has a 200GB iPhone I can't hold all of my music on it. iTunes Match is good, but sometimes redownloading the music isn't an option.

wrinkster22
Aug 16, 2012, 09:50 AM
Much love for the Classic! But it could be so much better: 240 GB SSD, radio, lighter/thinner/stronger case, better battery life, larger retina-style display, audio improvements. I hope future versions of the Classic will have all of this.

Allthough that would be amazing, I think that would be to expensive. A 240gb SSD is really expensive, however they could get one of the newer 220gb Toshiba platter drives. I agree though on the lighter/thinner/stronger case though. A better battery would be nice and a retina display + huge hard drive! amazing

jeffy.dee-lux
Aug 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
If they axe it, i'm going to buy a new Classic on the same day. If that happens, I kind of doubt prices will drop at all, because I think there will be many other people like me. The only reason I could see prices drop is if they replace it with a new model, and if that happens, I'll probably buy the new model anyways. I want a Classic, it's just tough to justify buying one at more or less the same price as 3 years ago.

knux11
Aug 16, 2012, 09:04 PM
yeah i just bought another one, sold mine awhile back so that I could just use my iphone, but it's much easier having all my music (and a bunch of tv shows and movies) in the car. like others said it stays there and only comes out to put new media on it.

although an SSD would prolly make it too expensive, that mechanical hdd is the only negative on it for me, since i use it solely in the car.

----------

i can't beleive some ppl have more than 160gb of music.

unless it's lossless.

ixodes
Aug 16, 2012, 09:12 PM

And that's it really, it's nice that it doesn't have apps, it's nice that nobody can interrupt my listening by phoning me, it's nice that I can change songs without looking at it.

You're absolutely right!

I have enjoyed iPods like this for years. In fact, just in case Apple were to "silently remove it" from lineup, I just bought a new one as a spare.

Not only do I enjoy the vast amount of music I can store on it, but I also like how handy it is to keep some of the files from my MBP on it for those times when I just want to grab the iPod and go.

Plus the Click Wheel is simply brilliant! One of Apple's true innovations.

undertheweather
Aug 17, 2012, 12:33 AM
I love my classic. I recently started to convert my songs into lossless so it's great to have the larger storage size.

My favorite part about it is by far the ability to change songs without looking at the screen. Having the physical buttons makes it so I can switch between songs without putting any thought into it. Perfect for when I'm driving and I don't want to take my eyes off the road.

I've had it since 2008 or 2009 I believe and haven't had any major issues. Within the last six months it has started to lag a little on occasion when navigating the menu but apart from that there is little else to be concerned about. I got a case for it immediately after I bought it and always use it in the case so that may have provided a little bit of protection but I've dropped it and such and it keeps on going.

I'll be very disappointed if it ends up crashing and I can't get another classic to replace it. I don't need all of the extra gaming features of the touch since I can use my phone or iPad, I just need a simple to use music player.

Tander
Aug 17, 2012, 02:58 AM
I have the iPod 160GB classic, black.

Love the little guy and don't see my self ever selling it. :D

Don't use it much these days, but like all of my Apple products, there are here to stay, lol.

thebigmarvinski
Aug 20, 2012, 09:00 AM
I would bite my arm off for a revamped classic. I just want an MP3 player with good storage capacity and none of the thrills.

320GB, 500GB in size preferably

I drive a lot.

aliensporebomb
Aug 20, 2012, 11:15 AM
I was digging in my dresser drawer where I keep my spare eyeglasses, discs for products I own and some other stuff and encountered my 20 gig 4th generation ipod.

It works fine except the battery doesn't charge anymore.

I've considered hooking it up as a 20 gig drive of sorts since it just sits there doing nothing otherwise and it's in good shape in terms of its condition.

pablofg94
Aug 20, 2012, 10:31 PM
Since the iPod Touch isn't really centered around high capacity, I don't think the classic will get axed. It'd be great if they made a slimmer, flash-based iPod with around the same capacity.

jcchristopher
Aug 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
Even encoding my library to 192bit rate, I can't get my whole library on my 160GB Classic--which stays in my car. So the more storage the better!

minisuds7
Aug 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
I love my iPad. I love iMacs, MacBooks, and iPhones. But my favorite device I own is my Classic 160gb. The few times I forget to take it with me, I just feel lost without it because music is my life! Hence, I feel that I carry my zest for life in my pocket... Truly simple and brilliant, a click wheel iPod will be with me for as long I can. Long live the Classic :apple:

demi82
Aug 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
I got a classic too and I'm loving it as well! It looks great and has a wonderfull sound and my whole i-tunes library fits in there. Perfect! =)

Fralle
Aug 21, 2012, 05:04 PM
I hope they don't axe it :( Its classic!!

AppleDApp
Aug 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
How do you like searching for 100 gb + of music with the scroll wheel?

JMG
Aug 21, 2012, 11:55 PM
How do you like searching for 100 gb + of music with the scroll wheel?

It's horrible really. This has been my complaint since the 5G. It was a cool novelty for awhile, something apple could count on as a unique selling point, but after using a touch screen or even other mp3 players like the failed Zune and its toshiba predecessor, I was convinced. I know the fanboys will pick up their pitchforks over this, but I'm coming at this as an apple fan and stock holder.

The one thing I will credit the scroll wheel with is that it basically revolutionized how we interface with our gadgets. It was unique enough to get people's interest. It's iconic for sure, but in most cases time makes old things obsolete.

iamsophie
Aug 22, 2012, 12:11 AM
Congratulations on your buy!
I'd love to get a classic but I just got an iPhone and I can't afford a classic at the moment.

AppleDApp
Aug 22, 2012, 07:17 AM
It's horrible really. This has been my complaint since the 5G. It was a cool novelty for awhile, something apple could count on as a unique selling point, but after using a touch screen or even other mp3 players like the failed Zune and its toshiba predecessor, I was convinced. I know the fanboys will pick up their pitchforks over this, but I'm coming at this as an apple fan and stock holder.

The one thing I will credit the scroll wheel with is that it basically revolutionized how we interface with our gadgets. It was unique enough to get people's interest. It's iconic for sure, but in most cases time makes old things obsolete.

Creative had a nice way of doing it with the zen vision mp3 players. Then again they did not sell in very high storage capacity.

JMG
Aug 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
Creative had a nice way of doing it with the zen vision mp3 players. Then again they did not sell in very high storage capacity.

Yes, Apple had a solid experience all around with their hardware and software integration. Brilliant marketing and brand cache, which is why it's considered the "best" and why others have been forced to the sidelines. Along with that reputation came the assumption that the scroll wheel aka click wheel was the best method of interface, but it's not necessarily true in all cases.

sharpycl
Sep 1, 2012, 01:06 PM
I've had a 80 gig classic since 2008 (I think, WHenever they were first release) and it's been with me ever since. It's my way of disconnecting from the world when I am at home. It has my entire library on it. Lots of fond memories with that ipod and I hope for many more to come.

Same case since the first day I bought the ipod too ;)

kaielement
Sep 1, 2012, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone,

Yes The big plus for me is having all my music in one place. I usually have my iPod in my speaker dock or on the go and it's great. Not all my music is on my computer and is stored on an external drive. I love knowing that I can be thinking about a song and being able to just listen to it and not say oh no it's not on my iPod it's on my computer. Also love it when I am hanging out with friends or driving around and being able to listen to all my tunes. I love being able to be driving with friends and pulling up the most random pop song and laughing with my buddies lol.

Davy.Shalom
Sep 1, 2012, 02:25 PM
I really wish Apple had transitioned to using glass trackpad/clickwheels when the aluminum classic came out. My old classic (recently sold) was practically unusable because of how worn out the clickwheel was.

Scepticalscribe
Sep 1, 2012, 03:26 PM
I've had a 80 gig classic since 2008 (I think, WHenever they were first release) and it's been with me ever since. It's my way of disconnecting from the world when I am at home. It has my entire library on it. Lots of fond memories with that ipod and I hope for many more to come.

Same case since the first day I bought the ipod too ;)

I'm in the exact same position, and that 80GB classic travels with me everywhere I go.....which includes some very strange places. A great little iPod, nice and solid and capacious. As it happens, I've had mine since 2008, too.

I also have an iTouch, but that is too attractive to felonious nimble fingers, so it rarely travels with me.

GR33NIE
Sep 4, 2012, 05:46 AM
Still love my 80GB classic think I would be lost without it, still gets regular use although mainly at home these days

I just update the odd bit of music on my iPhone for on the go or @ work :)

jrcsh6
Sep 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
i use my 160 daily. I really wanna do the hd upgrade because I'm well out of space but keep praying Apple just keeps it around to be nostalgic and up's the hard drive.... however if they do a big touch someday I'll switch. Capacity is king for my application of an ipod these days.

Why can't they do an ipod touch with an old spinning hd or a ssd to run the os and have a dedicated spinning drive for storage. The people buying classics or this thing I dream of are NOT worried about the thickness that makes it like a deck of cards as opposed to the single digit mm thickness'!

jeffgtr
Sep 11, 2012, 07:30 PM
My Ipod Classic 80gb died a couple weeks ago. I've been using my iphone for music waiting to see what Apple does tomorrow. I'm hoping they keep the classic, maybe bump the capacity. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see them going with a high capacity ssd as it would be to expensive. At any rate, if they release a high capacity Ipod classic I'm buying, if they do nothing and keep it the same I'm still buying, if they discontinue I'm gonna be sad.

All I want is something that plays music, I have my iphone for apps, photos and videos.

malnar
Sep 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
Eh, well, I think you're wrong. I actually went back to my Classic today when my 3.5mm input died and, because I'm using the Amazon Cloud Player app on my iPhone and the stupid Honda iPod integration won't see anything but the Music app. Anyway, I haven't used the click-wheel in ages and found it to be refreshing fast and easy to find exactly what I wanted - it didn't scroll past everything like the iOS interface does if you scroll fast. You stop scrolling and it stops scrolling. It's an incredibly simple interface to use.

But Apple's going to get rid of it sooner or later because it's ALL mechanical, and they want to get rid of everything mechanical. Watch and see, they will eventually do away with pretty much every physical button on these new iOS devices in favor of touch controls. The click-wheel is just going to be the first to disappear. I'm going to miss it - this has been a very handy, dependable player, that's for sure. No compatibility issues, etc. "It just works."

JMG
Sep 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
Eh, well, I think you're wrong. I actually went back to my Classic today when my 3.5mm input died and, because I'm using the Amazon Cloud Player app on my iPhone and the stupid Honda iPod integration won't see anything but the Music app. Anyway, I haven't used the click-wheel in ages and found it to be refreshing fast and easy to find exactly what I wanted - it didn't scroll past everything like the iOS interface does if you scroll fast. You stop scrolling and it stops scrolling. It's an incredibly simple interface to use.

I use my iphone in my car and the classic in my wife's and honestly it's a chore to use the classic compared. First of all, as the driver, I don't usually want to scroll to find a song, I usually just hit playlists and then the playlist. Or I use the search function with the keyboard, which is about 1,000,000 times easier to use than the clickwheel to input characters. Not to mention the ease of making a playlist in ios vs the ipod interface.

Now, with the ipod integration kits, I don't have to mess with volume anymore in either cars, because it all straight through the stereo, but even something as simple as changing the volume is much better on the iphone. Not only a physical button, but a slider that is almost always available by hitting the now playing button. With the ipod you have to wait for the screen to go back to the now playing screen or navigate to the main menu and scroll all the way down if you want to change the volume if you have started to browse for other songs. I know, this is a software issue, but it really is connected to the clickwheel hardware because of the limited versatility in it's interface by nature. It's just a big wheel with 5 buttons.

Your other argument that it's easier to not scroll past a song is somewhat valid, but I argue that I have scrolled passed many a song on the clickwheel simply because I have 19,000 tracks. That is A LOT of albums, songs, artists etc to scroll through and it's a real chore to get to the bottom. Imagine twirling your thumbs for what seems like a long time until the browsing by alphabet mode kicks in, then you miss your letter because you were spinning so fast, so you scroll back, then you let go, then you scroll for specific track on that letter.... painful. ALSO, consider this argument on physical buttons vs touch screens:

The directional pad on the zune and it's predecessors weren't revolutionary, and maybe that's partially why it wasn't as successful, but one thing they got right was the physical interface. It was easier to scroll for songs because all you had to do was hold down the "down" button then stop. You could tap the "down" button as many times as the song that you wanted was down the list and that's it. The clickwheel required much more fine motor control to exactly go down just a few selections. It's simple biomechanics... either press a button, or rotate your thumb a certain speed. One of those is much more simple to accomplish especially if you are driving, running etc.

Summary: you can do more with a touch screen, and even if you prefer a physical interface, the directional pad was more efficient, but less flashy, than a clickwheel.

jeffgtr
Sep 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
Just ordered a new Classic today to replace my 80gb Classic that died. The touch simply does not have enough room. Besides my normal Itunes library I do a lot of recording in Logic, I like to mix down to higher bitrate, it takes up a lot of room. The Classic is perfect, I have my iphone for other stuff. I just need the ipod for music.

Yr Blues
Sep 12, 2012, 09:40 PM
they should do away with the classic and make a hard-disk version of the touch

Macinfriend
Sep 13, 2012, 01:39 AM
Well it looks like after today i would be targeting another Black Classic Ipod for $249 or cheaper. I was really hoping for an HD upgrade in the touch to at least 160 or past that. I really want to own a touch someday but 64 gig just wont cut it. I have the 80gig 5.5 version of the ipod with that nice ipod black smooth sheen over it, and it works great. BUT ive near filled it to 80 gig, so i need something bigger. Why are they not increasing the size of the touchs' highest capacity?? If they just would have announced that the new ipod touch at $399 was 160 gig capacity i would have been all over that at started to save my $$ for it. At least i can buy a new pair of earpods at a reasonable price $30.

JMG
Sep 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Well it looks like after today i would be targeting another Black Classic Ipod for $249 or cheaper. I was really hoping for an HD upgrade in the touch to at least 160 or past that. I really want to own a touch someday but 64 gig just wont cut it. I have the 80gig 5.5 version of the ipod with that nice ipod black smooth sheen over it, and it works great. BUT ive near filled it to 80 gig, so i need something bigger. Why are they not increasing the size of the touchs' highest capacity?? If they just would have announced that the new ipod touch at $399 was 160 gig capacity i would have been all over that at started to save my $$ for it. At least i can buy a new pair of earpods at a reasonable price $30.

One big reason they are not pushing for a super high capacity iTouch is because most people are predicting that many things will be cloud based and streaming. iCloud isn't truly streaming right now, but Google Music is and I have uploaded all 19,000 of my songs to be able to play from my iPhone on the go (as long as I have signal! :D)

mpugh66
Sep 29, 2012, 01:03 AM
Have the 6 (I think) and just recently it took up residence in my truck (I use it with Ford Sync). I used the iPod touch 4 for awhile instead but the classic is better hands free. My son started college this year and am going to get him a 160gb classic for Christmas

iEvolution
Sep 29, 2012, 05:46 PM
One big reason they are not pushing for a super high capacity iTouch is because most people are predicting that many things will be cloud based and streaming. iCloud isn't truly streaming right now, but Google Music is and I have uploaded all 19,000 of my songs to be able to play from my iPhone on the go (as long as I have signal! :D)

Which is backwards.
With cloud you have to have:
- a reliable connection
- deal with monthly overages
- deal with server down time
- deal with security issues, such as hackers deleting all your data
- must be in a area where you can get good reception (which isn't poSsible half the time)
- deal with overloaded servers slowing you down
- rent space yearly or monthly instead of outright owning it

There is zero benefit to cloud for users and I hope people aren't stupid enough to fall for it.

The only benefit for cloud is:
- back ups
- cross platform

Apple seems to think their lack of capacity updates will push me to cloud when in fact I'll just find another company even though there isn't anything that compares to the classic.

JMG
Oct 3, 2012, 05:17 PM
Which is backwards.
- a reliable connection
- must be in a area where you can get good reception (which isn't poSsible half the time)

There is zero benefit to cloud for users and I hope people aren't stupid enough to fall for it.

- back ups
- cross platform

Apple seems to think their lack of capacity updates will push me to cloud when in fact I'll just find another company even though there isn't anything that compares to the classic.

Thats the old way of thinking. Much like how more and more people are renting movies to stream online rather than physical disks, or watching TV shows online, the idea that you need to physically hold something in your hand to "own" it will disappear in time. Think of how much actual cash goes in your hand when you get a paycheck. A VERY small percentage. I usually only carry a few hundred dollars. Most bills are paid electronically. I don't physically touch about 99% of the income I make. All of my monetary lively hood and hard work is a bunch of 1s and 0s on some servers out there that belong to the banks. What if THAT system went down or the ATMs stopped working for some reason? If I can trust the system with my money, one would assume that I would trust them with my music. That is not to say that I will delete my music from my local hard drive. It's still all there, but it just doesn't need to be physically on my phone.

One day, you will have a signal everywhere you go to a reasonably reliable degree. Maybe thats not today, but what apple usually does is try to jump the gun to push their standing on the edge of technology. Remember how people used to complain about the lack of a physical keyboard? Not so much complaining now as the tvirtual board is more and more accepted.

kaydot
Oct 5, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thats the old way of thinking. Much like how more and more people are renting movies to stream online rather than physical disks, or watching TV shows online, the idea that you need to physically hold something in your hand to "own" it will disappear in time. Think of how much actual cash goes in your hand when you get a paycheck. A VERY small percentage. I usually only carry a few hundred dollars. Most bills are paid electronically. I don't physically touch about 99% of the income I make. All of my monetary lively hood and hard work is a bunch of 1s and 0s on some servers out there that belong to the banks. What if THAT system went down or the ATMs stopped working for some reason? If I can trust the system with my money, one would assume that I would trust them with my music. That is not to say that I will delete my music from my local hard drive. It's still all there, but it just doesn't need to be physically on my phone.

One day, you will have a signal everywhere you go to a reasonably reliable degree. Maybe thats not today, but what apple usually does is try to jump the gun to push their standing on the edge of technology. Remember how people used to complain about the lack of a physical keyboard? Not so much complaining now as the tvirtual board is more and more accepted.

Although accepted, it doesn't change the fact that typing on a virtual keyboard is still kind of terrible. It is rare to find a user who thinks that virtual keyboards are better for lengthy emails than a blackberry. On the other hand, the versatility of a 4 inch touch screen and thin device more than make up for that. But the typing still sucks.

The day when I have signal in the Subway, don't have to pay for signal on an airplane, or have 100% reliable signal on interstates are far into the future. These are very common use cases for my iPod use.

combatcolin
Oct 6, 2012, 07:02 AM
Which is backwards.
- a reliable connection

- back ups
- cross platform

Well argued case against the cloud.

Just because something is new and shiny doesn't mean its always the way forward.

allan
Oct 11, 2012, 07:25 AM
Don’t Call My iPod Classic “Classic” (http://www.mtvhive.com/2012/05/01/dont-call-my-ipod-classic-classic/) :)

I might be getting a Classic soon, so that I can have my entire music collection with me. My 64GB iPhone 4S can hold all my music, but only if I compress all my Apple Lossless CD rips. I'm glad Apple hasn't discontinued it yet. I love the click wheel interface on my 5th gen iPod nano.

GR33NIE
Oct 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
Still love mine and can't really afford a 64Gb iPhone so I can carry everything around, even that wouldn't be enough with Apps though

Ours spends most of it's time docked @ home :D

----------

Don’t Call My iPod Classic “Classic” (http://www.mtvhive.com/2012/05/01/dont-call-my-ipod-classic-classic/) :)

Ha! Very good read that one :)

JMG
Oct 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Although accepted, it doesn't change the fact that typing on a virtual keyboard is still kind of terrible. It is rare to find a user who thinks that virtual keyboards are better for lengthy emails than a blackberry. On the other hand, the versatility of a 4 inch touch screen and thin device more than make up for that. But the typing still sucks.

The day when I have signal in the Subway, don't have to pay for signal on an airplane, or have 100% reliable signal on interstates are far into the future. These are very common use cases for my iPod use.

Apple tends to adopt early to help whatever they are adopting come to fruition earlier. Ie get the public used to something and they will... Get used to it. For example, the minimalist interface. Before the iPhone or even the classic more buttons was considered "better". Apple has long adopted that the less buttons the better. Even the click wheel itself is the predecessor to the tough screen. Think about the MacBook air and it's lack of optical drive. It's merely a step towards disk less software ie apps you download... Much like mp3s have done away with the CD.

Now think about Siri and the dictate to text. It's not quite there yet but they are trying to get us away from being bound by a keyboard. You just talk to it and it happens.

There was an old ad that apple did where the computer wasn't a physical thing you had to sit at anymore. It was a personal assistant you talked to like a human personal assistant and it featured things that look like concepts that are VERY similar to Siri the touch screen and FaceTime. Let me find it.

Here it is. It was made in 1987.
http://youtu.be/hb4AzF6wEoc

This is the goal. In many ways we have surpassed it. In other ways we haven't... Yet.

Adam-
Oct 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
I've just got a black iPod video of eBay, and i've remembered how awesome they are, I got it for the car but they are such a great bit of kit, decided not to go for a classic cause i liked the super easy to scratch videos. If Apple stop making iPods like this it will be such a sad day!

CybertronExpo
Dec 15, 2012, 06:34 PM
I hope Apple released a 320 GB 8 G Classic. I got so much music my 160 GB is almost full.

peapody
Dec 24, 2012, 07:43 AM
I hope Apple released a 320 GB 8 G Classic. I got so much music my 160 GB is almost full.

Yeah I am almost there too.

Found this picture in my photobucket. Love it

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e161/tuesdayrock/DSC_0091.jpg

JJorTech
Dec 25, 2012, 05:30 AM
The name says it all. It's a classic. Not a useless post at all. Reminds me of the whole point of apple since the begging. Forget the apps, the phone, the games. It was music

torana355
Dec 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
I have a hardly used 5th gen 30GB iPod Video (the ones where Apple still used great DACS) I still use it when i want good quality sound.

yly3
Dec 26, 2012, 06:41 AM
I have a hardly used 5th gen 30GB iPod Video (the ones where Apple still used great DACS) I still use it when i want good quality sound.

I agree. I also had a 160gb Classic but right before it I had a 30 Video and I instantly felt the decrease in audio quality.
I still find the Wolfson chip in the Video much much better, it's airy and warm sounds like a live show.
Besides, is it just me or the click wheel on the Video is also better ? It's somehow bigger or more responsive, because I can keep my finger much closer to the OK button thus the wheel I spin is smaller thus more comfortable. It's plastic, but a more "slippery" feel, I don't know it's just faster and more precise.

Imo the video was the best iPod (classic) ever made.

Smellmett
Dec 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
Well argued case against the cloud.

Just because something is new and shiny doesn't mean its always the way forward.

Totally agree, I refuse to pay Apple more money for the privilege of storing and playing MY music, even here in Yorkshire you're far from guaranteed a reception - I've lost count of the times I've been at someone's house with my laptop and been unable to connect to their broadband, even with the password!

I'll be gutted when they drop the Classic, and will buy one the day it happens. I've got a 13000+ Itunes library organised to within an inch of sanity, and use 60+ playlists in my car, so the click wheel doesn't get used that much.

I'm getting sick of Apple trying to tell me what to do!

----------

Apple tends to adopt early to help whatever they are adopting come to fruition earlier. Ie get the public used to something and they will... Get used to it. For example, the minimalist interface. Before the iPhone or even the classic more buttons was considered "better". Apple has long adopted that the less buttons the better. Even the click wheel itself is the predecessor to the tough screen. Think about the MacBook air and it's lack of optical drive. It's merely a step towards disk less software ie apps you download... Much like mp3s have done away with the CD.

Now think about Siri and the dictate to text. It's not quite there yet but they are trying to get us away from being bound by a keyboard. You just talk to it and it happens.

There was an old ad that apple did where the computer wasn't a physical thing you had to sit at anymore. It was a personal assistant you talked to like a human personal assistant and it featured things that look like concepts that are VERY similar to Siri the touch screen and FaceTime. Let me find it.

Here it is. It was made in 1987.
http://youtu.be/hb4AzF6wEoc

This is the goal. In many ways we have surpassed it. In other ways we haven't... Yet.

Some good points, but until I'm guaranteed a fast secure signal everywhere, and I mean everywhere I go, I'm simply not interested in the cloud