Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applebj8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Hello,
I've recently purchased a used MacBook w/ OS X 10.7.2, and this is my first experience with something other than a Windows machine. I have a situation where I cannot move files/folders on the desktop.
When I pull up the Activity Monitor it lists the user as the person who previously owned this laptop. That person's name also comes up when I do a "Get Info" for the desktop items.
Folders are accessible when I want to attach a photo to an e-mail, but I can't figure out how to change the user to me.
Thanks in advance for any help...
Jon

Well now, I just did a Restart and all is well in terms of being able to move them around! Huh! What caused the temporary situation I wonder? What did I do to cause this?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Hello,
I've recently purchased a used MacBook w/ OS X 10.7.2, and this is my first experience with something other than a Windows machine. I have a situation where I cannot move files/folders on the desktop.
When I pull up the Activity Monitor it lists the user as the person who previously owned this laptop. That person's name also comes up when I do a "Get Info" for the desktop items.
Folders are accessible when I want to attach a photo to an e-mail, but I can't figure out how to change the user to me.
Thanks in advance for any help...
Jon

Well now, I just did a Restart and all is well in terms of being able to move them around! Huh! What caused the temporary situation I wonder? What did I do to cause this?

Your going to need to reinstall the OS to change yourself to the owner. If you just want to change the name on the menu bar go to applications>system preference>accounts then change the user name..

What I would do assuming you have install disc's is boot from the install media (option while booting pick the install media) go to disc utilities when you got the actual installer go to your drive got to erase, then click security options and zero out all data, go to bed. In the morning start the install process then go to work/school. when you come home it'll be like new again. then you can install programs to your hearts content authorize it with your iTunes account etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.