Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
What would be the closest equivalent in Lion as winrar or 7zip are in windows? I really like the right click shell commands they offer for pack and unpack.

I don't mind paid if they are really worth it, like winrar is.

Currently using unarchiver and 7zx but it just isn't the same at all.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have you tried the built in ZIP compression utility? It offers contextual menu compression.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Why not? Winrar and 7zip are separate utilities.

That each and in themselves are a complete solution. You don't need both on one machine ever, they each handle everything I have ever needed.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
I have no idea what you're saying.

How would I create a new archive using "StuffIt Expander or UnRarX or The Unarchiver"?

I'm reading about iZip now, sounds ok but I don't know about the UI screenshots.

----------

I guess I should say the only thing I don't like about the built in zip is the inability to create segmented zip files. I don't typically create par etc. I do have to split things for different media all the time though.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
I have been playing around with the stuffit trial and I don't see how to create segmented zip files. Can stuffit do that? Has pretty much everything else I am looking for though.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Stuffit Destinations definitely can

Obviously I am blind then, I have the trial and I can't find it. Can you tell me where to find it in Stuffit Destinations?

Edit: I answered my own question:
A quick note for Segmenting files in StuffIt Deluxe 2011

Segmenting is not available in Destinations as a preference. Segmenting is available under the Magic Menu. Magic Menu is part of the advanced features in StuffIt Deluxe. If you do not have StuffIt Deluxe 2011 you can upgrade for a discount https://support.smithmicro.com/app/...sion/L3RpbWUvMTMyODU4MDYxOS9zaWQvanJTMzkzUWs=

The trial is not the deluxe one.

Last edited:

starter15

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
is there any program out there that will extract multiple multi-rar files? for example, if i want to extract Movie A (which is split into multi rars) as well as movie B, which is in the same type of format as A, automatically, one after another?

this has been something ive been trying to find for quite some time. any help would be great. thanks.

reedog117

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
iPackr?

is there any program out there that will extract multiple multi-rar files? for example, if i want to extract Movie A (which is split into multi rars) as well as movie B, which is in the same type of format as A, automatically, one after another?

this has been something ive been trying to find for quite some time. any help would be great. thanks.

Tried iPackr? It works well and is free unless you have to deal with password-protected files, in which case there's a paid version for that.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011

The Unarchiver does that and it's free. I use it every day, never had a problem with it.

Btw. How much CPU usage do you guys get with the software? It seems like none of the above mentioned programs utilize the CPU to it's full potential.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010

You can do two at the same time which leads to disk thrashing and defragmentation but if you are SSD it isn't an issue. But no, I haven't seen one that will que up the second job and execute it consecutively.

Btw. How much CPU usage do you guys get with the software? It seems like none of the above mentioned programs utilize the CPU to it's full potential.

Mostly archiving is bound by disk IO, seek and thru put, the CPU way out paces what the disk can do these days.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007

I use UnRarX for this (multi cars, par2, password support, etc).

I personally use the inbuilt zipper and UnRarX.

starter15

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
I use UnRarX for this (multi cars, par2, password support, etc).

I personally use the inbuilt zipper and UnRarX.

i think i will have to resort to using this setup as well. only thing i dont like about unrarx is that there is no progress bar. oh well...

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Yeah that won't work for me, I need to be able to create segmented zips.

maigado

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
There are things about Windows that are better than on Macs. The OP's question gets at one of them. It took me a long time to get used to the fact that support for file compression archiving just isn't as good on the Mac. I think I've tried 'em all at one point or another. Most of the clients are so limited in their functionality that they're not worth thinking about for the OP's needs.

I mostly use BetterZip. It's pretty good, but it's not WinRar or 7zip. And even if it were, the ability to integrate into the Finder and OS in general like many of the Windows clients do just doesn't seem to be there.

But if I'm wrong, I'd love to find out how to equal those Windows approaches, too.

One useful tip — try BetterZip's QuickLook Generator extension so that you can use QuickLook (a Mac feature not equivalently available on Windows that I wouldn't want to be without) to see what's in a given zip or other supported archive.

http://macitbetter.com/BetterZip-Quick-Look-Generator

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA

MacPar will allow you to extract two RAR archives at once. But be warned it uses the CPU to unRAR files. Don't let it fool you in thinking it just creates PAR files, I use it to check RAR files and extract them. And it's fast.

Hugh

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Crap, bought stuffit because they said it could create segmented files but it only does that in stix files, not zip or rar. I feel gipped. I'm not going to make people on the other end get some proprietary unpacker, the world has no need for proprietary archive formats.

Last edited:

mschipperheyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2006
Midnight Commander

You can edit zip files using midnight command (mc) in the terminal. However, it's slow with this and for most people to "dos-like"

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Reviving old threads to continue the discussion is fine.

Problem is I'm totally not interested in command line. Still haven't found anything on Mac that matches 7Zip.

I have actually come around to the opinion that the reduced usefulness of Mac finder and basic file zip tools not being present is one of the reasons Mac people want to get rid of direct user interaction with files. Its nowhere near as pleasant experience as on windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.