Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
I havent been keeping up with discussions so can you guys tell me, how hard is it to: erase the boot drive on my dual 867 and repartition say for 3 parts, X.2-9.2 and one for storage?
I have heard it was better to have OS x on its own partition and I'd like to have the storage part separate, just easier to optimize this way? ANYWAY can't I Just erase the boot drive reinstall jaguar and at the same time repartition and then install 9.2.2?
Isn't that on the Mac disks for the new Machines? I'm asking even though I have a new Machine, I haven't tried any of this yet, thought I would seeek some wisdom on here before I did a thing!
a very greatful Thanks
daniel:D
Ps do you still have to register a machine even if you bought it from apple?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: dual 867,I'd like to haveX.2 and9.2boot drive

Originally posted by fourthtunz
I havent been keeping up with discussions so can you guys tell me, how hard is it to: erase the boot drive on my dual 867 and repartition say for 3 parts, X.2-9.2 and one for storage?
I have heard it was better to have OS x on its own partition and I'd like to have the storage part separate, just easier to optimize this way? ANYWAY can't I Just erase the boot drive reinstall jaguar and at the same time repartition and then install 9.2.2?
Isn't that on the Mac disks for the new Machines? I'm asking even though I have a new Machine, I haven't tried any of this yet, thought I would seeek some wisdom on here before I did a thing!
a very greatful Thanks
daniel:D
Ps do you still have to register a machine even if you bought it from apple?

Sounds to me like you have it right. It shouldn't be a problem just do it like you explained. :)

Also make sure to give each system extra room over there base requirement this allows for preference files and future updates.

You don't have to register ever but if you do want to, yes you still have to even if you bought it from Apple.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Yeah,

Keeps things much happier. I run a 60GB OSX partition, and a 10GB OS9 partition. I will be reassigning the OS9 partition to SWAP use soon, as I haven't used OS9 in months, and this machine has never booted it...

I keep my Apps, System, and Homes on the 60GB partition, my OS9 System and Apps on the OS9 Partition, and my mp3s, downloads and backups on a monster 480GB RAID.

Although I would prefer to separate the OSX system from the Apps and Homes, it seems to cause too many problems with software updates, and creates more maintainence than the safety it offers.

Anyway, you are much safer if you separate X & 9.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Usually people with more than one partition end up having the most problems.

Also, if you boot your new DDR PowerMac into OS 9 and use it, that fan is gonna keep spinning and spinning. I don't remember the exact words, but Apple is slowly beginning to drop hardware support for OS 9. I mean, you can probably use Classic to run your apps and things, but booting into OS 9 may be a problem.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
Originally posted by King Cobra
Usually people with more than one partition end up having the most problems.

Also, if you boot your new DDR PowerMac into OS 9 and use it, that fan is gonna keep spinning and spinning. I don't remember the exact words, but Apple is slowly beginning to drop hardware support for OS 9. I mean, you can probably use Classic to run your apps and things, but booting into OS 9 may be a problem.

I have had good luck in the past with separate partitions but I have learned to take nothing for granted:(
I'm running Protools and it won't be ready for X until next year(at least thats what I think)and I won't be ready to pay for new plugins til then either so its 9.2 for audio and X for video!
I think Premiere is quicker on 9.2.1 on My mac 733 than it is on my dual 867 on 9.2.2! I like 9.2.1 for audio and I wish they would let you install in on the new Macs, it iwll boot but you can't install it :confused:
Final cut rocks on Jagwire though.
I would love to hear more from anyone who has one of the new duals, what did you do? Thanks for all the info guys!
Daniel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.