Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Okay so I recently built a new gaming PC and I don't really like the case. Its quite nice it just doesn't really match the overall feel of everything else in my room.

So I found so Mac Pro cases on ebay for price I would be willing to pay.

My question is, would the parts from my PC fit easily inside the Mac Pro?

My MOBO is http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...-sata-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx and my PSU is a standard size and I have a 6970 GPU.

I know the disk drives (HDD etc) would fit inside with ease but what about the motherboard, PSU and GPU? Would they line up nicely with the back of the case or would it not really work? Also would the holes on the motherboard line up with those inside the pro case, and would the connections such as Power/USBs work with the mobo?

Im sorry if this has already been asked somewhere but advanced search didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just read somewhere that this does require a bit of work, if anyone disagrees please say but I think ill just get a look a like for ease. I found one here for anyone looking in the future. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silv...tower-case-with-window-atx-e-atx-ssi-(w-o-psu)

Last edited:

webcity

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
United Kingdom
I have seen people do this with PowerMac G5 cases and they can look great when they're finished, however, it's not as simple as just building your PC in a case.

You need to cut a hole in the back of the Mac Pro case to fit a Lian Li (or similar) Mobo tray, then you have to fiddle with the front panel to get that working, then the PSU's Power Cable connector isn't in a standard position on the Mac Pro case (it's centered I believe) so you'd also have to find some way around that.

Hope this helps

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
basically no. the mac pro motherboard is a custom motherboard, and the mac pro case is built just for it. you will experience that there is nowhere to attach your board, I/O wont align, start button and fans have custom connector, etc etc.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
Yes, it involves some modding, but it's not too hard to do.
I did that mod (G5) myself – same username in the aforementioned forums. There are some people who put even more effort into it, with sleeker results.

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
This has been done by modders before, check out Here and Here.

You WILL need to cut the back of the case, but if you are intelligent with metal crafting then you can do a great job on it. Check out both of those links for ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The newer and newer cases generally get worse and worse for putting PC components into.

A G5 case would probably work. But the Mac Pro cases aren't as simple. They have a lot more internal working as where the G5 cases were nice and open for airflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.