Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tenshu2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2002
Hey.. I'm going to be putting in my order for a dual1ghz+studio display soon.. finally making the switch. I was wondering if there is any use for OS 9 and if i can just keep OS X.2 as my only OS. Some apps i want to run are Office, Photoshop 7, Studio/Dreamweaver MX, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, and maybe some other popular video/graphics/web stuff. Would everything work fine in X? Also is there a version of Quickbooks available for X yet? Thanks.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: OS 9? Any use for it?

OS9 and 10.2 will both come preinstalled on your new computer. They did on my Dual/Ghz/DDR. For the amount of hard drive space OS9 takes up I would leave it in the off chance you ever need it. There is no speed or stability advantage to removing it.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Yep, as the others have said, both OS 9 and X will come pre-installed, so no use uninstalling it as it doesn't take up much space, and you just *might* end up having to use it... for what I dunno, but...

And all those apps have OS X native versions, and run perfectly. About Quickbooks.. I did a quick Google search and found this. Looks like they're coming out with the Mac versions early next year.

Hope that helps.

irmongoose

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: OS 9? Any use for it?

Originally posted by tenshu2k
I was wondering if there is any use for OS 9 and if i can just keep OS X.2 as my only OS.
It's good for no-permissions hacking of OS X, and old games/programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.