PDA

View Full Version : How do you have your tea?

Andeavor
Feb 7, 2012, 09:53 AM
I just made a cup of tea but since I was out of teabags I made it with some fresh loose one I got as a gift quite recently (including some proper tea mugs). Luckily, I had a tea strainer lying around but it feels like it came out too thin. In fact, I felt like I didn't quite do it right.

I'm used to teabags and then always add some sugar and milk. Usually, I have my tea late at night as some sort of a non-alcoholic nightcap but it's been so cold and freezing in Western Europe lately, I've been having tea any time of day.

For those tea drinkers among us, how do you prefer making/preparing your tea?

AQUADock
Feb 7, 2012, 09:56 AM
Same as you, milk and sugar.

Tomorrow
Feb 7, 2012, 09:58 AM
Iced. Sweet n Low plus lemon. Milk is for cereal. :cool:

calderone
Feb 7, 2012, 10:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Plain.

wpotere
Feb 7, 2012, 10:01 AM
Loose leaf only and lightly sweetened (depending on the tea) with stevia extract.

Mr. McMac
Feb 7, 2012, 10:01 AM
with a little honey and lemon

Happybunny
Feb 7, 2012, 10:08 AM
Mostly 'Earl Grey' or 'Gold blend' from Liptons. Sugar two tea spoons.(no milk never milk)I some times put lemon juice in, for the summer evenings.
Iced tea for really hot summer days.

Shrink
Feb 7, 2012, 10:11 AM
OK, I'll do it and take the heat...

In a cup.:p

wpotere
Feb 7, 2012, 10:13 AM
This company has great tea... I used to shop there when I lived in Germany and you can order on-line.

http://shop.tgtea.com/store/

iStudentUK
Feb 7, 2012, 10:53 AM
When it comes to tea I turn into a stereotypical English posh person. I've got 5 types of loose leaf tea at home! :eek:

Milk is acceptable for some types, most types just black, occassionally lemon. I do keep sugar in supply in case the lower classes stop by... :eek::D:p

wpotere
Feb 7, 2012, 10:55 AM
When it comes to tea I turn into a stereotypical English posh person. I've got 5 types of loose leaf tea at home! :eek:

Milk is acceptable for some types, most types just black, occassionally lemon. I do keep sugar in supply in case the lower classes stop by... :eek::D:p

Just 5? :p We must have 10 or so ranging from English breakfast to imperial green. :)

TexasChemE
Feb 7, 2012, 11:04 AM
Iced with sugar, or hot with honey.

iStudentUK
Feb 7, 2012, 11:06 AM
Just 5? :p We must have 10 or so ranging from English breakfast to imperial green. :)

If they are loose leaf then you sir are a true gentleman! :D

wpotere
Feb 7, 2012, 11:16 AM
If they are loose leaf then you sir are a true gentleman! :D

Yep, no bagged tea in there. The Mrs. and I are huge tea fans and I stopped drinking coffee (regularly) a few years back. The wife is a bigger tea snob than I am though... :p

firestarter
Feb 7, 2012, 11:20 AM
Twinings English Breakfast tea for me, with milk and sweetners.

Only problem with this tea is that it tends to loose its tannin a few weeks after I've opened the box. I usually throw the last few bags away 'cos fresh has more of a kick.

(OK, perhaps I should just stop being lazy and transfer it to an airtight container).

I just made a cup of tea but since I was out of teabags I made it with some fresh loose one I got as a gift quite recently (including some proper tea mugs). Luckily, I had a tea strainer lying around but it feels like it came out too thin. In fact, I felt like I didn't quite do it right.

A lot of generic teabags tend to be 'builder's brew' strength. So maybe this gift tea is a more subtle blend than you're used to.

Incidentally, the last time I had builders in the house I bought some typhoo and got some sugar in on purpose. Turned out they only drank hot water. Most strange.

jeremy h
Feb 7, 2012, 11:21 AM
Don't hold with all these perfumed waters (Earl Grey etc) that masquerade as tea. Like to consider myself a worker rather than a gentleman, therefore...

Twinnings Everyday for me. Tea bag in the mug - pour in hot water, add milk. Stir and remove Teabag when tea is the correct colour. (Can be tricky to judge in the winter under energy saving bulbs. It's most annoying when you walk away and have to go back and dump the tea bag back in or add extra milk to amend the brew.)

Repeat at least a dozen times a day...

DollFaceDork
Feb 7, 2012, 11:25 AM
I'm a Tetley girl myself.

Strong but milky no sugar.

Please :p

jeremy h
Feb 7, 2012, 11:28 AM
Incidentally, the last time I had builders in the house I bought some typhoo and got some sugar in on purpose. Turned out they only drank hot water. Most strange.

Hmmm... If they were British Workers it's possible that they've got way past the drinking it as a liquid stage and had begun to snort loose leaf tea directly when you weren't looking.

Perhaps the boiling water was to help them come down from their tea induced highs when gathered around the paint spattered radio...

barkomatic
Feb 7, 2012, 11:43 AM
I like my tea in a bottle with a Snapple label on it.

chown33
Feb 7, 2012, 11:55 AM

Loose leaf takes longer to brew than teabags, to reach the same strength.

It's because teabags have finely powdered tea "dust", so they give up their flavor to the water very quickly. Loose leaf has much larger leaves, many times the size of the dust in a teabag. It takes longer to get the flavor out.

I use loose leaf all the time (Republic of Tea, among others). At the bottom of a tin or 1 lb bag will be maybe a teaspoonful of tea dust. It brews up as fast as teabags (which I almost never use). But the loose leaves that make up the bulk of the tea takes longer.

808?
Feb 7, 2012, 11:58 AM
Earl Grey. Milk + Sugar

Huntn
Feb 7, 2012, 12:15 PM
Hot or Iced, plain jane.

Samskeyti
Feb 7, 2012, 12:32 PM
Green tea and a dash of milk. Has to be loose-leafed; bagged green tea lacks that rich flavor.

LorenK
Feb 7, 2012, 01:43 PM
Ir you're looking for the boost that coffee gives, Twinings Russian Caravan with honey or jam. I can't drink it anymore, too much caffeine. Ultimately, the tea flavor depends on how long you steep the tea and how hot the water. You don't want to use boiling water, that's why you move it from the kettle to the tea pot, it cools the water just a bit. Then steep the tea for four or five minutes, rushing it just gives water that's good to dye shirts brown, but not much else. I find tea by itself to be dry out the throat, so adding honey or jam, both adds a flavor and improves the beneficial aspects of the the tea. I don't understand why anyone would put milk in tea, perhaps for the fat in the milk, but that changes the taste more than sugar, honey or jam would. Above all, if you like tea, then experiment with different kinds and different additives, and you will understand why people go to Starbucks for all their coffee concoctions.

Alaerian
Feb 7, 2012, 01:45 PM
The only acceptable way to drink tea is Southern Sweet Tea. ;)

AnimaLeo
Feb 7, 2012, 01:52 PM
Earl Grey, with a dash of milk. I love strong tea, but can't stand tea with no milk. Also, I enjoy making loose leaf tea, but rarely have it.

MasterHowl
Feb 7, 2012, 01:59 PM
Don't mind as long as it's Yorkshire tea ;)

steve2112
Feb 7, 2012, 02:00 PM
The only acceptable way to drink tea is Southern Sweet Tea. ;)

Yep. Or a Long Island Iced Tea. :D

LostSoul80
Feb 7, 2012, 02:02 PM
No milk for me, just some lemon and sugar makes it perfect.

rhett7660
Feb 7, 2012, 02:02 PM
I have been on an Iced Chai Tea Latta kick so I that is what I have been drinking a lot of lately. Either homemade, Starbucks or Panera Bread. :D

gramirez2012
Feb 7, 2012, 02:24 PM
Plain.

cambookpro
Feb 7, 2012, 04:02 PM
PG Tips (I'm such a pleb) with milk and one or two sugars depending on my mood.

pivo6
Feb 7, 2012, 04:05 PM
Loose leaf, mainly Darjeeling, and a bit of sugar.

heehee
Feb 7, 2012, 05:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Plain or sometimes with honey.

NutsNGum
Feb 7, 2012, 05:54 PM
Firstly, excellent thread.

Secondly, it's PG Tips for me, plus 1 seconds-pouring worth of milk.

Monkeh!

wordoflife
Feb 7, 2012, 06:01 PM
I never use tea bags anymore ... only loose leaf.

Melrose
Feb 7, 2012, 06:08 PM
Milk and sugar. Not too sweet and just enough milk to take the nip of tannic out.

KnightWRX
Feb 7, 2012, 06:11 PM
Soooo many sugar sinners.

Black tea - hot with a little milk.
Green tea - hot.

Demosthenes X
Feb 7, 2012, 08:32 PM
I mostly drink Green and Peppermint, and either one with nothing in it.

Occasionally Earl Gray or Orange Pekoe, in which case milk and sugar.

sl33t
Feb 7, 2012, 08:41 PM
iced..............

Samskeyti
Feb 7, 2012, 08:59 PM
Is anyone hardcore enough to drink Yerba Mate?
http://s3.amazonaws.com/companiesandme/public/images/feature_images/185/yerba-mate_large.jpg
Pretty potent stuff, but damn delicious. Gives you all the caffeine kick from coffee with many times more the antioxidants. It simply must be the reason people in Uruguay (who drink this stuff religiously) have a life expectancy of around 80, when they primarily eat meat, breads and sugary foods (and replace water for coke).

Abstract
Feb 7, 2012, 09:04 PM
Simple, I fill my mouth with tea leaves and pour hot water into my mouth.

lewis82
Feb 7, 2012, 09:28 PM
I don't.

But neither do I drink coffee ;) I'm a milk type of guy.

Hastings101
Feb 7, 2012, 10:51 PM
Plain, I never add anything to it. I do like it cold though, hot tea is gross.

garybUK
Feb 8, 2012, 02:07 AM
PG tips .... in a tea pot .... brewed for 5 minutes, then milk (not too much).

I always take a box to Germany with me, don't know what's up with Lipton's, never had it in England before and it tastes of urine.

jeremy h
Feb 8, 2012, 02:57 AM
Lipton's is a British brand I think... (I can vaguely remember shopping in a Liptons supermaket as a kid) but as a standard tea (not a special lemon type etc), I've only ever encountered it abroad. (Pehaps it a cheap export only thing and they use the sweeping's up from the floor in the teabag factory toilets?)

Ritzenhoff
Feb 8, 2012, 02:59 AM
black tea (9 dragon from teavana is my current favorite). 1 tsp per 8 ounces.. let steep 3 minutes :cool:

wpotere
Feb 8, 2012, 04:44 AM
Is anyone hardcore enough to drink Yerba Mate?

I love Yerba Mate... It also blends well with other stuff to make some nice drinks.

roadbloc
Feb 8, 2012, 04:51 AM
Sugar ruins tea. The real tea drinkers just have milk. And none of these daft herbal teas either. Just normal tea.

iBlue
Feb 8, 2012, 04:52 AM
Twinings Everyday. I take it with a spoonful of sugar and plenty of milk. Proper British teas are STRONG and quite repulsive without milk. I like sweet Chai tea as well.

I prefer coffee.

siurpeeman
Feb 8, 2012, 04:56 AM
iced and unsweetened.

Samskeyti
Feb 8, 2012, 05:59 AM
I love Yerba Mate... It also blends well with other stuff to make some nice drinks.
Such as?

wpotere
Feb 8, 2012, 07:51 AM
Such as?

Had it with lemonade once and it was rather nice.

Had it here...

http://www.commongroundcafe.com/

Interesting little place.

Samskeyti
Feb 8, 2012, 08:33 AM
Had it with lemonade once and it was rather nice.

Had it here...

http://www.commongroundcafe.com/

Interesting little place.
Ah, icing it with honey and lemon is pretty great. When I don't feel like having it straight up, I drink it with milk and honey (which is how I started out).

wpotere
Feb 8, 2012, 08:46 AM
Ah, icing it with honey and lemon is pretty great. When I don't feel like having it straight up, I drink it with milk and honey (which is how I started out).

That sounds good as well. I like this Mate as well..

http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/mate-teas/p/mat-vana-herbal-tea

I usually have this in the morning with a touch of stevia extract but I like the Yerba Mate more. Both are pretty darn good. :)