Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the new cursor?

• I like it!

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • I hate it!

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • It's tolerable.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 31 50.0%

• Total voters

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Put your mouse over the MacRumors logo, and look at your icon.
If you're on OS X 10.7.3, your hand should have a slanted index finger as opposed to the previous straight finger.

new-pointers-cjr.jpg

What are your opinions on this new "slanted finger" cursor?

(personally that slanted finger makes me think that the finger is broken)

iMac-do you?

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
England
The slanted finger is following human anatomy I think. Extend your index finger on your right hand, and curl up your other fingers, as per the cursor. Your index finger does slant to the left a little (or mine does at least!). :)

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
The slanted finger is following human anatomy I think. Extend your index finger on your right hand, and curl up your other fingers, as per the cursor. Your index finger does slant to the left a little (or mine does at least!). :)

Then I must be an anomaly...

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
As if there weren't more important things that need doing in Lion...
Exactly. Of all the crap to mull over about Lion... :D

Honestly, I hadn't noticed until this cursor thing got front page exposure somewhere. Amazingly, I haven't slept any better or worse since its discovery.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Then I must be an anomaly...

Nice hand - Apple might have a job for you. ;)

Which one of these hand positions looks more natural though, i.e. for which one do you think the user would have felt most comfortable?

ipad1.png
ipad2.png

Not that any of this really matters... :p

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Nice hand - Apple might have a job for you. ;)

Which one of these hand positions looks more natural though, i.e. for which one do you think the user would have felt most comfortable?

ImageImage

Not that any of this really matters... :p

The one to the right.
It would be quite painful to touch the iPad's screen with the side of your finger all the time...

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I think the bigger issue is how this shows how rushed Lion was. You don't go about changing little things like this in point releases of an OS, these are things that should be decided upon when you decide on the feature set.

----------

My main concern has always been, how do left handed people cope with the hand cursor at all?

Try using stacks on the dock, with your left hand. It goes the opposite direction of the natural arc that your hand makes. I filed a bug report on it in Leopard, and closed it as "by design". :mad:

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I haven't noticed until I see this post about it to me is this a cursor doesn't really matter to me it doesn't look too different from the previous one

1woman

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Mouse Cursor 10.7.3

Help! What about left-handed folks like me? How to turn the cursor to the right would be helpful information.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
am left-handed, but...stopped thinking about that a long time ago.

who cares about the slight changes in the cursor? am busy looking at what the cursor is POINTED AT...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.