Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vonage has introduced yet another app to its growing mobile arsenal. The latest, called Vonage Mobile (not to be confused with another app called Vonage Mobile, introduced in 2009) adds a Skype-esque component to the old app's VoIP calling component.

Users with Vonage Mobile installed can make "high-definition" audio calls or SMS-type text messages over Wi-Fi and 3G to other Vonage Mobile users. Users can also make low-cost international calls with credits added via In-App Purchasing.

vonagescreenies.jpg

Calls to landline or wireless numbers in the US, Canada or Puerto Rico, from anywhere in the world, are free for a limited time -- Vonage expects to charge around a penny per minute for those calls eventually. The company believes its higher call-quality and competitive pricing will allow it to stand apart from competing apps like Skype.

Vonage Mobile is available free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Vonage Rolls Out "High-Definition" VoIP Calling App

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Vonage pulled all of their other apps and put up two new apps.

If you added a bunch of money to their old apps - it's gone! They are discontinuing service to the old apps and won't transfer your balance. They are pocketing the money. correction: they will refund the money if you call them.

The new apps aren't as capable as the old one. You can finally (officially) use your Vonage Home number with your iPhone, but they dropped the VoIP part! It refuses to dial over WiFi, forcing you to use standard cell minutes.

Last edited:

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you added a bunch of money to their old apps - it's gone! They are discontinuing service to the old apps and won't transfer your balance. They are pocketing the money.

The new apps aren't as capable as the old one. You can finally (officially) use your Vonage Home number with your iPhone, but they dropped the VoIP part! It refuses to dial over WiFi, forcing you to use standard cell minutes.

It doesn't look like it can receive incoming calls, for full VOIP you're right. But if I pop out my sim card and use just wifi, outgoing calls work ok for me.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Hmmmm... No video?

Move along folks, nothing to see here. I'll stick with the HD audio that Skype already offers and use the video aspect when needed.

An audio only app doesn't make sense in the current scheme of things. Skype, Oovoo, Tango, etc. offer video.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'll wait for the upcoming 3D version. High Definition is so 2000's!

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Hmmmm... No video?

Move along folks, nothing to see here. I'll stick with the HD audio that Skype already offers and use the video aspect when needed.

An audio only app doesn't make sense in the current scheme of things. Skype, Oovoo, Tango, etc. offer video.

Different strokes for different folks. Only 1 in 1000 calls I have wished I could have had video. Maybe someday, when video calling is cross-compatible between FaceTime, Skype etc. (likely never).

natedog64

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
Vonage will not be keeping your money!

If you added a bunch of money to their old apps - it's gone! They are discontinuing service to the old apps and won't transfer your balance. They are pocketing the money.

I can't speak to the usefulness of the new Vonage app but I did speak with tech support and customer service today and they told me that while the apps will no longer be available to download (beginning today) and completely unusable in March, any remaining balances would be refunded at that time if there is still money in the old apps.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I can't speak to the usefulness of the new Vonage app but I did speak with tech support and customer service today and they told me that while the apps will no longer be available to download (beginning today) and completely unusable in March, any remaining balances would be refunded at that time if there is still money in the old apps.

I emailed Vonage support, and they too told me I could get a refund, only if I called their 800-number and requested a refund, so I guess I'll do that.

I liked how their old app worked. I had it installed on a bunch of devices, iPhones, iPads, etc. I could make calls from any device over WiFi and caller ID would show whatever number I put in - my iPhone number, my home number, etc. With Vonage Mobile and Google Voice, I could basically make calls from 3 different numbers on my iPhone.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
International rates seem to be about half way between Google Voice and Skype. Audio quality is fantastic over WiFi. The UI is clumsy with awkward "you are about to call" dialog box that requires you to hit "continue" to use your carrier or "Vonage" to use Vonage.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
No incoming phone number? I like Skype's skype-in numbers, but they're only available in a dozen or so countries, and not where I want. I was hoping Vonage would have something similar, and with more countries.

dehory

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2008
International rates seem to be about half way between Google Voice and Skype. Audio quality is fantastic over WiFi. The UI is clumsy with awkward "you are about to call" dialog box that requires you to hit "continue" to use your carrier or "Vonage" to use Vonage.

I second the comment about excellent audio quality over WiFi and the awkwardness of that dialogue box.

I've been using Talkatone for Google Voice VoIP for a while, but in the last month or so, call quality has been absolutely abysmal. Vonage seems to be a huge improvement in that respect.

No incoming phone number? I like Skype's skype-in numbers, but they're only available in a dozen or so countries, and not where I want. I was hoping Vonage would have something similar, and with more countries.

At the moment, I have my Google Voice number set up as Vonage's caller ID number, so if I can see incoming calls and return the call through the Vonage app. It's a pain, but it's workable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.