PDA

View Full Version : iOS Capability Questions

marcopinder
Feb 9, 2012, 05:49 AM
Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding iOS I hope someone can answer please. I have an idea for a project that I may outsource, but I would like to check the following is possible...

1. Can an iOS app initiate a phone call to a pre-defined number when triggered by an external source, e.g. hardware button?

2. Can an iOS app send multiple (group) SMS messages to pre-defined numbers when triggered by an external source, e.g. hardware button?

3. Can an iOS app embed your GPS co-ordinates into an SMS message?

With the above I am interested in whether the outcome is possible with correct design and programming.

Thanks,

Marco

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 9, 2012, 05:56 AM
#1 and #2:
Yes, you can have it call phone numbers, and I think send SMS messages, too. You're going to be hard pressed to use a hardware button though, they're all preprogrammed to do other things and Apple rejects apps that have them do new things on a regular basis. If you'd like to make a dongle that can attach to the iPhone, you could add a button there. Or have something that sends a message saying its a wireless keyboard.

I'm pretty sure you can do that, too.

Making a phone call, sending an SMS message, and collecting GPS information would all require permission from the user.

marcopinder
Feb 9, 2012, 06:02 AM
Hi AOW,

Thanks for your prompt reply, it's useful to know that these scenarios are possible.

Do you program for iOS devices yourself?

robbieduncan
Feb 9, 2012, 06:41 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't call numbers. You can bring up the Phone interface with a number pre-entered but the user has to hit call. Similarly with SMS messages (unless you are using your own SMS gateway) you cannot send anything without the user hitting the button in the Messages app.

marcopinder
Feb 9, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hi Robbie,

Thanks for your feedback also, although bad news for my idea...

I see you are based in London, so too am I.

I am very new to the world of iOS and have a few ideas I would like to bounce off someone with experience such as yours.

Is there any chance I could buy you a coffee and pick your brains for 30 minutes one day please?

Thanks,

Marco