Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
Im considering a new MacBook to replace my first generation aluminum iMac. I do have an iPad, but I think I'd enjoy having a full featured laptop with me. I'm wondering how some of you deal will the smaller hard drives on the MacBook Air. Do you keep some of your apps and data on an external drive? Also considering an external monitor for home use.

One last question. I'm not sure when today's model came out, are there any expected updates in the coming months?

Thanks!

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
There are a few options for using external storage devices to stick your larger files on. If you get the 256, that's a fair amount of space unless you have a huge music library. Personally, I pretty much use streaming for most of my media these days, so 256 is fine.

No one knows when the new models might come out, but the best guess is sometime this summer with a smaller chance of sometime in late spring.

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I have the 256GB and it is plenty of room for me. I can fit all of my stuff on it. I have a 2TB backup drive but that is mostly for offsite media (NAS) and time machine backups.

If you look at the top of the page there is a buyers guide with release dates and rumors on current and new models than you'd ever need!

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.