Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I think that's like saying

Hello,

I know that nails are hammered using hammers, but i found this link on adobe which say that one can hammer nails using rocks.

Can it work? Probably. Will the results come out as well? No, probably not.

I have been informed that learning a second and third programming language after you know a first is pretty easy, so I'd say it's time to get learning.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
i found this video also, it looks that it is very easy to start with flash builder

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adc-presents/build-ios-applications-using-flex-and-flash-builder-45/

but i don't know why you say it will not make a good results, do you any experience with it?

I do not have any experience with it; I suppose my original answer was simply that of an Apple fanboy. I imagine the apps produced by this are similar to Java apps on a Mac: they lack the Mac atmosphere about them and they're inefficient with system resources because they weren't optimized for the platform.

Edit: Watching the video, it looked to me like the demonstration app was slow and not iOS-native. It was most noticeable when he would tap on tabs. He'd tap a tab, a few moments later the tab that was tapped would highlight, a few moments after that the previous tab would unhighlight, and then the page would actually appear. If it changes tabs that slowly, imagine how slowly it does other things. The app looked more like it belonged on Android than iOS.

Last edited:

hisham.i

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I don't have any experience with flash builder, or xCode, but for the following reasons i found flash builer interesting to work with:
1- I have windows platform
2- I want to build the same application as an app for ios, for android, and also for browser application, and flash will help doing all of this.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
2- I want to build the same application as an app for ios, for android, and also for browser application, and flash will help doing all of this.

It may well but your app will look like what it is: a web app ported to iOS taking advantage of none of the features and feeling alien on the platform. Rather like Adobe Air based apps do on the desktop. They stick out like a sore thumb and I absolutely hate them.

Most iOS users expect polished, native feeling, apps. This is not the way to achieve that.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
At the company I work for, we build apps using Adobe AIR/Flex.
The issue is, the responsiveness is much slower, you won't reach all the native UI things. You will get crashes since the memory management isn't 100%
Take a look at maginarium etc for iPad 2. They had to build it only for the iPad 2, because the memory management was too bad, for just some images, (it's a rebuild of the Flash version).
There are lot's of other things, which will keep u endless working around issues which could be easily solved in the UI.
There is the advantage, you can compile for Android/iOS/Blackberry Playbook.
But in the end, we all code it native anyways..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.