PDA

View Full Version : LifeProof iPhone Case Offers Protection Against Water and Shock Damage

MacRumors
Feb 9, 2012, 02:02 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/09/lifeproof-iphone-case-offers-protection-against-water-and-shock-damage/)

One of the most frequent reasons for an iPhone to go on a trip to the Apple Store's Genius Bar is because of water damage. Typically, a water damaged iPhone can be replaced for a flat $199 fee, though with the recently launched AppleCare+ (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/04/apple-launches-applecare-with-accidental-iphone-damage-coverage/), that price can be reduced to $49.

Most ultra-durable iPhone cases, like Otterbox's Defender (http://www.otterbox.com/defender-series-cases/defender-series-cases,default,sc.html) or Case Mate's TANK (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/03/case-mate-introduces-tank-a-military-grade-iphone-case/), are merely water-resistant -- not actually water proof. They might protect an iPhone during a rainstorm, but they can't handle a dunk in the pool or -- perhaps more likely -- a drop in the toilet.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/lifeproofcase.jpg

LifeProof's iPhone case (http://www.lifeproof.com/lifeproof-store/apple-cases/iphone-4-g2), however, promises otherwise. The manufacturer claims the case is Waterproof, Dirtproof, Snowproof, and Shockproof -- the video below demonstrates the waterproof claim. The case completely covers the iPhone, using rubber gaskets around each seal to ensure a tight fit. There is an removable screw that plugs the headphone jack, allowing easy access to that port when necessary. LifeProof also sells an adapter (http://www.lifeproof.com/headphone-adaptor) that allows waterproof headphones to be hooked up for use while swimming.

It's not for those who like to switch cases frequently, however. The installation manual warns that the gaskets have a limited lifespan and the case shouldn't be removed and reinstalled more than a few dozen times. Further, the installation process is a bit of a pain -- before it is installed, LifeProof recommends that the case be put underwater for an hour, to ensure that there are no leaks in the gaskets.

DuDerD9F3sQ
The $79 LifeProof case comes in black, white, pink and purple. It is available from LifeProof's online store (http://www.lifeproof.com/lifeproof-store/apple-cases/iphone-4-g2).

Article Link: LifeProof iPhone Case Offers Protection Against Water and Shock Damage (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/09/lifeproof-iphone-case-offers-protection-against-water-and-shock-damage/)

soco
Feb 9, 2012, 02:06 PM
Never again will I fear a game of Plants vs. Zombies on the pooper.

JonneyGee
Feb 9, 2012, 02:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I wonder how the mic and speaker function through a case thick and durable enough to be waterproof. If they work well, this could make for a great underwater HD camera!

trogdorDR
Feb 9, 2012, 02:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I wonder how the mic and speaker function through a case thick and durable enough to be waterproof. If they work well, this could make for a great underwater HD camera!

It actually works quite well. I have the case in white for my 4s. I used it when we went out playing in the snow. The video looks great with good sound. I was able to take a phone call without any trouble hearing the person on the other end, and didnt get any comments about sounding muffled. You have to push a little more firmly on the touch screen, but thats a small price to pay. The external speakers still work great, and although I had to turn it up a bit louder than normal, everything could be heard clearly. The sound seems to resonate off of the back of the case a little bit. Overall, best case I ever had.

eawmp1
Feb 9, 2012, 02:17 PM
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL COMPANY ITS DISTRIBUTORS OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THE PRODUCT, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, PROPERTY DAMAGE, LOSS OF VALUE OF THE PRODUCT OR ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED IN OR WITH THE PRODUCT, OR LOSS OF USE OF THE PRODUCT OR ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED IN OR WITH THE PRODUCT, EVEN IF COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. COMPANY HAS NO LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION TO CONSUMER ELECTRONICS DEVICES OR OTHER PERSONAL PROPERTY THAT ARE IN THE PRODUCTS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LAPTOPS, CELLULAR PHONES, OR OTHER HANDHELD DEVICES, OR ANY LOSS OF DATA CONTAINED IN THE FOREGOING DEVICES, ETC. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY DAMAGES THAT YOU MIGHT INCUR FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL DAMAGES REFERENCED HEREIN AND ALL DIRECT OR GENERAL DAMAGES IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE), THE ENTIRE LIABILITY OF COMPANY AND ANY OF ITS DISTRIBUTORS AND/OR SUPPLIERS SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU FOR THE PRODUCT. SOME STATES AND/OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

I'd still worry.

chainprayer
Feb 9, 2012, 02:28 PM
Good to know that if I'm strolling through a power substation and get fried, my apps will be safe.

agentkow
Feb 9, 2012, 02:32 PM
My friend has a LifeProof case and drops in the the hot tub all the time just to freak people out.

swordfish5736
Feb 9, 2012, 02:36 PM
My friend has a LifeProof case and drops in the the hot tub all the time just to freak people out.

Reminds me of when I got the original iPhone and would take people's car keys and try to scratch the screen

Joshwawilson
Feb 9, 2012, 02:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is pretty old news

KindredMAC
Feb 9, 2012, 02:39 PM
I wonder how cell reception is 10 feet under water.... I would assume that the water kills the radio signals big time.

willed
Feb 9, 2012, 02:48 PM
I'd be interested to hear views on this or any competing cases from owners - I'm hoping to use my 4S as an underwater camera on a holiday soon and am looking for the best case. This lifeproof one looks pretty good.

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 9, 2012, 02:50 PM
I wonder how cell reception is 10 feet under water.... I would assume that the water kills the radio signals big time.

The water in your body kills the signal the iPhone gets if you hold it "wrong". Given submerging it in water is like holding it in every way possible all at once, it'll probably "death grip" it in dozens of ways at once. You'll get no signal at all.

KamuiVII
Feb 9, 2012, 03:08 PM
I have LifeProof cases on my iPhone and my wifes. Works as well as you'd expect for the phone being actually 'encased' in plastic.

People dont have a problem hearing me, but opening up the port where the charger goes greatly improves mic quality. Also doing so greatly increases the speakers. The touch screen is a bit laggy on the edges as the plastic film above it doesn't hug the screen but just sits slightly above it. To me, worth the $80, but I dont see myself submerging it anytime soon but its worth the protection just in case.

also the edges of the case is rubber so it does protect it from drops decently as I have dropped my phone several times from about hip or jacket pocket level and no damage.

AriX
Feb 9, 2012, 03:13 PM
The water in your body kills the signal the iPhone gets if you hold it "wrong". Given submerging it in water is like holding it in every way possible all at once, it'll probably "death grip" it in dozens of ways at once. You'll get no signal at all.

I... don't think that's right. Water doesn't interfere with cell signals. It's water. The death grip is because your body is somewhat conductive and you "bridge the gap" between the two antennas if you touch it in a certain way. With this case, the phone will not come in contact with the water (which may or may not be conductive anyway), and therefore shouldn't be affected.

EDIT: I am incorrect.

mlmwalt
Feb 9, 2012, 03:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Dude, watch the video clip. Pretty cool stuff. I think I see this case arriving in my future or at least before my Jamaica trip.

drewsof07
Feb 9, 2012, 03:51 PM
Should note that the multitouch doesn't work underwater.

2 Replies
Feb 9, 2012, 03:51 PM
-- perhaps more likely -- a drop in the toilet.

And now I have a new reason to baby my original phone, and opt out of Apple's refurb offers. O_O

PEOPLE, when taking a $h1t put the phones AWAY!

bedifferent
Feb 9, 2012, 04:19 PM
It is recommended to place the device in water for approximately one hour to ensure proper case installation? Hmmm, that's a pretty big risk as any number of issues may arise, such as a slight defect in a particular case that went unnoticed. As their company policy states they take no responsibility if something should occur (understandable), I'd pass. I'm sure it would be a very minimal possibility, but one none the less. :)

EDIT: Stand corrected, as someone pointed out, the CASE should be tested WITHOUT the iPhone. Next time I'll read more thoroughly lol :o

Analog Kid
Feb 9, 2012, 04:31 PM

AT&T's underwater coverage sucks...

jlgolson
Feb 9, 2012, 04:45 PM
It is recommended to place the device in water for approximately one hour to ensure proper case installation?
It's recommended to place the CASE underwater for one hour to ensure the gaskets aren't leaking BEFORE putting the iPhone in it.

trogdorDR
Feb 9, 2012, 04:54 PM
Should note that the multitouch doesn't work underwater.

It does (kinda) if you leave a bit of an "air bubble" between the screen and the plastic. But being able to use the Vol Up button to snap a picture is way easier to do than fumble with the screen.

baryon
Feb 9, 2012, 05:21 PM
But then there's Liquipel, that also waterproofs the iPhone without a case! I hope that Apple uses the technology in future products, that would be pretty cool!

rcappo
Feb 9, 2012, 05:26 PM
I have this case, and it works great. The only negative is that the front screen feels a little bit apart from the screen. I wish they would have had one that stuck onto the screen like a screen protector. And I think the Pelican case method of accessing the sync port is a little more secure. You can open up the bottom door to plug it in to sync and charge, and you can get a screw-in headphone adapter to listen to music where it might get wet. The big problem is if the bottom door came open when underwater...

I will try it out when I get to a beach to see how well it takes pictures underwater.

And they need to get some more armbands in stock, but I would definitely purchase this case again. It is nice that it is a good size and all the buttons work.

I would like to see them add an optional floating strap for when I am kayaking to clip it in and protect it from sinking. I might be able to modify it to add that however. They do have a good bike mount.

dflowerz
Feb 9, 2012, 05:59 PM
I have been using one of these cases for quite a few months and overall it's great. Downsides are slightly added bulk, having to screw in the special headphone adapter, and horrible results trying to use the speakerphone. I bought this because I accidentally killed my 3Gs when I was riding a motorcycle in the rain and had the phone in a supposedly waterproof pocket. I got home and the phone was soaked and very dead. Now there are no issues here in rainy Seattle. I use the phone outdoors in the rain and never have to worry about water damage, so for me this case is fantastic despite the few small issues.

AmpSkillz
Feb 9, 2012, 06:01 PM
My coworker bought this months ago, and I don't see the point, i mean even the otter box (which he had before this) and tank add significant water resistance, but I have to say that the iPhone 4/4s is pretty damn water "resistant" on it's own

I had mine in my front shirt pocket (with no case or screen protector) and bent down to kiss my wife (who was taking a bubble bath) goodbye. Phone slipped out of my pocket and into the tub behind her and we spent quite a few seconds getting her up and out of the way then trying to find and grab onto the phone under the soapy water. Pulled phone out and it was still on and working perfectly. The only thing that happened was there was a small bubble or something on the camera lens for about a week but it finally went away.

6 months later I screwed up the phone by unplugging it during an itunes restore and the phone would not connect to iTunes properly again so the Apple store checked it out and replaced it for free. They apparently could not tell it had been submerged in water at all.

bedifferent
Feb 9, 2012, 06:38 PM
It's recommended to place the CASE underwater for one hour to ensure the gaskets aren't leaking BEFORE putting the iPhone in it.

DOH! Should have read that when I wasn't in a rush. :o

dweezle3
Feb 9, 2012, 06:47 PM
I agree, this is fairly old and I'm a bit surprised it took them this long to post about it. Nevertheless, it's really an amazing case. It is equal to, if not more durable than an otterbox case, and waterproof, all in a slimmer, matté finished, sleek profile. I've been using this for a few months now and couldn't be more impressed with it's quality and the amount of protection it provides. I drop it all the time just to see people's reactions :D I think (and I'm sure others would agree) that $80 is easily a worthy investment to be able to take the phone out of the case in a year or two and have a brand new, mint condition phone in your hand. Highly recommend this case!

sigurdmagnusson
Feb 9, 2012, 08:10 PM
Have taken it into the sea and to a indoor swimming pool, works very well. Video quality very high, and sound is recorded underwater too -- and importantly, has totally lived up to the watertightness claim. I have an iPhone 4.

Really, because it is an expensive item you take everywhere with you, an iPhone should be waterproof to 2m, simply to avoid the normal contact with water in normal life... like rain seeping into trouser pockets or accidental knock into a kitchen sink.

mrxak
Feb 9, 2012, 08:57 PM
I have been using this case since day one of the 4S release. I use it every day in the shower for listening to music or internet radio, or even checking my email or new sites. I can definitely attest to its waterproofness. The first time I used it in the shower, I was nervous, but now I don't even think about it. The only two problems can't really be helped, and that's misting on the screen from the spray (brush the moisture off or run it under a stream directly to fix), and the capacitive screen stops working underwater since the water is conductive. Just with water splashed or sprayed on there, though, the multitouch still works if your hands aren't too wet so the screen gets confused. As I said, these things can't be helped, they're just part of the physical world we live in.

I never intentionally dropped my phone to test its durability against falls, and so for a while, that aspect of the case went untested, but in the last month or two, I've accidentally dropped the thing onto hard surfaces a few times. No problems, phone is great.

As for sound quality, I do believe it has an effect on the speaker, but it's not that bad. Like I said, I use the speaker every day in the shower, and it's great. Using the ear speaker it sounds normal. In terms of mic quality, it's far away better than the 3G mic with no case on, which is all I have to go by. When I made my first phone call with the new 4S, before I even had a chance to say I had a new phone, the person on the other side remarked that my voice was really clear, so I guess that says something. All the buttons work fine, the camera works fine, the headphone port is covered and the cover needs to be unscrewed before you can use it, or you can screw in the waterproof adapter and just have a dangly thing attached.

The screen protector is rather reflective, so in very bright sunlight, it might bother you. It doesn't bother me, but I thought I'd mention it.

The case itself is quite stylish, I think. Very low-profile, adds a bit of length on the bottom, but not much width or depth. It's not trying to look fancy, or rugged, or pretty, it's just a good solid case where everything works and you don't have to ever worry about it. Doesn't get stuck in pockets, all the buttons work just fine, and the belt clip you can get for it is just as solid (and locks).

Anyway, if you want to protect your iPhone, I highly recommend this case. I decided on getting this instead of AppleCare and don't regret it one bit.

chiefsilverback
Feb 9, 2012, 09:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It is recommended to place the device in water for approximately one hour to ensure proper case installation?

Great, so we've ascertained that none of the seals/gaskets leak, so let's open it all up and hope they don't leak when they're put back together again...

Schmitty11
Feb 9, 2012, 10:19 PM
My dad needs one of these, well first he needs a iPhone :P

JodyK
Feb 9, 2012, 10:32 PM

I met a someone who had this case in Pigeon Forge, TN while on vacation at an indoor water park. He was constantly dropping his iPhone 4 in the water to get people's reaction. It worked as I struck up a conversation with him about it.

Great case that does what it claims!

Pesky0.o
Feb 9, 2012, 11:01 PM

I have this case an it's AMAZING anyone thinking about getting one. DO IT!!!

donniedarko
Feb 9, 2012, 11:10 PM
I know guys who work with Quiksilver and their new brand VSTR who have shoot all their surf water footage with the iP4s in these cases. Wouldnt have believed til I saw the footage. Pretty impressive and you couldnt get a better testimony then that...

Bigsk8r
Feb 9, 2012, 11:33 PM
I... don't think that's right. Water doesn't interfere with cell signals. It's water. The death grip is because your body is somewhat conductive and you "bridge the gap" between the two antennas if you touch it in a certain way. With this case, the phone will not come in contact with the water (which may or may not be conductive anyway), and therefore shouldn't be affected.

AriX, you cracked me up there!

Do you know what a Faraday Cage is? Do you know why you lose satellite signal when thick clouds are overhead? Do you know what is considered the best electrical ground on earth?

Who am I kidding, of course you don't. Because if you knew the answer to any of those questions, you would not actually believe that a cell signal could propagate through more than a few millimeters of water.

Have you ever been in a concrete building and in the innermost rooms and halls, where there are no outer doors or windows, lost your signal? That happens because the concrete and steel in the walls keeps the signal from getting to your phone.

Same thing with this case. You are not shorting the antenna because the plastic is protecting it. What you are doing however is putting it inside a substance through which radio signals cannot pass. This is why submarines communicate submerged with ELF signals and have to surface, or extend a periscope antenna out of the water, for high speed data.

As much as I respect and admire Apple and it's products, the laws of physics are not going to change for them in their 30+ years of existence any more than they changed for the 236 years of the US Navy.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but that just hit a chord with me...

coder12
Feb 9, 2012, 11:44 PM
My solution to the water problem was created a long time ago:

Phone (in) >> zip-lock bag (in) >> zip lock bag = waterproof with "new double seal protection!"

Works pretty well for those rainy days or around the pool, the phone's survived a few deep dunks in the pool too without getting wet/damaged. :cool:

KamuiVII
Feb 10, 2012, 12:57 AM
Downsides are slightly added bulk, having to screw in the special headphone adapter, and horrible results trying to use the speakerphone.

In my earlier post I mentioned that if you open the dock connector door you'll get better mic input and speaker output... I dont use the headphone jack as 99% of my calls are speaker, this should clear up your problem for the most part... yes its annoying but... your phone is encased in plastic and rubber... the "air" has to be freed! ;)

Altervarks
Feb 10, 2012, 08:20 AM
I'd be interested to hear views on this or any competing cases from owners - I'm hoping to use my 4S as an underwater camera on a holiday soon and am looking for the best case. This lifeproof one looks pretty good.

I bought one of these last september and installed it....at first I was excited about it because I was in Hawaii and about to take it underwater, I followed the directions and installed it just how it told me. Went to make a call and the person couldnt hear me...said they could tell I was talking but not make out what I was saying. the directions for installation are also on the website and being as that my phone was the only source of internet I had also made that difficult, then navigating the page was difficult. I ended up returning the case and just using an underwater camera I got from target for $80. Also note that anytime you want to use headphones you have to unscrew the plug so it makes it somewhat inconvenient for every day use. If you're looking for something to put it in when you go down to the beach on your vacation try a ziplock bag, you can get 50 waterproof cases for around $5 and the capacitance touch screen works just fine through them.

100Teraflops
Feb 10, 2012, 08:29 AM
What a neat invention for an iPhone! If I ever go snorkeling, then I will buy this case. It's truly impressive that a phone can be submerged for an hour or os, but yet only cost $80! Try that with your DSLR!

One problem is that water you are swimming in better be 'see thru blue' or your videos will suck. Maybe the camera will capture some cool stuff? Don't know... This case is good for swimming pools. :D

PracticalMac
Feb 10, 2012, 08:48 AM
Surprised this was not reported earlier (been out for months)

Seriously considering getting this, maybe when I go to the beach...

I would need to either a BT or the wired headphones to use it tho.

PracticalMac
Feb 10, 2012, 09:04 AM

I bet their underwater warranty coverage sucks too. ;)

tehpwnerer19
Feb 10, 2012, 12:53 PM
I've had a life proof case on my 4S since they updated the case for the phone (Novemberish). It is by far the best case I have ever owned. It does everything it claims to, and is very good at it. I can text, tweet, surf, listen to music, etc. while I shower now! I can now also take it on ATV expeditions and use it as a GPS without fear of mud getting the best of it. The voice clarity on both ends doesn't seem to have changed, with the exception of speakerphone, which does seem to have degraded a little bit, for the person on the other end. The touch screen, for me at least, hasn't lost any sensitivity and doesn't require any extra force to push, and all multitouch functionality is intact. I've already dropped it in the snow/slush several times accidentally as well as into the sink, and it has come out working perfectly. In fact I wash it in the sink when it's getting too greasy or fingerprinty. The drop protection is also great. The case is not much thicker than the iPhone on it's own, and only a slight bit taller/longer. I would highly recommend this to anyone as it is a superb case, and is literally "life proof". Keep in mind that water is capacitive, so you will not have touch screen functionality underwater, and likely very poor reception as well. If you want to film underwater you have to start/stop above water.

@Altervarks - keep in mind that condensation builds up on the inside of baggies. i ruined a phone trying that while going tubing down the river. not a good idea.

----------

Great, so we've ascertained that none of the seals/gaskets leak, so let's open it all up and hope they don't leak when they're put back together again...

Makes more sense than testing it with the phone in now doesn't it......

dflowerz
Feb 10, 2012, 01:02 PM
In my earlier post I mentioned that if you open the dock connector door you'll get better mic input and speaker output... I dont use the headphone jack as 99% of my calls are speaker, this should clear up your problem for the most part... yes its annoying but... your phone is encased in plastic and rubber... the "air" has to be freed! ;)

Thanks for the tip. I'll start doing that.

xav8tor
Feb 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
Before you take the bait, check other threads here and this:

http://www.bbb.org/sandiego/business-reviews/manufacturers-and-producers/treefrog-developments-inc-in-san-diego-ca-172001444/

chadrob30
Feb 10, 2012, 08:52 PM
I've had this case for about a month or so, and I really like it. Does everything it says it will. I am an avid Geocacher and use the iPhone 4S as my exclusive GPS. More often than not I am in the woods or around water while caching. This case gives me peace of mind that if it was to be dropped in water or dropped on the ground or whatever my phone has a better chance of surviving. The only complaints I have are that the mute switch on the side of the phone is difficult to use, and sometimes when I bend over or squat down the voice control/Siri is activated...it's pretty annoying. Also, the iPod feature turned itself on when I bent down at work one day...I had Megadeth blaring in my pocket in a workplace where phones aren't allowed, lol. :o

mrxak
Feb 10, 2012, 09:07 PM

Phone (in) >> zip-lock bag (in) >> zip lock bag = waterproof with "new double seal protection!"

Works pretty well for those rainy days or around the pool, the phone's survived a few deep dunks in the pool too without getting wet/damaged. :cool:

That's nice, but why even bring your phone along if you're not going to use it? With a LifeProof case, you still have full functionality. With your "solution" you still have to expose the phone to use it, and then it can easily get destroyed. You're also not going to get any drop protection.

Nuc
Feb 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
I bought two of these on day one when they were released. After using it on my wife's phone I was not happy. It may keep the water out but the screen protector is an absolute piece of crap. The second one is still in the box. Do not buy this piece #*it!!!

They could have made the battery charger opening slightly bigger to fit more 3rd party cables. The apple cable works fine but if you want to use anything else you have to get their adapter. Very disappointed in the product!

gatortpk
Feb 11, 2012, 06:35 PM

LOL! Yea, that's why military subs can't do radio either. They have to surface with an antenna just poking above the surface or periscope for radio.

Though ultra low frequencies have been used (at very slow data rates) for communications. But using the earth as a antenna, and the sub just doesn't have the length for a equal antenna, it just doesn't work that well. Salt, or anything that makes water conductive attenuates the signal big time, from the very start at the surface.

I saw in the video "No Service", not surprised, no phone, radio, military or civilian really works. (except for some ELF experiments, I'm talking 3-30 Hz, not KHz or MHz radio!. Yes that would be wavelengths of 1 to 100 MILLION meters! At 3 Hz only four wave lengths would go to the MOON, so less than 1.5 bits per second?, enough to say "SURFACE" in about a minute, and only one way communication to the sub too.)

----------

I do that all the time, I work around pools sometimes, so it's just in case I fall in (never have though). Ziplock really works well, cheap and works while on.

gatortpk
Feb 11, 2012, 06:47 PM

Fresh water isn't as bad, but yet, water does block radio signals. Even at pure water has 1 part per 10,000,000 ions of H+ and OH- to interfere with radio. (Hence pH of 7 / 10^-7) But Fresh Water is hardly pure either.

Here's what I said in an earlier post to Analog Kid's post:

LOL! Yea, that's why military subs can't do radio either. They have to surface with an antenna just poking above the surface or periscope for radio.

Though ultra low frequencies have been used (at very slow data rates) for communications. But using the earth as a antenna, and the sub just doesn't have the length for a equal antenna, it just doesn't work that well. Salt, or anything that makes water conductive attenuates the signal big time, from the very start at the surface.

I saw in the video "No Service", not surprised, no phone, radio, military or civilian really works. (except for some ELF experiments, I'm talking 3-30 Hz, not KHz or MHz radio!. Yes that would be wavelengths of 1 to 100 MILLION meters! At 3 Hz only four wave lengths would go to the MOON, so less than 1.5 bits per second?, enough to say "SURFACE" in about a minute, and only one way communication to the sub too.)

alecgold
Feb 12, 2012, 01:40 AM
That's nice, but why even bring your phone along if you're not going to use it? With a LifeProof case, you still have full functionality. With your "solution" you still have to expose the phone to use it, and then it can easily get destroyed. You're also not going to get any drop protection.

I like to use a Phonak comcom headset a lot, so if I need waterproof protection, I use a aloksak. Easy to install, easy to get out, good waterproof and cheap.
You can use it trought the aloksak, your usual bumper/case can stay on and protect against bumps, so it's not as bad as you picture it.

jrfive0
Feb 12, 2012, 05:03 PM

I have been using one of these cases for quite a few months and overall it's great. Downsides are slightly added bulk, having to screw in the special headphone adapter, and horrible results trying to use the speakerphone. I bought this because I accidentally killed my 3Gs when I was riding a motorcycle in the rain and had the phone in a supposedly waterproof pocket. I got home and the phone was soaked and very dead. Now there are no issues here in rainy Seattle. I use the phone outdoors in the rain and never have to worry about water damage, so for me this case is fantastic despite the few small issues.

What the heck are you doing riding a motorcycle in the rain for? Some kind of deathwish? Lol

hassiman
Feb 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
I have had mine for a few months and I love it. The GoreTex seals stop water but NOT air. 3 weeks ago my wife accidently knocked my phone off the shelf in the kitchen and into the water-filled sink. She didn't know my case was waterproof so I sat back and watched with a pretend scowl on my face while she hunted through the hot soapy water and finally found it by draininb the sink... thinking she had just ruined my phone. (she has a 4s also but in a SENA case ) after she finally found it I told her I now had soap all over the phone... and much to her surprise I held it under the water to wash it off. Then I old her. SAhe was a bit peeved. :D

I LOVE this case. 1000% better that my former fav the Otter.

thearne3
Feb 14, 2012, 11:21 AM
The maker says 'don't be taking the case off and on' ,so:

Do you have to remove the case to change SIM cards?

Does the Phone with case fit most external speaker devices, ie, is the rubber extension at the bottom too thick to engage the connector on a Logitech or Bose or similar speaker dock?

Thanks!

csjo00
Feb 14, 2012, 11:23 AM
The maker says 'don't be taking the case off and on' ,so:

Do you have to remove the case to change SIM cards?

Does the Phone with case fit most external speaker devices, ie, is the rubber extension at the bottom too thick to engage the connector on a Logitech or Bose or similar speaker dock?

Thanks!

Yes.

No. It has an additional half inch or so on the bottom of the phone. Dunno about the speaker docks, as I don't own one.

AriX
Feb 14, 2012, 03:47 PM
AriX, you cracked me up there!

Do you know what a Faraday Cage is? Do you know why you lose satellite signal when thick clouds are overhead? Do you know what is considered the best electrical ground on earth?

Who am I kidding, of course you don't. Because if you knew the answer to any of those questions, you would not actually believe that a cell signal could propagate through more than a few millimeters of water.

Have you ever been in a concrete building and in the innermost rooms and halls, where there are no outer doors or windows, lost your signal? That happens because the concrete and steel in the walls keeps the signal from getting to your phone.

Same thing with this case. You are not shorting the antenna because the plastic is protecting it. What you are doing however is putting it inside a substance through which radio signals cannot pass. This is why submarines communicate submerged with ELF signals and have to surface, or extend a periscope antenna out of the water, for high speed data.

As much as I respect and admire Apple and it's products, the laws of physics are not going to change for them in their 30+ years of existence any more than they changed for the 236 years of the US Navy.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but that just hit a chord with me...

Well, I feel dumb now! Thank you for correcting my obviously completely incorrect intuitions. These are the things I will probably be finding out about soon in my physics class.

Markus...
Feb 15, 2012, 04:30 PM
I bought this last week thinking it was the answer to keeping my phone safe from water damage while I'm out on the water. When I opened the box I was disappointed to see two pieces of plastic with one having a O ring around it, the other side having a thin plastic screen.
I tested it in water and it worked fine. I then put my phone in it, started useing it but soon found all the calls I made to home phones people said they were hearing their voice echo. I have read else where that "Life Proof" will send you a replacement top half.
I am returning this case.

Mikesus
Feb 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
I bit.

First case from Best Buy was a bust. (possibly a return?) Package said 4 and didn't reference the 4s. The back was warped and didn't fit right, and couldn't fit my charging cord.

The replacement had 4s on the box and the membrane is a much tighter fit to the front (no pillowing) Made a couple of calls and no complaints on sound. This one is a keeper!

Mikesus
Feb 15, 2012, 07:32 PM

Probably taking underwater video too :D

JMies419
Feb 15, 2012, 10:36 PM
A friend of mine has the white Life Proof. Fit and performance of the case is top notch. No issues with calls or sound, no leaking, no problems at all. I am seriously thinking of getting a black one for my 4s. Awesome case!

Mikesus
Feb 16, 2012, 08:36 AM
A friend of mine has the white Life Proof. Fit and performance of the case is top notch. No issues with calls or sound, no leaking, no problems at all. I am seriously thinking of getting a black one for my 4s. Awesome case!

Make sure you get the one that has the packaging that says 4 & 4s. The one that says 4 is the older packaging and I had issues with it...

borgqueenx
Feb 16, 2012, 01:03 PM
just grab the "drycase". vacuum seal so you have proof it works. if no air comes in, water also cant come in. works like a charm and i really like the proof before submerging it.

JMies419
Feb 17, 2012, 04:58 PM
Make sure you get the one that has the packaging that says 4 & 4s. The one that says 4 is the older packaging and I had issues with it...

Good point, there has been a revision or two to this case. Make sure the one you are getting if the NEWEST one if you purchase.

Ravel36
Feb 19, 2012, 10:08 PM
I have this case on my phone and it is definitely waterproof. I have dropped it at least once, and there was no damage to my iPhone. It is a bit expensive but I think it is worth it.

hassiman
Feb 20, 2012, 02:31 AM
2 months in and not one single problem. Best case I have EVER used on an iPhone. Period! :D

n2deep
Apr 3, 2012, 10:43 PM
I just purchased this case. I hope it works!!! :D

TomJ8392
Apr 8, 2012, 09:30 PM
Bought 3 life proof cases for the 3 iPhone's in my family. Watched the videos, did the waterproof test, all went well. My daughter dropped her 4s from her pocket to the floor. No force, just a drop. WE HAVE A CRACKED IPHONE!!! I'm very disappointed in this product and will contact customer service, but if their service is anything like their product, I don't expect much. Don't waste your money!

Hyper-X
Apr 8, 2012, 10:02 PM
I'm one of those who constantly shop for gadgets and accessories for my devices and I own at least 6 different cases for my 4S including a Lifeproof case and the belt holster. Before I go any further I feel that my Otterbox Defender is a better general purpose case than the LP case however...

First I didn't expect the LP case to be so thin, I was looking inside the box to see if there was something else that was supposed to go around the outside. Next after I assembled the case, I didn't particularly take well to the lump near the earpiece, makes the face look deformed somewhat, then using the case for a bit, I didn't like the feel of the paddle for the MUTE switch.

What I did like is how they packaged an adapter, extra heaphone plug and the dock connector port is really cool, better than those silicon flaps Otterbox and other cases use.

After using it for a bit, I came to the notion that this is a purpose-bulit case, best used in environments in which it can provide the user the best of what it offers depending on how the user uses their iPhone. The LP case (at least heard by the person on the other side) doesn't sound as good as when I'm using the Defender. Then playing music and such through the iPhone speaker sounds muffled until you open the dock port. I use the MUTE switch a lot during briefings.

I do switch out cases for when I go to the beach and hiking where my phone might be subjected to "greater than usual" hazards which normally doesn't take place during my daily routine then switch back to my Defender for daily use.

kayakguy
Jun 11, 2012, 11:07 AM
I bought the life proof case as soon as they were available at Best Buy. I couldnt wait til it got warm enough so me and the family could go swimming. We went to Destin Florida and had both our iPhone 4s in the lifeproof case. The case worked great. We were able to take pics underwater with the volume button and record video. I fell in love with the case. I even dropped it in my fish tank accidentally and still no water damage. But then it happened. We went to Blue Bayou waterpark. I was taking pics all day. Recording video all day. And at the very last minute of our day as we were leaving I decided to take one last pic. Took my phone out of my pocket and then i saw the water rolling down on the other side of the screen protector. My heart dropped. I immediately took the phone out of the case. My headphone jack was full pf water and my charger port had water in it also. But the phone was still on. I turned it off. a few seconds later my led started flashing like crazy. I got as much water out as i could and the sat it in some DampRid for about 4 days. The phone still isnt coming on. Oh and the water got in through the ear peace; the part you put up to your ear. So im guessing after being submered under water while swimming the pressure maybe forced its way through the adhesive. Great case for drops and maybe water splashes but not for swimming underwater. And it was only between 5 and 6 feet of water.:mad:

jlgolson
Jun 11, 2012, 11:41 PM
We went to Blue Bayou waterpark. I was taking pics all day. Recording video all day.
Were you using it on water slides and the like? I wonder if the force of going down slides or in a wave pool or something like that forced water in through the earpiece...

kayakguy
Jun 12, 2012, 06:43 AM
I was going down slides and in the wave pool but the phone was in my front pocket. Idk maybe that did contribute. But I did a water test in a bowl last night and water seeped in again.

Shellbo6901
Aug 28, 2012, 02:07 PM
anyone have a comparison between this and the Drisuit(http://www.mydrisuit.com/)?

dflowerz
Nov 26, 2012, 01:58 PM
I recently got the new one for the iPhone5. Very similar to the old ones. I do not go underwater with mine. I just want rain protection, so have never done the underwater test prior to using the case. Amazing how I have gotten used to having this case. I went a couple of months without it after getting the iPhone 5 and was having to go back to the plastic bag and worry technique!

Selim B
Jan 22, 2013, 01:08 PM
DryCase is completely waterproof and you will be able to take pictures/videos underwater thanks to the crystal clear pouch without any risk for your phone and you will still be able to use the screen. The case can be used for swimming, surfing and any other kind of outdoors activities, so no risk even though you’re in the wave pool or on a slide.

You can find DryCase at: www.drycase.com