PDA

View Full Version : How to find old (iOS 3.x) apps?

umiwangu
Feb 9, 2012, 02:44 PM
I have a friend with an original iPhone, and I think she has 3.1.3. She keeps getting update notices for her apps, and once she updates them, they report that they only work with iOS 4 or higher.

Any repo or website where I can find genuine versions of v3 apps? I don't want them cracked in anyway (the iPhone is jailbroken though), just older versions...

Thanks!

SWLinPHX
Feb 9, 2012, 04:22 PM
Yes, I have a 1st gen iPod touch and when I restored a couple apps were not backed up to iTunes and suddenly I see they updated them not to work before iOS 4.0 or later! I just need the original versions that were out a few months ago. There must be a way to get these? If people have them backed up on their iTunes can't they just share these relatively small 5 - 30MB files??? :(

SWLinPHX
Feb 9, 2012, 04:38 PM
Man I need to know this too! Two of my iOS 3.1.3-compatible apps were not backed up and now I can't use them because the newest ones need iOS 4.x or higher! :(

umiwangu
Feb 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
Man I need to know this too! Two of my iOS 3.1.3-compatible apps were not backed up and now I can't use them because the newest ones need iOS 4.x or higher! :(

I guess it makes sense for Apple not to make them available, because it forces you to upgrade your software (and therefore your hardware).

I'm going to do some searching on Google to see what I can find.

S

SWLinPHX
Feb 10, 2012, 03:26 AM
I searched Google a long time but all I could find were solutions to retrieve backups from the iTunes "Mobile Applications" folder (which luckily I did from the trash when I mistakenly updated a few apps within iTunes that were only for iOS 4.0+. After that I made sure to check the compatibility of each app before downloading the update in iTunes (if you do it on your device they can tell what iOS you're running and it shouldn't update it if not compatible). Unfortunately, I had just gone a long time without syncing so these two apps never got added to iTunes at all (I downloaded them directly from my iPod touch).

Some suggested writing the developer but others said they can't release them directly to users as per Apple's agreement. Why do older versions of most computer software reside online (even Apple's) but I can't find a mobile app version that was just the latest a couple months ago? I even searched P2P file sharing and torrent sites. Let me know if you fare any better. :rolleyes:

umiwangu
Feb 10, 2012, 04:30 AM
I searched Google a long time but all I could find were solutions to retrieve backups from the iTunes "Mobile Applications" folder (which luckily I did from the trash when I mistakenly updated a few apps within iTunes that were only for iOS 4.0+. After that I made sure to check the compatibility of each app before downloading the update in iTunes (if you do it on your device they can tell what iOS you're running and it shouldn't update it if not compatible). Unfortunately, I had just gone a long time without syncing so these two apps never got added to iTunes at all (I downloaded them directly from my iPod touch).

Some suggested writing the developer but others said they can't release them directly to users as per Apple's agreement. Why do older versions of most computer software reside online (even Apple's) but I can't find a mobile app version that was just the latest a couple months ago? I even searched P2P file sharing and torrent sites. Let me know if you fare any better. :rolleyes:

Yeah... I did find one torrent that said it had a lot of v3 apps, but they were not very common ones. And I don't think there were many seeders.

I really have no idea what to do. Maybe one way would be to search for the file name of the app. The only danger is that if you download it from a non-Apple source, you really have no idea what's in there.

robbieduncan
Feb 10, 2012, 04:48 AM
Mod Note: this is straying dangerously towards discussion of piracy. I'd suggest you stay away from discussion downloading apps via torrent...

SWLinPHX
Feb 10, 2012, 05:13 AM
Torrents in and of themselves aren't illegal, just stealing with them. We are talking about free apps (at least I am) and the previous version that can't be found anywhere else. This has nothing to do with circumventing payment or trying to find cracked or pirated copies whatsoever. We are discussing any way at all to find a simple version that is only one revision old and can't seem to find it anywhere. The discussion itself is not about anything illegal or dishonest.

Anyway, again: I can't believe we can't find a single copy of any app that is just the previous revision, maybe just a couple months old. That's never the case with computer apps.

robbieduncan
Feb 10, 2012, 05:19 AM
Torrents in and of themselves aren't illegal, just stealing with them. We are talking about free apps (at least I am) and the previous version that can't be found anywhere else. This has nothing to do with circumventing payment or trying to find cracked or pirated copies whatsoever. We are discussing any way at all to find a simple version that is only one revision old and can't seem to find it anywhere. The discussion itself is not about anything illegal or dishonest.

Free or paid this is still copyright infringement and 100% illegal. The copyright holder has not permitted these copies to be made so it's a clear case of infringement. The only legal torrents are those containing non copyright material, material that has it's copyright expired through age or those containing material the copyright holder has explicitly allowed these copies to be made.

As for "cracked or pirated" copies: all torrents must contain these. There is no way to distribute others outside of the app store in large numbers. The only way to distribute non-cracked apps requires the application owner (the copyright holder) to actively participate using the Ad Hoc distribution method.

So in short: I will delete any further posts that mention using torrents to get iOS applications unless concrete proof is posted that the copyright holder has given express permission for this distribution. This is as per the MacRumors rules.

SWLinPHX
Feb 10, 2012, 05:28 AM
I understand what you're saying. All I'm saying is that was not what our discussion was about. It was about how there is no way imaginable to get an app version that was just replaced two months ago. That topic came up as even there you can't. I believe you can see the nature of our discussion was forthright and not about trying to do something illegal. I thought that is what counts. But if you can't even type the word then I guess that is different.

umiwangu
Feb 10, 2012, 06:05 AM
I understand what you're saying. All I'm saying is that was not what our discussion was about. It was about how there is no way imaginable to get an app version that was just replaced two months ago. That topic came up as even there you can't. I believe you can see the nature of our discussion was forthright and not about trying to do something illegal. I thought that is what counts. But if you can't even type the word then I guess that is different.

It's frustrating, but I can see it from his pov. Even though we have legitimate needs, it probably is against the tos to get them outside of the App Store. Unfortunately.

----------

So even though no one has stated this specifically, there is no way to get old versions of apps unless the developer makes them available, and even that might be against Apple's tos's. Once you download a newer version, you're stuck with it (if you don't realise it wasn't compatible).

This is so dumb. :-|

psonice
Feb 10, 2012, 07:33 AM
Indeed, this is a really silly situation. Even if you've legitimately bought an app, if you update it and the update requires a later iOS version than your device supports then the only way to get it back is to pirate it.

From a developers perspective:

- We want to support the majority of our customers, who are almost all on iOS 4 or later. Many new features we want to add to our apps require iOS 4 or even 5, so sometimes we have to drop support for older versions.

- We can't really give out copies of older versions. The only way for us to do that is to register your phone under our developer accounts and make a custom build - which is time consuming, and besides we're only allowed a limited number of registered devices and most of those will be used for testing. It's probably against apple's TOS too.

- We can't easily make old versions available. For a free app, we could release a separate app for the new version and leave the old one, but you'd lose any saved data from the old version when upgrading, and for paid apps it means customers would have to buy the app again.

- Sometimes we can make an app compatible with older iOS versions, by detecting it and removing some of the new features. Not always though - some of my recent apps have been iOS 5 only, and making them support 4 would have been extremely impractical. iOS 3 support would have been impossible. It's worth asking the developer though - sometimes it's only a couple of lines of code, and it's no trouble.

umiwangu
Feb 10, 2012, 08:13 AM
Indeed, this is a really silly situation. Even if you've legitimately bought an app, if you update it and the update requires a later iOS version than your device supports then the only way to get it back is to pirate it.

From a developers perspective:

Yeah, it's just unfortunate.

------------

On another note... I just looked at the links in your sig. Does your app really make that much of a difference? I'm assuming you'd have to hold it pretty still. I sold me 3GS, but when I go back to the US in a couple weeks I'll probably be getting another iPhone and I'll keep these apps in mind.

psonice
Feb 10, 2012, 09:25 AM
On another note... I just looked at the links in your sig. Does your app really make that much of a difference? I'm assuming you'd have to hold it pretty still. I sold me 3GS, but when I go back to the US in a couple weeks I'll probably be getting another iPhone and I'll keep these apps in mind.

They do make a big difference - there's a thread about nightcap particularly here with some good comparison shots (that I didn't take ;)): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1317353

True NightVision goes a lot further by adding software enhancement, but it's more of a 'fun' app and doesn't do full resolution.

And yes, you definitely need to hold the camera still - it depends on conditions, but for night use you're best putting the phone against a solid surface to keep it still, or get a tripod.

mattraehl
Feb 10, 2012, 04:11 PM
So if you're running an app on iOS 3, and an update is put in the store which does not support iOS 3, you still get update notifications? That is pretty bad. And even worse once you've updated theres no way back without jailbreaking?

Apple should provide a way for developers to keep a "legacy" version of their app in the store to present to users of legacy devices, and should also not notify users about incompatible updates.

Speaking practically, I guess it means that if you are on a legacy OS you need to check the app requirements before downloading updates as a precaution.

jamewhite86
Feb 10, 2012, 10:08 PM
Apple are no longer accepting apps with deployment targets earlier than 3.1; it's likely they'd have been requiring 4.0 by now but for the desire to allow developers to support the iPad's iOS 3.2 in universal apps, given that the iPad wasn't upgraded to iOS 4 for quite a while.Thanks for sharing the information.

pre
Feb 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
Not about finding iOS 3 apps, but about restoring them if you downloaded an update unintentionally. Maybe it helps someone.

If you use Time Machine on your Mac, your iOS apps in iTunes are by default backed up.
So if there is a new update requiring OS 4+, which you unfortunately downloaded on your device, then you can simple restore the old version from the Time Machine back up and sync it back to your iPhone.

(Never tried it, but I am pretty sure this works).

umiwangu
Feb 26, 2012, 11:19 PM
Doesn't help with a Windows machine. :_)

Not about finding iOS 3 apps, but about restoring them if you downloaded an update unintentionally. Maybe it helps someone.

If you use Time Machine on your Mac, your iOS apps in iTunes are by default backed up.
So if there is a new update requiring OS 4+, which you unfortunately downloaded on your device, then you can simple restore the old version from the Time Machine back up and sync it back to your iPhone.

(Never tried it, but I am pretty sure this works).

SWLinPHX
Feb 27, 2012, 03:26 AM

Yes, that's what I did with a few, and the rest I double-checked what the minimum system requirements were before updating. Obviously iTunes tells you to update whenever there's any new version available, but your device knows what version iOS you're using so that is usually not an issue when updating directly from the device. My problem is there are still two that I hadn't synched with iTunes before I had to wipe my device (long story) and all I need is those two which were just replaced within a couple months.

Apple should provide a way for developers to keep a "legacy" version of their app in the store to present to users of legacy devices, and should also not notify users about incompatible updates.

Yes, could someone please tell me why it's simple and perfectly fine to get the previous version (or even versions several years old) of Mac OS (or Windows) apps on many Apple and third party software update sites (VersionTracker, MacUpdater, etc.) yet the second the new one comes out the previous (and all previous) one is immediately unretrievable and nowhere to be found on the Internet at all, even by file sharing? How is this even an issue for free apps for iOS when it is no issue at all for Mac OS? I can see no legitimate reason for this. I am not asking for the new updated versions to work with iOS 3.1, just to keep and stay with the one I had that I was perfectly happy with. :confused:

davorp
Jul 26, 2012, 02:26 AM
I have the same problem with my iPod touch iOS 3.1.3. All I know that my next phone / tablet will be Android, and I am an Apple fanboy

umiwangu
Jul 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
I am not asking for the new updated versions to work with iOS 3.1, just to keep and stay with the one I had that I was perfectly happy with. :confused:

Exactly.

entitymike
Jul 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
I have older iPhone legacy apps backed up onto an external hard drive. Multiple versions of the apps that I had installed. Are you able to list the apps and versions that you're looking for? I had a first generation 8GB iPhone for four years and now an iPhone 4.

~M

aziatiklover
Jul 30, 2012, 10:39 AM
Only apps that I could saved for my original iphone were whatsapp, emoj, and viber! Fb, yahoo messenger and others no longer work I think. :(

SWLinPHX
Jul 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
I have older iPhone legacy apps backed up onto an external hard drive. Multiple versions of the apps that I had installed. Are you able to list the apps and versions that you're looking for?

Do you happen to have the app for the Samsung remote control (that works with all their smart HDTV's and home theater systems)?

Tubamajuba
Jul 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
Yes, could someone please tell me why it's simple and perfectly fine to get the previous version (or even versions several years old) of Mac OS (or Windows) apps on many Apple and third party software update sites (VersionTracker, MacUpdater, etc.) yet the second the new one comes out the previous (and all previous) one is immediately unretrievable and nowhere to be found on the Internet at all, even by file sharing? How is this even an issue for free apps for iOS when it is no issue at all for Mac OS? I can see no legitimate reason for this. I am not asking for the new updated versions to work with iOS 3.1, just to keep and stay with the one I had that I was perfectly happy with. :confused:

Software distribution for Mac OS and Windows is simply a matter of downloading the necessary files and going from there.

iOS uses only the App Store for software distribution, and every app must be signed by Apple for use on your specific Apple ID. This system is in place to prevent piracy. As far as I know, you can't simply download the IPA files and drag them into iTunes.

In the end, it is probably a better use of your time to invest in a newer iOS device if you don't already have one- much less hassle, more and better apps, and you'll see a massive performance increase.

SWLinPHX
Jul 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
As far as I know, you can't simply download the IPA files and drag them into iTunes.

What do you mean? The iOS apps are just single app files that can be easily moved, copied and duplicated and put into the Home/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications folder. Once it's in there it appears just fine in iTunes and can be copied, synced, etc. to your iOS device. It's actually much easier, smaller and simpler than any Windows or Mac OS app. And as far as actual computer operating system software, those two can only be officially downloaded or purchased from Apple or Microsoft too. Also, unlike those, these iOS apps are very cheap or even free!

...I still don't get it, sorry.

dukebound85
Jul 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
What do you mean? The iOS apps are just single app files that can be easily moved, copied and duplicated and put into the Home/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications folder. Once it's in there it appears just fine in iTunes and can be copied, synced, etc. to your iOS device. It's actually much easier, smaller and simpler than any Windows or Mac OS app. And as far as actually computer operating system software, those two can only be officially downloaded or purchased from Apple or Microsoft too. Also, unlike those, these iOS apps are very cheap or even free!

...I still don't get it, sorry.

You can't just download an ipa file and sync it if it is not tied to your apple id...

umiwangu
Jul 31, 2012, 08:48 AM
You can't just download an ipa file and sync it if it is not tied to your apple id...

What if you already "owned"/downloaded the app? Is the ipa file itself tied to your account?

robbieduncan
Jul 31, 2012, 09:26 AM
What if you already "owned"/downloaded the app? Is the ipa file itself tied to your account?

The one you downloaded from the store is, yes.

umiwangu
Jul 31, 2012, 10:00 AM
The one you downloaded from the store is, yes.

That makes sense. It's still a bit of a bummer.

quickreply1
Aug 7, 2012, 04:33 AM
it seems that you've got older versions of iPhone apps?

surprise, there isn't a way for me to send you a private message here, so how can I reach you? I'm looking for only 1 or two old apps but surprise Apple, the iTunes world, is a closed loop system and hunting down these apps is like trying to find gold. and people wonder why Windows is such an open system? sure looks bad, too many hands in the pot, but at least it is open. ;)))))

i'm only looking for Shazam, facebook and linked in. Personally I only use my iphone for phone, messaging, and a few tings and i LOVE the design of the iPhone 1, that is why I keep it, but to not even be able to use these Apps. nooooooooo. ;)

you can reach me @ howmuchfun2002@yahoo.com so send me a message. I'd love to get these apps from you if I can.

thanks in advance

flowney
Aug 18, 2012, 03:03 PM
Because *.ipa files are "married" to your system by Apple's signing scheme, you'll need to find the older app that was issued to you. This applies even to free apps. If you have a clone or other backup, take a look there. If you have Time Machine backup, go to ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications/ and start digging.

If you find what you are looking for then I suppose a Restore followed by synching will do the trick but I have not actually attempted this. Please post yur experience if you try this out.

sites
Aug 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks Apple. I can't even use my old iPhone like I used to. You've practically neutered my device. You have bricked my perfectly functional iPhone that I have saved & taken great care of just so I could have it on my living room table for convenient browsing & such. You, Apple, can kiss my $$ goodbye. I will turn every client away from your products in favor of Linux & Winderz. F YOU APPLE

umiwangu
Aug 19, 2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks Apple. I can't even use my old iPhone like I used to. You've practically neutered my device. You have bricked my perfectly functional iPhone that I have saved & taken great care of just so I could have it on my living room table for convenient browsing & such. You, Apple, can kiss my $$ goodbye. I will turn every client away from your products in favor of Linux & Winderz. F YOU APPLE

I don't think Apple's app policy needs to elicit an attitude like this. It is a disappointment that they make it very difficult to keep older apps, but in the end the user decides whether or not to upgrade (granted, some apps force you to upgrade, but that blame rests on the developers).

Like some have suggested, you can restore the older versions of apps. This isn't ideal, but it can help the situation.

Look at the (slightly) bright side: you have an iPod with a touch screen, email, and browser.

irDigital0l
Aug 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
when you click on an app in the app store on itunes, under the icon it it will tell you what version it supports

ianxthomson
Aug 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
I don't think Apple's app policy needs to elicit an attitude like this. It is a disappointment that they make it very difficult to keep older apps, but in the end the user decides whether or not to upgrade...

Yes it does (I too think in 4-letter terms about this but I don't have to share that with you) and no he doesn't (decide to "upgrade"). The trouble is that Apple's relentless Money Machine and RDF have many people salivating over the latest model, and the way App developers can make most money is by selling more apps to owners of shiny new iThings. Therefore they selfishly serve only new models and I can understand that - maximum return on their investment. The trouble is that iPods are not iPhones. The latter are usually on a massively subsidised contract and the operator will let you "upgrade" for "free" after a couple of years - and keep paying the huge monthly bills. That is if the clumsy owner hasn't dropped and smashed his iThing already and had to buy a new one. Or it hasn't broken down because let's face it, they can be pretty unreliable.

Apple could make the most recent IOS3 version of apps available, but it's not going to make them much money so they don't bother.

That leaves me with a well looked after iPod Touch 1st gen that I can't install so much as a weather app on now. For "upgrade" I read "throw away a fully functioning machine that I only bought a few years ago".

Think about this: If you had bought Car3.0 and a couple of years later they brought out Petrol4.0 which did not work in Car3.0, and you soon found that hardly any petrol stations sold Petrol3.0, and all you could do with your car (that only has 40k miles on the clock and has never been crashed) is sit in it and listen to the radio, you'd be fairly p****d off would you not?

netsurfz
Oct 3, 2012, 01:14 AM
Bump. Looking for Facebook, Skype, LINE, and 'Remote'

umiwangu
Oct 3, 2012, 08:07 AM
Bump. Looking for Facebook, Skype, LINE, and 'Remote'

As several have said on here, each app file (ipa file) is tied to your specific iTunes account. So even if we could give you a copy of the app (of which I have none), it wouldn't work anyway. Or at least that what it looks like.

SWLinPHX
Oct 3, 2012, 08:21 AM
None of this would be an issue to begin with if some apps didn't tell you there was a new update and allow the device to download and install it when it is not compatible with the iOS version the device is running. I see that quite frequently and then you're out of luck if you sync before realizing it. :mad:

blueroom
Oct 3, 2012, 08:25 AM

Apple makes money on folks that buy new products.

SWLinPHX
Oct 3, 2012, 08:33 AM
To be fair it's not Apple's apps that do that, it's some third-party developers who don't code their updates not to install on devices running an earlier version of iOS than their update can accommodate.

jimates
Oct 21, 2012, 03:07 AM
Because *.ipa files are "married" to your system by Apple's signing scheme, you'll need to find the older app that was issued to you. This applies even to free apps. If you have a clone or other backup, take a look there. If you have Time Machine backup, go to ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications/ and start digging.

If you find what you are looking for then I suppose a Restore followed by synching will do the trick but I have not actually attempted this. Please post yur experience if you try this out.

The app is tied to an Apple account, not to your system. You can put anyones app on your device and it will work fine. When the app needs updated and you attempt to update it, it will then communicate with Apple and require the proper id for upgrade. Upgrading will not be a problem in this situation.

I just restored my daughters 1st gen iPod touch. Wish I had left everything on it. In my itunes library I have 128 apps that have updates pending. I will back up my apps and hold them without updating.

I will compile a list for those interested.

I also rejailbroke it and installed that app I can't mention. I had to do a work around since the older version of that app is not available. I had to use iFunBox to put the deb file on the device and then use iFile to install the deb file.

Menneisyys2
Oct 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
The app is tied to an Apple account, not to your system. You can put anyones app on your device and it will work fine. When the app needs updated and you attempt to update it, it will then communicate with Apple and require the proper id for upgrade. Upgrading will not be a problem in this situation.

I just restored my daughters 1st gen iPod touch. Wish I had left everything on it. In my itunes library I have 128 apps that have updates pending. I will back up my apps and hold them without updating.

I will compile a list for those interested.

I also rejailbroke it and installed that app I can't mention. I had to do a work around since the older version of that app is not available. I had to use iFunBox to put the deb file on the device and then use iFile to install the deb file.

Yup, no future upgrades will be compatible with anything under 4.3 - that is, not even with the 2nd-gen models.

umiwangu
Oct 21, 2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

umiwangu
Nov 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Yes! Found this workaround to the shameful iTunes lack of IOS compatibility filter by user pc1234 posted here (with extra iTunes Google Site Search tips): https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4216766?start=0&tstart=0

Basically you do a site search using Google to search iTunes. For example copy this entire line and paste it in your Google search box:

site:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ "Requires iOS 3.1" game spanish -"$0.99" -"$1.99" -"$2.99" -"$4.99"

Or click this link: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&noj=1&q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fapp%2F+%22Requires+iOS+3.1%22+game+spanish+-%22%240.99%22+-%22%241.99%22+-%22%242.99%22+-%22%244.99%22&oq=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fitunes.apple.com%2Fus%2Fapp%2F+%22Requires+iOS+3.1%22+game+spanish+-%22%240.99%22+-%22%241.99%22+-%22%242.99%22+-%22%244.99%22&gs_l=serp.12...9360.16061.0.19636.15.14.0.0.0.0.324.1598.3-5.5.0.les%3Bcqn%2Ccconf%3D1-2%2Cmin_length%3D2%2Crate_low%3D0-035%2Crate_high%3D0-035%2Csecond_pass%3Dfalse%2Cnum_suggestions%3D2%2Cignore_bad_origquery%3Dtrue%2Conetoken%3Dfalse..0. 0...1c.1.TfPWbT3VHz0

And it will return results for free games that support Spanish and IOS 3.1 and higher. ;)

Ironic isn't it to use Android's mother ship to efficiently search Apple's iTunes. :eek: :apple: :eek: :apple: :p

And obviously we can change the search terms to find different apps, as long as that "requires 3.0.1" tag stays in there...

Tubamajuba
Nov 22, 2012, 11:28 AM
:rolleyes: I signed up just to reply to this argument.

That's exactly what Apple wants you to do. And don't forget the 30% cut they get for each sold apps besides what they make on the hardware.

And what am I supposed to do with a perfectly working iPhone 3G initially sold in 2009? Use it as a paperweight or throw it in the garbage can and contribute to the planet resources depletion? And if you ebay it, somebody else will have the same problem.

I'm baffled by the fact that iTunes removed most of the older IOS 3.x compatible apps even if they were free. Don't tell me that they don't have the bandwidth nor the hardware. They could have both older and newer versions of the apps.

I don't understand why Apple pushed the IOS 4.2.1 on the 3G, it's dog slow and unstable with only around only 20-30 free RAM for running apps.

The IOS 3.1.3 is better but since a couple of days I have been running the Whited00r 5.2.1 custom firmware which is an IOS 3.1.3 optimized on steroid. I was shocked by the snappiness and fluidity compared to 4.2.1. :D

Disabling several features using their built-in Terminal > ./Configurator I now have 58-60MB of free RAM and it flies!

Since Apple does not support the iPhone 3G anymore it's only fair game to hack into it IMO.

I live in Latin America and I know that the poor teen who will receive that iPhone 3G as an xmas gift will be extremely happy... Her mom is a single parent and sells lottery tickets on the street to make a living.

Now if I could find a list of compatible IOS 3.x apps instead of the ridiculously time consuming check of the IOS requirements for each single apps in iTunes as Apple did not bother with adding a simple IOS compatibility filter. :mad:

They are famous for thinking about every tiny details when designing their devices so I'm sure they do the same with the iTunes money machine.

They probably do that to force you to see a bunch of non compatible apps to entice you in buying a newer device. They are THE master of planned obsolescence. :mad:

I understand your point. There are many reasons why you would still use an older iOS device. But there comes a point where Apple and app developers need to let go of past iOS versions and devices and focus on the newer ones. It's not just Apple making their devices obsolete- many newer apps no longer work on older devices or versions of iOS lower than 5.

An iPhone 3G purchased three to four years ago may still work perfectly fine, but it's not nearly powerful enough to run many recent apps at a decent pace, hence why few developers still support devices that old. Attempting to support older devices increases the amount of time that both Apple and third party developers spend on testing, and that means less time spent making quality apps that work on newer devices.

It sucks for people with older devices, but it is what it is- as newer devices offer more power to enable developers, older devices get left behind. If it's any consolation, I envision a day when even three year old iOS devices run the newest apps and versions of iOS at a quick and snappy pace. Just look at the PC market- any computer built within the past five years can do anything that the vast majority of people need it to do. The mobile computing market is still very young- once the market matures and mobile operating systems settle down and focus on refinement rather than new features, being on the cutting edge of CPU and GPU technology will no longer be a requirement to run most of the latest apps. That's just my two cents though, I might be wrong.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck finding apps for your iPhone 3G!

denzaltrueman
Nov 23, 2012, 06:02 AM
Individually I only use my iphone for cellphone, texting, and a few tings and i love the style of the iPhone 1, that is why I keep it, but to not even be able to use these Applications.

Tubamajuba
Nov 23, 2012, 11:45 AM
No luck needed, see my post above to workaround the shameful lack of option to filter searches by IOS compatibility in iTune$.

Basically you just change the keywords "game" or "spanish" to your taste and/or delete some price restrictions (like -"$11.99" for example) in this Google Site Search of iTunes: ****************f6NWn I just downloaded about 30 of them.

Old for a device barely 3 years old is in your head. People were queuing around the block when the iPhone 3G came out. We don't all live in USA where the newest and the latest is a must and we don't all have the coins as sadly many people live hand-to-mouth on this planet. Proof is most of the people I know use prepaid SIM's so they can recharge it with a dollar or so when they have it. Many SMS the cell provider to enable 3G surfing for a day or a week. They have not "always on" unlimited data plans.

Besides we are a bit more relaxed here in Central America so we care a little less if the phone takes a fraction of a second more to open an app. ;) Some don't want to spend a month's worth of wage to buy the latest iPhone. We just wait a couple of years and buy it off you for peanuts on Fleabay.

Some people always buy new cars only and thankfully some others buy them used. The planet would collapse if everybody on Earth had the same level of consumption and garbage producing levels as the Western countries.

It's simply unsustainable and I wonder if there are enough Chinese workers that Foxconn (****************7pp8u) could hire to produce 6,9 billion copies of each new idevices for the entire planet within a reasonable time frame before people got frustrated by no being able to get the newest and latest fast enough... ;)

Whether or not you think the device is old, it's not being supported. Choosing to use the device means dealing with some tradeoffs, which is what you're experiencing now. This is the way the mobile industry works, whether you buy from Apple, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, etc...

You almost seem to have a condescending attitude towards people who buy new gadgets, which is a bit ironic since the demand for the original iPhone is why you have an iPhone 3G to begin with. You choose to wait and buy used gadgets, which also wouldn't happen if people didn't buy the gadgets new in the first place.

You're right, not everybody cares about having newer gadgets, nor is having the latest and greatest gadget of high importance. But the app ecosystems on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone are continually slanted towards supporting the power and functionality of newer devices. You may not want or need such power and functionality from your iPhone 3G, but others do. And those are the people that developers target.

If your iPhone 3G does everything you need, then you should certainly not feel any pressure to buy a new phone! But just keep in mind the way mobile technology is trending.

umiwangu
Nov 25, 2012, 07:00 PM
An iPhone 3G purchased three to four years ago may still work perfectly fine, but it's not nearly powerful enough to run many recent apps at a decent pace, hence why few developers still support devices that old. Attempting to support older devices increases the amount of time that both Apple and third party developers spend on testing, and that means less time spent making quality apps that work on newer devices.

It sucks for people with older devices, but it is what it is- as newer devices offer more power to enable developers, older devices get left behind. If it's any consolation, I envision a day when even three year old iOS devices run the newest apps and versions of iOS at a quick and snappy pace. Just look at the PC market- any computer built within the past five years can do anything that the vast majority of people need it to do. The mobile computing market is still very young- once the market matures and mobile operating systems settle down and focus on refinement rather than new features, being on the cutting edge of CPU and GPU technology will no longer be a requirement to run most of the latest apps. That's just my two cents though, I might be wrong.

I don't think that developers should have to keep compatibility for old devices in new versions of their apps, but if they could continue to offer older versions of the same apps, that would be appreciated.

I do understand some of the reasoning behind developers not doing this though.

spatterfree
Dec 10, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hi all,
i'm hopelessly looking for google voice 1.4.2 for ios 4.2.1 on my second gen touch, how would i install it since the newest is on 1.4.4 aleady?

tdushane
Dec 24, 2012, 09:07 PM
...You may not want or need such power and functionality from your iPhone 3G, but others do. And those are the people that developers target.

If your iPhone 3G does everything you need, then you should certainly not feel any pressure to buy a new phone! But just keep in mind the way mobile technology is trending.

The attitude you state here is unfortunate - reflected recently in Microsoft's ditching the few people who dared to try Win Phone 7 by making a lot of what they'd bought incompatible with Win Phone 8.

My take on it, as I limp along on my iPhone 3GS (which I have kept since I bought it), and as I found this thread because I'm trying to get an app from Samsung so I can control my TV from my cellphone (current app requires latest iOs), is that Apple (and now Microsoft) are in the past.

Remember (only those of you who are at least 40) when many people bought cars every 2 years??? It was the forward looking auto executives who realized that this was not a sustainable purchasing approach for many customers. They started to emphasize durability, safety, etc., knowing that in the short term their sales would decrease. We still have a vestige of this every-2-year practice in leases for the well-to-do, but it's a minority market now.

I, for one, hope Apple and Microsoft try a little more rational model, albeit one that won't make the huge profits they've made in the past, but will be plenty lucrative none the less. And I, for one, think the market in connected devices will mature just as the market for automobiles did.

Your condescending statement about 'that's the way mobile technology is trending' reminds me of what the self-congratulatory auto executives said about the 2-year buying cycle for autos back in the 60s. They hadn't considered that their position was not sustainable in the long run for the majority of their customers.

Because of the sandboxed ultra-tight control (and other factors), the iPhone is not only #2 behind Android worldwide and in the U.S., but #2 behind a specific Android phone, even in the U.S.

drovid
Dec 29, 2012, 02:07 PM
I have older iPhone legacy apps backed up onto an external hard drive. Multiple versions of the apps that I had installed. Are you able to list the apps and versions that you're looking for? I had a first generation 8GB iPhone for four years and now an iPhone 4.

~M

I don't know how to reply but I really want a facebook and instagram on my iPhone. Please help if you can
Thank you in advance
P. S. I added you in contacts

Tubamajuba
Jan 1, 2013, 12:02 PM
The attitude you state here is unfortunate - reflected recently in Microsoft's ditching the few people who dared to try Win Phone 7 by making a lot of what they'd bought incompatible with Win Phone 8.

My take on it, as I limp along on my iPhone 3GS (which I have kept since I bought it), and as I found this thread because I'm trying to get an app from Samsung so I can control my TV from my cellphone (current app requires latest iOs), is that Apple (and now Microsoft) are in the past.

Remember (only those of you who are at least 40) when many people bought cars every 2 years??? It was the forward looking auto executives who realized that this was not a sustainable purchasing approach for many customers. They started to emphasize durability, safety, etc., knowing that in the short term their sales would decrease. We still have a vestige of this every-2-year practice in leases for the well-to-do, but it's a minority market now.

I, for one, hope Apple and Microsoft try a little more rational model, albeit one that won't make the huge profits they've made in the past, but will be plenty lucrative none the less. And I, for one, think the market in connected devices will mature just as the market for automobiles did.

Your condescending statement about 'that's the way mobile technology is trending' reminds me of what the self-congratulatory auto executives said about the 2-year buying cycle for autos back in the 60s. They hadn't considered that their position was not sustainable in the long run for the majority of their customers.

Because of the sandboxed ultra-tight control (and other factors), the iPhone is not only #2 behind Android worldwide and in the U.S., but #2 behind a specific Android phone, even in the U.S.

I agree with you that the rate of "device turnover", if you will, is likely to decrease over time. There once was a time when buying a new computer every two years was also a necessity due to the increasing requirements of operating systems and the software that ran on those operating systems. But around 2007 or so, the rate of software bloat began to slow, and even a computer manufactured in '07 will meet the needs of most people today. It's only a matter of time before a similar phenomenon takes place in the mobile device industry.

Also, I was not trying to come across as condescending when I said "that's the way mobile technology is trending". I was simply stating the reality of the current situation, a reality that is unfortunate and yet likely to change at some point in the future.

Cool Javelin
Jan 4, 2013, 02:42 AM
Here is the real deal.

It's all about greed.

I read somewhere Apple sold some 87 million iPod Touches. Assuming some 25% of them were 3G or older limited to IOS 4.2.1, that is something like 20+ Million devices that are totally useless.

You simply cannot get any apps that will work in these devices.

Time to throw them away and buy new ones.

So, a little math;

20 Million iPods at about $200 each is an astounding 4 BILLION dollars that Apple has simply taken (read stolen) from their customers.

We bought a product that is deliberately, DELIBERATELY made obsolete without any form of compensation.

Now, they want us to purchase a new version of the product.

If you think they won't do the same thing again in a year or so, think again.

Apple is greedy. They want your money for a device, not once, not twice, but as many times as you are willing to part with it.

But, it seems consumers are stupid and will buy a new Apple product in a few years yet again.

Well, not me. Slap me in the face once is all it takes. Time to pawn it.

It is my STRONG recommendation you do NOT purchase an Apple product of any kind.

Go Android, go Windows. As far as I know they haven't obsoleted their older devices.

My 2 cents.

Mark.

P.S. I keep wondering why Apple would make such a poor long term business decision forcing some 20 million people to go through this. Then it occurred to me. They know damn well they are going to get bad press and loose a LOT of customers. They must feel their company can't make it in the long run competing against Google and Microsoft so they are trying to get a lot of short term money, then fold the company and a few people at the top are going to get very rich, just like the bankers.

Meechgalhuquot
Jan 4, 2013, 03:46 PM
After much searching I found this website. http://download.pandaapp.com
There is only one problem. Whenever you download something pop-up sites come up.:D:apple:

Menneisyys2
Jan 4, 2013, 04:37 PM
It's all about greed.

I read somewhere Apple sold some 87 million iPod Touches. Assuming some 25% of them were 3G or older limited to IOS 4.2.1, that is something like 20+ Million devices that are totally useless.

You simply cannot get any apps that will work in these devices.

Time to throw them away and buy new ones.

Absolutely agreed. Apple's greed is a REAL PITA. This is one of the (many) reasons I'm planning to switch to Android for generic, all-day usage and only keep iOS so that I can continue lecturing on its programming and writing articles. The other is being Apple's stubborn sticking - to keep the playback of their iTunes Store much better - with its really idiotic restrictions. For example, not letting devs use video hardware acceleration for h.264 decoding.

You'll also want to add that 2nd-gen iPt's were sold up until Sept/2010 - that is, two years before Apple has totally disabled setting 4.2.1 as a deployment target. Two years - and a perfectly usable and viable model is no longer usable.

Apple, you either stop being THIS greedy or more educated people will all leave you.

Menneisyys2
Jan 4, 2013, 04:56 PM

I think the situation is different.

- when designing / releasing WP7 (up until, say, Summer 2010), MS still didn't know what WP8 would contain.

- WP8 has much higher HW demands than WP7.

The situation with Apple's disabling making one's app compliant with both 3.1.x (1st-gen devices) and 4.2.1 (2nd-gen devices) is because of simple greed. Particularly the 2nd-gen iPt isn't at all slower than, say, the iPhone 3G S and is perfectly usable even with 4.2.1. Raising the minimal deployment target to 4.3 in Sept/2012 can only be explained by Apple's greed as, again, the hardware itself could be able to run all those apps (unlike they require, among other things, OpenGL ES 2.0, more than 256M RAM etc.) and not because of the hardware's absolutely incompatible with the new iOS versions (unlike with MS's case).

Supa-iOS-Boy01
Jan 5, 2013, 02:44 PM
I am on iOS 3.1.2 on iPhone 3G and I do not know wether the app "Mpad Controller" for $0.99 is compatible with my device and I DONT want to buy something I cannot use with
my device. Can't Apple just show what iOS version it uses!

AnonMac50
Jan 5, 2013, 02:54 PM
Don't forget, giving the iPhone 3G and second gen iPod touch iOS 4 support but not giving it to the first gen iPhone and iPod touch. What's more? The iPhone 3G has the SAME hardware as the first gen devices I just mentioned.

umiwangu
Jan 5, 2013, 05:38 PM
I am on iOS 3.1.2 on iPhone 3G and I do not know wether the app "Mpad Controller" for $0.99 is compatible with my device and I DONT want to buy something I cannot use with
my device. Can't Apple just show what iOS version it uses!

Get in touch with the developer and ask them.

hishaks
Jan 18, 2013, 01:51 AM
I guess apple is making a loss for themselves. This is simply dumb. If they only host the latest versions of their apps, which is useless on devices running older versions of IOS, they are losing business. I am not sure who took this decision. This is completely impractical. Simple reason, if someone has an older device, they can't buy compatible apps. They may or may not upgrade to a newer device which means less people are able to buy those apps.

It is very well understandable that the newer devices have much better hardware and thus the latest apps are built keeping in mind their requirement, but why are older versions of apps removed. Their might be people who would still want to buy some apps for the legacy devices. Also, if someone buys a second hand iDevice, they too might be interested in the apps for their old devices.

Some people have suggested that the user should not upgrade the apps if their devices are old in order to make sure that they have all their apps with them. I got an iPod touch 2G and iPhone 5. Now, I wont do justice to my iPhone if I don't upgrade the apps. And if I do, my apps are rendered useless on my iPod. Also, the iTunes does not maintain apps separately for different devices.

Another point I would like to make here is, why is it difficult to design an app store that can host previous versions of an app. They can design in such a way that once a user buys an app, if he downloads any version, he is not charged for that. Apple should keep a history of userIDs associated with apps and not their versions. Or they can design the iTunes software in such a way that it can keep a backup of all the versions that a user has downloaded. Why is that so difficult?

I do understand it might not make business sense to develop new apps for older devices but it makes perfect sense to keep the older version of the app on the app store. While downloading any app, the user can be gives options as to what version they want to download. I think that is perfectly feasible.

The only reason I think Apple is not supporting the older devices is to force customers into buying new ones.

Well, the iPhone cost me a months salary. It costs somewhere around $850 in India, and we don't have the kind of salaries the guys in US get. So, that means, the value of my currency is less, I get paid less and I still have to pay more than the consumer's in US for the same device. And saying that much, I guess it would be understandable that it's not easy for us to buy the new devices every couple of years. In fact, I used my last **** Music phone for 5 years, it even didn't have 3G for that matter. :mad:

And sorry for the long post. :(

Menneisyys2
Jan 18, 2013, 05:10 AM
It is very well understandable that the newer devices have much better hardware and thus the latest apps are built keeping in mind their requirement, but why are older versions of apps removed.

Not necessarily. By today's standards, the iPod touch 2G has a pretty decent hardware and not even the 4.2.1 update (the latest available) did slow it down. (Unlike the iPhone 3G, which is only a bit slower CPU-wise but Apple seemingly has deliberately slowed it completely down so that it becomes completely useless and all iPhone 3G users upgrade to newer hardware.)

Up until Sept/2012 (the release of iOS 6 and making it impossible to release apps targeting iOS versions prior to 4.3), about 50-60% of new games and 95%+ of non-game apps did run on the iPod touch 2G. (Figures are based on my experience as I've been continuously testing new apps on old hardware too.) This means it would run most of new titles w/o problems - the hardware isn't slow at all.

After Sept/2012, almost no (new / updated) apps continued to run on these 1st / 2nd-gen models.

This all means it was simply a business decision on Apple's part not to let devs support 2nd-gen devices, while the hardware would still be able to run new titles.

And all this just two years after stopping selling the 2nd-gen iPT (the 8GB model was sold up until late Sept/2010, up until the introduction of the 4th gen of the iPT.) This is very rude indeed - you purchase an iPT and, after two years, find yourself not being able to run anything on it any more.

sebastian...
Feb 20, 2013, 09:22 PM
I understand your point. There are many reasons why you would still use an older iOS device. But there comes a point where Apple and app developers need to let go of past iOS versions and devices and focus on the newer ones.

You keep repeating this, but what the people here are saying is they don't expect the developers to go to the trouble of maintaining compatibility with older devices.
The only thing requested here - Once a customer bought the FancyApp_1.0.2 with 9.99 $ he should be able to download that app and that version if he chooses even 2 years later.

It should be a Consumer protection law.

And the second thing requested : Let's say someone buys from amazon a used iphone 3gs. A fairly new device. But the iphone was sold clean, without any apps to a fresh new owner who just entered in the apple ecosystem. What should he do ? Probably most of the casual and must-have-apps like yahoo and skype and so on are no longer downloadable.

umiwangu
Feb 21, 2013, 04:20 AM
You keep repeating this, but what the people here are saying is they don't expect the developers to go to the trouble of maintaining compatibility with older devices.
The only thing requested here - Once a customer bought the FancyApp_1.0.2 with 9.99 $ he should be able to download that app and that version if he chooses even 2 years later.

It should be a Consumer protection law.

And the second thing requested : Let's say someone buys from amazon a used iphone 3gs. A fairly new device. But the iphone was sold clean, without any apps to a fresh new owner who just entered in the apple ecosystem. What should he do ? Probably most of the casual and must-have-apps like yahoo and skype and so on are no longer downloadable.

My thoughts exactly, well put.

murchyk
Mar 8, 2013, 05:16 PM
Sorry if this was already mentioned, thread is too long to read.
to get a newer apps to work on your old device heres what you have to do.

1. locate an app in your filesystem, usually an itunes folder with all your apps.
2. rename the IPA to ZIP
3. open the zip folder, locate info.plist
4. open info.plist using a text editor, and in the description where it says minimum IOS change to the IOS of your old device.
for example if its MinimumIOS6.0 change it to MinimumIOS3.0

it works for almost any app, i just came across 2 or 3 out of about 200

enjoy!

Serge.

PS. Nothing illegal here youre just making your product compatible with your device again, which is what you have already paid for and have all the rights to do so.

umiwangu
Mar 10, 2013, 02:39 PM

1. locate an app in your filesystem, usually an itunes folder with all your apps.
2. rename the IPA to ZIP
4. open info.plist using a text editor, and in the description where it says minimum IOS change to the IOS of your old device.

enjoy!

Serge.

PS. Nothing illegal here youre just making your product compatible with your device again, which is what you have already paid for and have all the rights to do so.

Nope, I don't think this was mentioned.

Great!

rak007
Mar 10, 2013, 11:53 PM

2. rename the IPA to ZIP

enjoy!

Serge.

You think i can use Tapatalk 2 on my iPhone 4S with 5.1.1 using this method ? I am sure the Tapatalk 2 requires minimum iOS 6.

Ok so i have this tapatalk 2 IPA with me but when i open the info.plist in some text editor, i get lots of gibberish characters and some english like ones too.
It is not a proper formatted file or anything.

I cannot get this file from my device because the app does not even install on the device because it is only iOS 6 compatible.

Menneisyys2
Mar 11, 2013, 06:02 AM
Ok so i have this tapatalk 2 IPA with me but when i open the info.plist in some text editor

You're using Windows, I take it. Use plist Editor for Windows : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/File-Editors/plist-Editor-for-Windows.shtml

rak007
Mar 11, 2013, 06:27 AM
You're using Windows, I take it. Use plist Editor for Windows : http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/File-Editors/plist-Editor-for-Windows.shtml

Trying to install a .IPA with a modified info.plist won't cause any problems with my phone right ? Whats the worst that can happen ?
I do not wish to mess up causing me to restore which i dont want to do since i am on iOS 5.1.1 and don't wish to go to 6.0 for now.

----------

Yes using windows, shall check that tool. Btw i can update the plist in iFile too on the phone itself.

mackerm
Apr 8, 2013, 03:26 AM
Here's a Google search which will find every app in the US iTunes store which is compatible with the iPod Touch 2G or iPhone 3G, and which includes the word "turtle". (You can replace "turtle" with any search term you want).
****************Rm0Tw

Likewise, the following search will find apps in the US iTunes store which are compatible with the original iPhone or original iPod Touch, and which also include the word "turtle" (Again, change "turtle" to anything you want).
****************ExJqs

Note that the results will include apps with specific hardware requirements, like the iPad or iPhone 3GS. Still, this will filter out 95% of apps which are incompatible with the desired iOS devices. I'm wary of adding search elements to filter out undesired hardware, because they might also remove desirable apps.

Austin Karl
Apr 9, 2013, 04:03 AM
Thanks for sharing. iOS 3.x game apps is very old version so upgrade to a newer version at your device. ;)

umiwangu
Apr 9, 2013, 04:05 AM
Thanks for sharing. iOS 3.x game apps is very old version so upgrade to a newer version at your device. ;)

There are many reasons for some people to stay on 3.x, some of which would include speed and jailbreaking/unlocking.

GL-5
Apr 21, 2013, 07:08 PM

2. rename the IPA to ZIP

enjoy!

Serge.

I take it you need a jailbroken phone as I am getting signature errors.

mackerm
Apr 28, 2013, 04:36 PM
Here's a form I made to find apps which are compatible with older iOS devices. (This is really an update to my last post, above.)
https://sites.google.com/site/iossearch/

sebastian...
May 5, 2013, 07:20 AM
Here's a form I made to find apps which are compatible with older iOS devices. (This is really an update to my last post, above.)
https://sites.google.com/site/iossearch/

Interesting. You should add more filters. Like from ios 1 to ios 5 . Or find apps only for ios 6.0 and up - for people curious about the apps using the latest api ... and so on.

Menneisyys2
May 5, 2013, 07:47 AM
Btw i can update the plist in iFile too on the phone itself.

Sure you can.

Solver
May 5, 2013, 11:51 PM
Vintapps has information on a real lot of these old apps. It just hit the app store.

Menneisyys2
May 12, 2013, 09:36 AM
Vintapps has information on a real lot of these old apps. It just hit the app store.

Great find, thanks!

(Wonder if it'll be removed by Apple, just like the other app discovery apps.)

RozN
May 23, 2013, 11:57 AM

2. rename the IPA to ZIP

enjoy!

Serge.

I tried that and it seems it doesn't work. After I change the minimumiOS requirement to 4.2, because I have 4.2.1 I go back to iTunes to sync the apps with me device and it says that the app can't be found. Any suggestions what to do now?

lucid-stu
Jul 17, 2013, 09:11 AM
In a foggy moment I made a similar blunder to the original posters. The only thing I'm really missing for my 1st gen Touch is a Shoutcast internet radio app compatible with iOS 3.1.3

I've tried mackerm's handy search form to find apps that CLAIM to be compatible with ios 3 - they don't grumble on install, but they all crash when I try to open them.

Any suggestions?

Solver
Aug 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
Start with a forced reset. To free up device memory and for quicker, smoother operation, many early iOS device users have learned do a forced reset after their device performances drops markedly.
At the home screen, hold down the Sleep/Wake button on the top of your device and at the same time hold the home button. Keep holding both buttons, ignoring any power off message, until you see the Apple logo, at which point release both buttons. This method will restart your device, but can take many minutes to get back to the unlock screen. For iPhone 3G users, it can help to do this twice.

Make sure you have a least a few hundred MB of available flash memory. You can check in Settings/General for this.*

Also, not every iOS 3 app will work on every iOS 3 device. There are apps, for example, that claim to work on iOS 3.1.3 or later but won't work or even install on an original iPhone, iPod Touch 1, iPhone 3G or iPod Touch 2. However, they will work on a 32GB or 64GB iPod Touch 3 with iOS 3.1.3 installed.
You need to somehow sort out these type of apps. It is easy if you have the tool to do it.

In a foggy moment I made a similar blunder to the original posters. The only thing I'm really missing for my 1st gen Touch is a Shoutcast internet radio app compatible with iOS 3.1.3

I've tried mackerm's handy search form to find apps that CLAIM to be compatible with ios 3 - they don't grumble on install, but they all crash when I try to open them.

Any suggestions?