Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
So, I liked versions. The concept is great, I use it from time to time, but ever since iBooks Author came out, the versions files are destroying my harddrive. Before iBooks Author, the file was a couple hundred MB, something that I can handle. Even adding around 100MB a month would be fine.

I downloaded and started messing with iBooks Author the day it came out. The only file I've really worked on is about 90MB right now, but the file that holds the versions for everything in the computer has ballooned to 4.6 GB. Last week it was only 3.5GB.

I'm not going crazy changing the iBooks Author file. I edit it when I need to and I add Keynotes and only 2 movies (each less than 10MB) so I'm not really sure what's going on here.

Anyone else have this problem and/or know how to fix it without losing the versions of everything else on the computer?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I haven't used Author yet, but one problem I've had with Lion versioning is a relative lack of user control. I'd like to be able to have settings in each application.

That being said, you can manually delete versions. I suspect that something is amiss since the files shouldn't get that big, but you can delete versions. It's hard to know what size they are, however, so you'd have to experiment. Good luck.

Rob

Nanc312

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2005
iBooks Author eating up hard drive space

I am in the same boat here. I started a project several weeks ago and my "interactive" book is up to 599 MB. You can imagine what happens to my hard drive each day! I lose about 10 GB. I can't even run my time capsule anymore because it wants to backup all the hidden files or whatever it is doing. I like the versioning, but I sure want to turn it off or toss some. I'm not sure where to throw the versioning files away. I'll check the Library is the only thing i can think of at this point.

Nanc

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
this happens cause default versioning is a dumb, dumb, dumb idea especially so when it involves large image (or for that matter media) files within the the original "text" file. Example someone toys around with a few images and image sizes, then deletes them, then adds a few more, then chops off a few more, and adds some more, the cummulative size of the versioned file is going to be enormous to accommodate this additions and deletions and the changes involved.

The work around as another user suggests of going in file which you don't know the real size of (the versioned one) then manually deleting some versions of it is hardly acceptable. Just let the user decide for gods sake if they want versions or the occasional save as on a per file basis. This by default versioning on everything creating enormous superfluous data on everything is just idiotic. I don't want to store the progress of each and every file I create, I don't want to keep storing unessecary bytes on my computer all the time, where's the economy of that, where's the elegance? Let alone the privacy issues arising by a file that keeps storing editions and that might be shared without duplication first by others...

Lion is full of half arsed poorly developed ideas and gimmicks, what the hell where they doing between leopard and lion the people who actually had to think new features over, test them and refine them? I don't know the answer, I know what they should be doing now, applying for a benefits or another job...:)

timotay89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
How would I go about deleting certain files without bringing the whole thing crashing down around me? I would like to keep versioning for everything, but just not as often for the stuff from iBooks Author.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
While in the Versions Browsing window you can also delete older versions. To do this select the version that you want to delete and click the disclosure triangle at the top of the toolbar by the file name. You will get an option to Delete that version. If you press the Alt key down at the same time the option changes to Delete Old Versions – which will delete the version that you have selected and all older versions of the file.

Fullscreen-2.png

Above is an extract on using the new Versions - Autosave feature in Lion, which can be found here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.