Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermarky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
what must I be looking for exactly in the way of an enclosure for the drive that will not have a blocked hole in the female data plug, so I can plug it in?

sigh,,,

thanks again

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
what must I be looking for exactly in the way of an enclosure for the drive that will not have a blocked hole in the female data plug, so I can plug it in?

sigh,,,

thanks again

I know what you are asking but have never heard of this problem before.

The way you are asking it is also confusing.

What size hd.

What type hd

What brand enclosure

We are not mind readers here. PHotos would also help.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Sound stupid, but have you tried orientating the drive differently? Some caddys(for some stupid reason) like drives upside-down...

supermarky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
that won't work there needs to be one missing pin, otherwise female plug (again the one with the 2 rows or 28 or so pins - hard to count those things being farsighted) with one hold blocked in the middle can't connect.

I have some other enclosures lying around somewhere maybe... one will have an unblocked hole...

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Well, here is a secret.

I once somehow missed a whole set of Hard drive pins on an ATA hard drive going into a powerbook or ibook or something.

Worked fine.

Pull out the pin or jam it.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Are you sure there is not a header attached to the drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.