PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Programm / Question how complex it is to rename files

docbot
Feb 11, 2012, 06:44 AM
Hey There,

I want to learn how to programm a mac application, simply because I want to develop a program to solve something that I haven't yet been able to with another App.

So I am willing to go down that road, but since I want to write an app, that renames files based on metadata. I was just wondering how complex of a thing that is to do?

Is that a goal I will be able to reach in a few month, or does it requier very deep knowledge of the macs filesystem or whatever.

thanks!

MasConejos
Feb 11, 2012, 07:35 AM
Renaming a file is trivial, and can typically be done in 1-2 lines of code, in any language.

Retrieving the file metadata is going to be a little harder and a little confusing at first, but shouldn't be anything insurmountable.

See this page (https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Carbon/Reference/MetadataAttributesRef/MetadataAttrRef.html) for a listing of all the classes and methods available for fetching and retrieving the filesystem metadata (Objective-C links on left)