PDA

View Full Version : Media Streaming - Apple behind the curve?

inertiat
Feb 11, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hey,

I've been thinking this for a while now and would like to test the water in the Mac community. I'm a Mac/ iPhone user so this isn't a bash, but I am perplexed.

I'm slightly confused as to Apple's current model of the iTunes store of individually purchasing and downloading media. It seems to me that downloading media is on the way out, and streaming it is on the way in. Models like Netlix and Spotify are far better value for money because instead of purchasing each piece of media individually, you pay a fixed monthly cost for unlimited access to their entire media libraries. This saves a load of money, but also the middle-man of waiting for your content to download and having to store it locally.

I don't quite get why Apple is behind on this curve. They have the biggest library of media - music, tv shows, flims - but you have to buy each item individually. Why introduce iCloud as a downloading service that basically just remembers your purchases and lets you download them again? Loads of media providers allow this anyway and it seems kind of redundant nowadays.

iTunes has massive potential to be the be-all-end-all of subscription-based media solutions. Imagine having unlimited access to that massive library on all your devices for one fixed cost - and not having to wait for your shows or movies to download (though that could be an option) because you can stream them instead. No need to worry about how much storage space you have on your iPhone or your Macbook Air's SSD because it's all stored on Apple's servers.

Is anyone else with me on this or am I just stark raving mad? It seems like a good idea, if not a necessary one to me. I just discovered Neftlix in the UK, and while it doesn't have all the shows I want, it seems ridiculous to be spending 20+ per season on iTunes when I can get every season of every show in the Netflix library for 6 a month. The same with Spotify. Surely Apple will fall behind if they don't adopt this kind of model?