Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reispr01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
When I use the Disk Utility to "look" at my SSD, it tells me that I have used 90 GB of the 120 GB available. However, when I look at my programs and other files, and I run a MacKeeper scan of the drive, it appears that I have only used around 10 GB of space.

I cannot imagine how 80 GB of space - more than half of my entire drive capacity, can be used up. Please excuse my ignorance - I just don't know where all that "data" is - or what it is. If I took all the photos and movies and music I have on an external drive and loaded it ALL into my computer, it would not add up to HALF of the 80 GB I am supposedly using.

I can't "see" this dark matter anywhere - it's not in Finder. I can guess there may be some partition on the drive, but I didn't put it there, and I don't know how to look at it, or remove whatever data is there taking up so much space.

Any ideas? Thanks for your assistance.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
I would trust Disk Utility, just checked mine and its correct.
I've never used MacKeeper, so I don't know whats going on there.
Of course you can also check Activity Monitor under Utilities.

reispr01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Well, yes - actually I do trust the disk utility. But how can I see what's taking up all the space? I am absolutely certain I do not actually have 90 GB of data on this machine - so it has to be hidden somewhere I don't know where to see it. How can I look at the disk itself to see where all this data might be?

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Try DaisyDisk from the App store, you just have to wait a few seconds to use it if you don't buy it, has been very useful for me.
I've learned a lot about where Apple stores stuff on the computer from DaisyDisk.

Here is what it looks like.
daisydisk.png

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't know if it would explain 80GB, but I think that Time Machine keeps some backup information on the SSD that can be overwritten if the space is needed. Finder reports the space as available, while Disk Utility reports the space as written.

reispr01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I just downloaded and ran Disk Inventory X on my machine. It's similar to the program noted above, I think. It confirms that there is only 10 GB of data on my SSD.

Could Time Machine use 80 GB of data if I never had that much data on my machine in the first place?

----------

Just looked at the disk on FINDER, as per above...and indeed, it says 10 GB used, 110 AVAILABLE.

So - I'm still confused. I want to use 120 GB of space...I do not want 80 GB of space taken up by anything - not even Time Machine.

How do I get rid of it - completely and forever? I'm not very good at this level of stuff, so if you could be rather specific, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

reispr01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Well - looking at some other posts, I tried something crazy simple. I turned Time Machine off.

ALL of the disk space said to be "gone" is now back. 80+ GB. I have no idea why. I didn't erase anything. I don't know if the data was ever really there, or what it was.

Maybe best not to ask.

:)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Well - looking at some other posts, I tried something crazy simple. I turned Time Machine off.

ALL of the disk space said to be "gone" is now back. 80+ GB. I have no idea why. I didn't erase anything. I don't know if the data was ever really there, or what it was.

Maybe best not to ask.

:)

Time Machine saves some backup data on your local hard drive in addition to your backup drive. Don't worry, your backup drive still has all the backup data. It's just that your local drive has some for simple restoration activities.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Ohhh...I understand now.
That kind of happened to me a while ago when I first tried Time Machine.
I still had it on even tho I didn't have my hard drive connected, and after a while it started to store the backups on the computer itself.
Not sure if thats exactly what happened to you, but reminds me of when that happened to me.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When I use the Disk Utility to "look" at my SSD, it tells me that I have used 90 GB of the 120 GB available. However, when I look at my programs and other files,.... it appears that I have only used around 10 GB of space.
For space issues, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
I run a MacKeeper scan
You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps like MacKeeper to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

My best recommendation is that you uninstall MacKeeper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.