Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antowns

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Hi,

Just got a G4 PowerMac for free from a guy that comes in to work. Looking to upgrade it as part of a project. Any ideas how decent these things can be? I think so far its got 3 128 meg ram sticks in and a 60GB hdd.

I think it was owned by a company so there's been a few upgrades from stock I would assume.

Can you upgrade the processor?

Nova77

May 12, 2011
I don't think you can upgrade the cpu if it's the 400 PCI version (video card is in a PCI slot and there is not AGP slot).

Yes you can but that would be a waste of money IMO (or a waste of time-- very hard to find). There are G4 ZIF upgrades for G3 blue and white, they fit in the G4 PCI graphics. These G4 PCI graphics have a G3 blue and white logic board with a G4 case and G4 CPU.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
They are nice Machines. If its a 400Mhz i'm guess a AGP edtition.

It will take 2gb of Ram, and any IDE Drive, but it has the 128gb limit, so if you want bigger drives you need a PCI IDE controller.
There are CPU upgrades, but they are hard to find and hella pricey.
There are Video Card Upgrades aswell, but again, not really worth it.

They run Tiger great, and i'm using one now as a file server, and before that, i used it for InDesign 1.0 in OS9

Simon

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Yes you can but that would be a waste of money IMO (or a waste of time-- very hard to find). There are G4 ZIF upgrades for G3 blue and white, they fit in the G4 PCI graphics. These G4 PCI graphics have a G3 blue and white logic board with a G4 case and G4 CPU.

I didn't know that, thanks.

Antowns

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009

It will take 2gb of Ram, and any IDE Drive, but it has the 128gb limit, so if you want bigger drives you need a PCI IDE controller.

They run Tiger great, and i'm using one now as a file server, and before that, i used it for InDesign 1.0 in OS9

Simon

Sweet thanks for the info, I'm not at home at the moment so I'm unable to check it but I'm fairly sure its the AGP version as the back is the same as a one I found in a picture.. not positive yet though!

Can it be used as a media server to use with iTunes and Apple TV? Or is there restrictions on the versions of iTunes ect.

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Sweet thanks for the info, I'm not at home at the moment so I'm unable to check it but I'm fairly sure its the AGP version as the back is the same as a one I found in a picture.. not positive yet though!

Can it be used as a media server to use with iTunes and Apple TV? Or is there restrictions on the versions of iTunes ect.

I'm pretty sure you can use it with Itunes/Apple Tv, i don't use either so haven't tried. But i'll check it out and get back to you :)

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Sweet thanks for the info, I'm not at home at the moment so I'm unable to check it but I'm fairly sure its the AGP version as the back is the same as a one I found in a picture.. not positive yet though!.

Dont rely on pictures, ALOT of macs from that era LOOK almost identical, but were far from the same inside....

the ONLY way to know for sure is to open it up & look inside :D

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
To stream to ATV2 you need iTunes 10, which requires 10.5.
I'm pretty sure that ATV1 syncing works on iTunes 9 (runs on 10.4), home sharing definitely does.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

If you can find version 4.0 of iTunes you can stream your library across the internet. 4.0 was the only version that did this. Apple removed it and made it local only with 4.0.1 and up.

It's out there. I used to have it and streamed my music from home to work. The only thing extra you have to do is open router ports.

Last edited:

SimonUK5

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2010
Dont rely on pictures, ALOT of macs from that era LOOK almost identical, but were far from the same inside....

the ONLY way to know for sure is to open it up & look inside :D

This is true!

Or Check the Serial Number(Should be on the back) and look it up online :)

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal

Simon

Well I guess I have a different opinion:

2Gb ram - ok
IDE Drive 128Gb limit that can be overpassed in two ways (just read the faq)
You can buy PCI SATA too or Sata to IDE adapter (Cheaper but slower )
CPU Upgrades - ebay is your friend, I found that prices on ebay.de are about 20eur less than ebay.co.uk, I paid 65eur for 1.2GHz G4 - worth every penny
Video Card Upgrades - learn to flash cards in a pc (it's not hard nor complicaded) buy a 20eur used XFX Geforce 6200 256Mb and have a new experience =)

with 400MHz tiger is so-so, but def. the way to go.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I have a 400ghz single cpu Gigabit Ethernet PM and I've always been surprised how fast it seems on Tiger. It's a nice back up Mac if something goes down or I have to loan a computer out to someone while I fix someone else's. It's definitely useable as-is without spending $$ on upgrades. Don't expect streaming video or playing a lot of games without spending some money or making a few compromises/learning which software/tweaks to use to make things work better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.