Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I still use the Mail.app. I tried the GMail app and just didn't like it. It was about the same as the mobile web interface.

I don't need all the special features of GMail while mobile, so the basic Mail.app works better for me because the text is larger and easier to read and the app is easier to navigate with larger touch areas.

himynameiscody

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
i tried it when i first got my iphone and it seemed like it was hard to use and was messy. i was hoping for just inbox, outbox, deleted, etc. maybe i should give it another shot

Djdan23323

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
Mail.app for me. Until apple allows another app to take per the default functionality (and they won't) it's tough to use another app. You choose to mail anything out of an app or website and your bounced back to mail.app anyway.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
Gmail.app is nice though for push notifications (different alert sound vs. regular mail)

himynameiscody

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
not much battery drain from mail.app? i like the mobile so i could just check it whenever i wanted and not worry about it auto looking for new messages. then again i could just do it manually. anydraw backs to using the mobile site

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I found the mobile site and mobile app to lack responsiveness.

I use mail.app configured for IMAP
Contacts/Calendar configured for Exchange Sync.

I don't use exchange sync for mail, because the lack of editable drafts syncing was frustrating me.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
default Mail app. I use it through exchange though so i can get my calendar synced as well.

The only thing that i didn't like (up till about a month ago when i figured it out) was "deleting" emails just archived the email and put it in Google's All Mail folder. Now Google sync has the option to tell it to move it to trash instead, not sure how long Google sync actually had this around though lol :rolleyes:

So its all good!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Whatever works for you. I prefer the app but my gmail account is barely used for anything and I prefer having it separate. If your preferences don't mirror mine then my feedback really won't matter much. Try using both and see what you prefer. You can poll all you want and still have no idea which is best suited to you.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I use the Mail.app and it works flawlessly on it.
I also have 4 other accounts for business and private and like that Mail.app let me look at any one mail box or all together.
I use a jailbreak hack that lets me set the time on when to look for mail lower then the 15 minutes that Apple allows the phone to do.
I think it's called PushMod.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
I also have 4 other accounts for business and private and like that Mail.app let me look at any one mail box or all together.
I use a jailbreak hack that lets me set the time on when to look for mail lower then the 15 minutes that Apple allows the phone to do.

Doing the same with 4 email addresses. I like viewing one account at a time.

I usually jump on the computer in the morning and the evening and clean up my Gmail account (archive junk, apply labels, set up filters, etc.).

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
default Mail app. I use it through exchange though so i can get my calendar synced as well.

The only thing that i didn't like (up till about a month ago when i figured it out) was "deleting" emails just archived the email and put it in Google's All Mail folder. Now Google sync has the option to tell it to move it to trash instead, not sure how long Google sync actually had this around though lol :rolleyes:

So its all good!

How did you tell Gmail to send deleted items to Trash instead of All Mail?

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
How did you tell Gmail to send deleted items to Trash instead of All Mail?

you go to m.google.com/sync on your phone
sign in
select the sync you have set up with your phone
There is a check box that says "Enable "Delete Email As Trash" for this device"

check it, hit save and you're good to go

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
sign in

Great find. Thanks for this.

Haven't used the Gmail app since it came out. Is it still allowing just one account to log in?

qtaran111

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
sign in

Dude thanks so much for this! Google don't seem to mention this anywhere.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI

What is this hack called?

and does anyone know how to get mail that you have forwarded to labels to come across in banner alerts like all the other mail does in the inbox?

I just all the IMAP settings and nothing I can do make them show up on my phone.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I was using Gmail exchange using the stock mail.app, but IMO it is garbage, it says you have 2 items in the trash even after you refresh it, I thought push was supposed to be better. With IMAP, I never had that issue. The point of exchange is so it's instantaneous.

Anyways, back to using the stock IMAP Gmail with the stock mail.app :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.