Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I currently do not move my macbook much, I was thinking I could just pop it in when I need it to save the battery some wear and tear. Bad idea?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I currently do not move my macbook much, I was thinking I could just pop it in when I need it to save the battery some wear and tear. Bad idea?
Yes, bad idea.

Also, it is not recommended to run your Mac on the AC adaptor with the battery out (Of course, this only applies to removable batteries).
If the battery is removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the computer will automatically reduce the processor speed. This prevents the computer from shutting down if it demands more power than the A/C adaptor alone can provide.
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Nov 28, 2010
located
But aren't both laptops? Just because it has a half bitten apple on it does not mean it is not the same.

Apple uses different technologies to get the most out of the battery and have it more integrated than most non-Apple laptops.

Apple designs the hard- and software, thus it is very safe to assume, they know, what they are talking about, when it is pertaining their own computers.

And as the MagSafe adapter can get loose much quicker than a standard laptop power connector, what happens, if you accidentally remove the power and no battery is inside the Mac?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But aren't both laptops? Just because it has a half bitten apple on it does not mean it is not the same.
simsaladimbamba is absolutely right, of course. Also, read the links I provided, which fully explains why this shouldn't be done with an Apple notebook, regardless of what you may do with other notebooks. Not all laptops are identical in technology employed.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

First troll I've ever seen here. I have a windows laptop as well but only the enlightened can see the benefit of both OSes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.