Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
The only other 'all in one' flat screen computers by our friends at IBM and Gateway.
http://commerce.[url]www.ibm.com/product_images/psg/840/en_US/627411U.gif[/url]
and
profile3cx_pd.jpg

One word:
YUCK!

God those things are hideous!! The only one with a little style is the IBM one, but there is also a disclaimer on their site saying that the 'monitor may be different than the one shown.' I thought that was interesting. Yeah, so you order the flast screen monitor and get a CRT tube instead....

Regardless, they also dont have many of the features that the iMac has-for example the Gateway model doesnt have a CD burner, etc. The make the iMac look VERY appealing. Also, do you notice that PC websites NEVER give you large, high res photos of their products? Its like they arent proud of them or something...

Okay, so that was like 113 words.

PS: Hey Administrators--why is IMG code turned off all the time? Can we turn it on when posting a new thread? I know it takes longer for the page to load, but individual users can choose to shut that feature off in their preferences?! c'mon! I hate clicking links to see a pic!

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Re: iMac Alternatives

Originally posted by agreenster
The only other 'all in one' flat screen computers by our friends at IBM and Gateway.
http://commerce.[url]www.ibm.com/product_images/psg/840/en_US/627411U.gif[/url][/url]
and
profile3cx_pd.jpg

One word:
YUCK!

God those things are hideous!! The only one with a little style is the IBM one, but there is also a disclaimer on their site saying that the 'monitor may be different than the one shown.' I thought that was interesting. Yeah, so you order the flast screen monitor and get a CRT tube instead....

Regardless, they also dont have many of the features that the iMac has-for example the Gateway model doesnt have a CD burner, etc. The make the iMac look VERY appealing. Also, do you notice that PC websites NEVER give you large, high res photos of their products? Its like they arent proud of them or something...

Okay, so that was like 113 words.

PS: Hey Administrators--why is IMG code turned off all the time? Can we turn it on when posting a new thread? I know it takes longer for the page to load, but individual users can choose to shut that feature off in their preferences?! c'mon! I hate clicking links to see a pic!

NICE RESEARCH!

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
iMac would have...

looked like the Gateway if Jobs hadn't taken that walk through his wife's garden like it says in the Time article. I beleive that a flat screen with all the components packed on the back was the first design and that it was changed at the last minute, as is Jobs' style.

edit=spelling

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Jobs' Keynote explaination of the new iMac was great - lop off the back and there you have it, the new LCD iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.