Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alcap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Hey there,
I'm pretty new to the mac world, but I got really frustrated today. A friend of mine asked me to copy some songs over to his USB stick, and I was used to going over to the file browser and looking for them there... I had a huge folder containing a particular genre of music that had all my albums from that genre. When I looked into the directory, it was organized by artist. I had allowed iTunes to do this, at the time I thought he would do that, but keep existing folders...
My question is, is it possible to import/copy music from itunes to a USB stick or other medium while keeping the album information? For example, if I want to copy 3 albums from an artist(or various, this gets trickier if you try to do this in finder) and place them on the root of USB stick, will there be 3 folders, one for each album and the songs inside? I had to do this manually today...
Also, is there any software that will organize my music in finder differently? Or do I have to write a script for that?
Thanks for the help

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
If you want it organized in a structure that you want, then you can change it so iTunes keeps it organized however you do it. Go into preferences and uncheck Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized. Personally, if you don't have a backup of the music in your original structure, I'd pull all of the music out of the iTunes folder and reorganize it, than reimport it into iTunes.

options.jpg

Alcap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
If you want it organized in a structure that you want, then you can change it so iTunes keeps it organized however you do it. Go into preferences and uncheck Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized. Personally, if you don't have a backup of the music in your original structure, I'd pull all of the music out of the iTunes folder and reorganize it, than reimport it into iTunes.

View attachment 324225

I don't have a backup... Thanks anyway :)
I completely forgot I had made this post xD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.