Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Check 6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
OK, not sure of the differences. Currently have a quad core 2.93 Mac Pro and I may upgrade to a new unit as this one is almost three years old and I will give it to my son in law. Running Aperture, Photoshop, Illustrator and normal document writing, emails etc do I need more than a quad core.

I do use imovie a little for home videos. However I configure the new Mac pro it will be a keeper.

Considering quad core 3.33 processor, solid stae drive for drive one with @ two Tb drives in bays two and three for data and back up 16 gig of RAM a to pof the line graphics card and I plan to keep my 30" ACD comments. By the way I am over 65 for what ever that is worth

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
This machine is more then capable to handle what you are using it for. Why do you want a new machine? Note that there are many threads on macrumors suggesting that the mac pro might be discontinued.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
The more cores, multi-tasking and rendering performance get a lot better. I would suggest upgrading at least to the 6-core to get your money's worth from the upgrade (more importantly lots of RAM and SSD if you can)

Check 6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
This machine is more then capable to handle what you are using it for. Why do you want a new machine? Note that there are many threads on macrumors suggesting that the mac pro might be discontinued.

Your point that my current Mac pro is more than enough is well taken. However, one, I like having Apple care and it runs out on this Mac pro in 8 months. Two, I want to upgrade what my son in law has by giving him this pro. Lastly, having had a career as a fighter pilot and now tracking sports cars I do like speed. Besides, retirement is that point in life when you are to have enjoyment before aging medical issues arise.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
New Mac Pros are expected around March as the next generation of processors will be released then. Seems like it would be worth you waiting to see what Apple do. One could also expect a 3.2GHz 6-core machine for the same price as the current 3.2GHz quad core. This will probably the best value Mac Pro they make.

Check 6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
New Mac Pros are expected around March as the next generation of processors will be released then. Seems like it would be worth you waiting to see what Apple do. One could also expect a 3.2GHz 6-core machine for the same price as the current 3.2GHz quad core. This will probably the best value Mac Pro they make.

That's the plan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.