Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmill83

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I apologize in advance if this is not the right place for this post- I tried to find something specific to iTunes, but am either blind or this is my options. :eek:

I have a non-Mac laptop that I run Windows 7 and iTunes on. I have a large music library that is taking up a lot of room on my internall hard drive. We are discussing purchasing an external hard drive to store the music library, but are unsure how it will affect the function of iTunes.

I guess I have 2 main questions:

1) When I need to sync my iPhone, how can I still access my iTunes? (I've never used an external hard drive before so I'm not sure if I can just plug it back in to my computer and access it for the sync?)

2) After moving everything to the external, is it going to affect the way that I download new content in iTunes? Will it just keep the new stuff on my internal until I push it to the external?

Thank you in advance for any help, it's greatly appreciated. And sorry for the rookie questions!:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.