Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steeldrivingjon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Cheshire, CT, USA
Here's a feature Apple should implement: an option to boost high frequencies in MP3s before moving them to an iPod.

This would be useful for people who listen in their car via a cassette adapter.

The cassette adapter introduces high-frequency hiss into the signal. If you use your stereo's Dolby noise reduction, that cuts the high frequencies, which reduces the hiss, but also reduces the high frequencies of your music because the MP3s weren't encoded with Dolby in mind.

If iTunes would boost high frequencies (or even officially Dolby process the music) in the files while copying them to the iPod, then they would work better with the noise reduction circuitry in the stereo, and thus the sound would be better. The noise reduction would remove the cassette hiss, but with little loss of high frequencies in the music due to the prior boost.

A primitive, easy approach would be to just boost everything above 7khz by about 5 db.

Alternately, the iPod (including the shuffle) could do on-the-fly high frequency boosting. Or perhaps for the Shuffle, since it lacks processing power, it could offer some analog treble boost in the amplifier circuitry, which could be turned on somehow.

superfunkomatic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
calgary, ab canada
a things to buy playlist - rather than creating a separate playlist and dragging songs to it. a button on an artist's page that lets you add it to a playlist to remember for later.

fix the oddity when the player is minimized, if you command-tab through the applications and select itunes again it doesn't bring the application out of the dock - seems odd to me.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
MP3s cut out most of the stuff above 7khz anyway, that is unless you are using a high bitrate, but i dunno why anyone would use a high bitrate and a tape adaptor :p

Hvae u tried a fm modulator?

steeldrivingjon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2005
Cheshire, CT, USA
NicP said:
MP3s cut out most of the stuff above 7khz anyway, that is unless you are using a high bitrate, but i dunno why anyone would use a high bitrate and a tape adaptor :p

Hvae u tried a fm modulator?

I find tape adapters to be better than FM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.