PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Chat - Do I appear online?

ducati911
Feb 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
I sincerely hope I'm not re-posting this issue...
Anyway, since the last Facebook app update there has been no way of "going offline" on chat within the app. I rarely use chat, as I don't like it, but I gave it a shot a while back just to see how it worked. What happened was my friend's reply came via the direct messages rather than through the chat. Also, my friend told me I didn't appear online (they were logged in through their computer). Maybe this was a glitch? I don't know. I've refrained from using the app now because I don't want to be in chat, and have instead been using Safari, but I'd prefer using the app.

So my question is: do I appear online in Facebook chat when I use the app, or not?

Thanks!

P.S. I should also note that there is no info on this within the Facebook help center.

chrf097
Feb 14, 2012, 03:25 PM
I sincerely hope I'm not re-posting this issue...
Anyway, since the last Facebook app update there has been no way of "going offline" on chat within the app. I rarely use chat, as I don't like it, but I gave it a shot a while back just to see how it worked. What happened was my friend's reply came via the direct messages rather than through the chat. Also, my friend told me I didn't appear online (they were logged in through their computer). Maybe this was a glitch? I don't know. I've refrained from using the app now because I don't want to be in chat, and have instead been using Safari, but I'd prefer using the app.

So my question is: do I appear online in Facebook chat when I use the app, or not?

Thanks!

P.S. I should also note that there is no info on this within the Facebook help center.

If you're wanting to do messages, I would recommend either a 3rd party app or the official Facebook Messenger app. Don't use the Facebook for iPad app for chatting. It's not efficient/reliable.

ApplePip
Mar 26, 2012, 12:08 PM
I'm hoping that I can give you some insight as to how Facebook chat works by way of this reply.

However, before I start - let me give myself some credibility! I run and manage the Facebook chat download (http://www.chitchat.org.uk) "Chit Chat." As such, I've kept a close eye on Facebook chat for several years so know a thing or two ;)

Now, firstly:

1 - When you login to Facebook chat, you aren't automatically going to appear online to all of your friends. Facebook chat "refreshes" the online statuses - this can take a few minutes. The same is obviously true of how your friends appear to you.

2 - Facebook chat uses a LOT of battery, it doesn't use an efficient system for phones, as such "Facebook Messenger" or even my Chit Chat iPhone uses a lot of battery life.

I hope this helps!