PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate cases and screen protectors?

mtthwcmn1
Feb 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
I've probably spent over 200 dollars on iphone 4S cases and screen protectors. I've used zagg, wrapsol, body guard, powersupport, i've used otterbox commuter case, incase, speck, monoprice. I have hated every single screen protector and case i've used. After about a week I end up peeling off of the screen protector and case and enjoy my iPhone. I haven't dropped my 4S and I only dropped my DROID X2 once the whole time I had it? Any other case suggestions or should I cut my losses and enjoy my phone?

Arnezie
Feb 14, 2012, 08:55 PM
Not a fan of cases but love my power support anti glare screen protector.

Dizzler
Feb 14, 2012, 09:30 PM
I've probably spent over 200 dollars on iphone 4S cases and screen protectors. I've used zagg, wrapsol, body guard, powersupport, i've used otterbox commuter case, incase, speck, monoprice. I have hated every single screen protector and case i've used. After about a week I end up peeling off of the screen protector and case and enjoy my iPhone. I haven't dropped my 4S and I only dropped my DROID X2 once the whole time I had it? Any other case suggestions or should I cut my losses and enjoy my phone?

I've never used a case. Why cover up such a beautifully designed piece of tech? I DO carry it in a gym sock, though, and I do sometimes get weird looks. But who cares? My phone is pristine and I bought it 2+ years ago. There's not a mark on it.

aztooh
Feb 14, 2012, 10:01 PM
You're not alone. I actually put a screen protector on the backside of it though. Don't want it to get scratched up when set down on tables.

JMies419
Feb 14, 2012, 10:19 PM
I hate screen protectors and can NEVER settle on one case for my phone but I must say I am very happy with my power support crystal screen protectors.

h00ligan
Feb 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
Not a fan of cases but love my power support anti glare screen protector.

Same here. Case prices are just ridiculous. Get AppleCare plus and call it a day.

irDigital0l
Feb 14, 2012, 10:39 PM
Same here. Case prices are just ridiculous. Get AppleCare plus and call it a day.

imo they're pretty cheap, get them online

Spectrum Abuser
Feb 14, 2012, 11:04 PM
I preferred to run completely free with my iP4, but it was partially a mistake. Little hairline scratches appeared all over the place. And don't ask how, but several deep scratches were engraved into the back glass. Taking my experience with me I'll be sure to use a Wraspol or Invisible Shield full body in the future with my next smartphone. That way the phone is still able to shine and it's protected from damage.

motoleo
Feb 14, 2012, 11:08 PM
And I hate how store associates try to sell you the stuff. (RadioShack)

"You really need to get a case for that phone." "You should buy a warrantee for this Apple charger."

"I told him the cases you have are ugly. And I do not want a warrantee for a charger, that's dumb."

I know the iPhone is made out of glass. But do you ever see anyone in the Apple commercials using those ugly cases?

I don't need a case.

mrsir2009
Feb 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
I use a case primarily so that the phone is nicer and grippier to hold. And if you get a nice good quality, minimalistic case the iPhone won't look half bad either. Not all cases Otterboxes :)

h00ligan
Feb 15, 2012, 12:15 AM
I have too many accessories now to bother. Dock, in car dock, etc.

tahoeroscoe
Feb 15, 2012, 12:19 AM
Had my iphone 4 naked since launch day. All scratched and dented, but never cracked and still works like new (except the battery). Defeats the purpose of having such a beautifully designed piece of hardware when you cover it up with a bunch of crap.

barryl85
Feb 15, 2012, 03:13 AM
Had my iPhone 4 since release, bought a zagg invisible shield and had an official bumper thought it was amazing but it was so annoying, peeling and gets dirty at the corners and generally wastes the use of the phone.

Decided one day to peel it off and it felt awesome, phone was still like brand new except the stainless was all scratched up because of the bumper so a trip to the local genius bar and a brand new iPhone 4 was given to me.

I decided on cheap ebay screen protectors and I havent looked back, 5 back and 5 front protectors cost 1.75 and when I put them on perfectly (no bubbles) you cant even tell they are there just looks and feels like an iPhone with no screen protectors.

rgarjr
Feb 15, 2012, 03:32 AM
Dont use cases or screen shields but i do like bumpers.

Pathfinder3
Feb 15, 2012, 04:28 AM
I didn't want to take the chance of seriously damaging my device since I'm deployed to Afghanistan so I got my 4S in a Lifeproof case. If I could, I'd go naked.

Zcott
Feb 15, 2012, 05:27 AM
No cases, no screen protectors, few small scratches on the back. How it's supposed to be used.

miragebg
Feb 15, 2012, 05:37 AM
I have spend more than 200$ for cases, bumpers, screen protectors, shields and there is always time coming when I start to dislike them.
But I finally found the best combo for my device- Desmay Slight black case + Power Support Anti glare screen protector and since then I don't look at any new cases and protectors anymore.

whooleytoo
Feb 15, 2012, 05:37 AM
Never used any. It doesn't make any sense for me to buy a case to protect the phone from scratches, if you never take the case off anyway.

I use my phones until it's on its last legs, recycle it and buy a brand new one; for people who sell theirs after 1-2 years it might be different.

Savor
Feb 15, 2012, 05:46 AM
I like it raw just like coitus. I hate screen protectors but it depends on the case if it is beautiful or not. Only my iPhone 4 has a case due to grip and protecting me from the sharp edges. My other four phones are caseless. Feels and looks the best although I do use the Nexus One slip case for three of my phones since they are close in measurements. Took out the case for the Focus as it is bought second hand anyway with minor dents and scratches. Felt too bulky with it too. So 20% for a case (1/5) and 0% screen protectors for any of them.

barredfreak
Feb 15, 2012, 05:49 AM
I definitely like everything I have raw. My MBP, iPad and 4S have no protection whatsoever.

The designs of all these products are amazing and have an accumulation of over $5k. Why not show them off? :)

Stealthipad
Feb 15, 2012, 05:59 AM
I hate cases that stay on the phone while using it. I did settle on the CaseMate Barely There case that is super thin, has a rubbery coating like my ThinkPad and only covers the back and to long sides. It is almost like being naked:p

camardelle
Feb 15, 2012, 06:28 AM
I'd rather use my phone/touch in it's natural state, but protection while not always pretty is sometimes necessary.

pooleman
Feb 15, 2012, 10:14 AM
I drop my phone every now and agian and really and glad I have a rubber case on it. No breaks as of yet.

saberahul
Feb 15, 2012, 10:16 AM
I hate using cases but the iPhone 4 loses signal a lot for me if I do not use a case, so I am compelled.

yourtoys7
Feb 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
Naked with 3M privacy screen.

MacStu09
Feb 15, 2012, 10:57 AM

I have to agree with the next person - cases are dirt cheap. I don't know how some people have spent 100's on cases and screen protectors. Hopefully none of you purchase cases at walmart or radioshack for $20-40. You know Dollar Tree often sells the exact griffin and speck cases for iphone 4 that radioshack does, right? I bought 20 griffin cases at $1 each. Or just go the ebay route. $1-$5 with free shipping. Or 2 packs of screen protectors for $0.99 free shipping.

The most I've ever paid for a case was $12 for an otterbox defender (which was a present to my friend).

I actually just bought an arachnophobia case for $11 for my bad esn iphone 4 (so signal loss doesn't matter to me).

I will agree that some cases lessen the feel of the phone, and some screen protectors just ruin everything. But I have an awesome screen protector right now that I paid $0.99 for, and it doesn't change the feel or look at all.

robopath
Feb 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
I hate using cases but the iPhone 4 loses signal a lot for me if I do not use a case, so I am compelled.

Bingo, my 4 is the first iphone I have had anything on because of this. I've had a few cases, but always come back to the bumper since it's compatible with every dock/cradle I have. I've never put anything on the screen. A few tiny scratches are better then looking through a "fog" imho.

sulpfiction
Feb 15, 2012, 11:27 AM
I hate cheap looking/feeling cases as well. Right now I have a felt lined, no-slip grip slider case that comes with the snap in belt clip. Pretty nice and I like the felt lining, but whenever I take it out to give it a good cleaning, I always admire the look and feel of the naked phone.

I have been debating getting the element Vapor Pro bumper with the carbon fiber back plate. It's expensive but I think it looks really nice. I've seen knock-off's out there but have never seen a real one. Anyone out there have one?

Zwhaler
Feb 15, 2012, 11:29 AM
I don't 'hate' them, I just choose not to use them. On occasion in the past I used the Apple bumper case, though.

rockyroad55
Feb 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Only case I use is the Mophie Air when I'm on the go. Other than that, I don't use cases because my Griffin extended cable's port can't fit most cases.

nerdpov
Feb 15, 2012, 11:33 AM
I've never been a big fan of cases. Only put one on due to the iPhone 4 having the death grip issue.

All I use on my iPhone 4S is the Clarivue protector front and back, which in my opinion feels very glass-like.

eclipse01
Feb 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
I only have experience with Zagg and a company called shieldskins.

I hated Zagg, it was far to tacky, my finger barely slid across the surface. I have been using shieldskins for years, very nice product and the skins feel just as natural as the device itself.

also can't beet the lifetime replacement warranty on them.

VandyChem2009
Feb 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
And I hate how store associates try to sell you the stuff. (RadioShack)

"You really need to get a case for that phone." "You should buy a warrantee for this Apple charger."

"I told him the cases you have are ugly. And I do not want a warrantee for a charger, that's dumb."

I know the iPhone is made out of glass. But do you ever see anyone in the Apple commercials using those ugly cases?

I don't need a case.

Yeah, very true you never see a case on the iPhone in the commercials. But that's because the commercial is trying to sell you the phone so they need to show it off. I also don't ever hold my phone the way they do in the commercials. However, a better indicator is to go to your local Apple store. Every employee has an iPhone and I'd say 99% of them have some kind of case protecting it. Reason being the phone is made out of glass. Even the most careful person in the world may drop it. Yeah ok if you have applecare+ you don't really have to worry but you do run the risk of getting a replacement that has a dead pixel or some other thing you don't like. So if you are 100% happy with the phone you have I think a case is very much necessary. As a side note I think a lot of people use cases to differenciate themselves from others. Where I live 9/10 people own an iPhone if we all went naked it would be very 1984. So yeah cases do give the phone an identity and uniqueness.

djransom
Feb 15, 2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah, very true you never see a case on the iPhone in the commercials. But that's because the commercial is trying to sell you the phone so they need to show it off. I also don't ever hold my phone the way they do in the commercials. However, a better indicator is to go to your local Apple store. Every employee has an iPhone and I'd say 99% of them have some kind of case protecting it. Reason being the phone is made out of glass. Even the most careful person in the world may drop it. Yeah ok if you have applecare+ you don't really have to worry but you do run the risk of getting a replacement that has a dead pixel or some other thing you don't like. So if you are 100% happy with the phone you have I think a case is very much necessary. As a side note I think a lot of people use cases to differenciate themselves from others. Where I live 9/10 people own an iPhone if we all went naked it would be very 1984. So yeah cases do give the phone an identity and uniqueness.

I agree with this post.

Jordan921
Feb 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
I'll never go without a screen protector. Don't really like cases but went with a thin incase

ZipZap
Feb 15, 2012, 12:56 PM
This case was perfect: Click me (http://www.ebay.com/itm/370573098500?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

Agent-P
Feb 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
You're not alone. I absolutely hate cases on phones. Why cover up the great design work Jony Ive put into making the iPhone? The whole point he designed it well is for people to look at, not cover up with an ugly case (notice how the smartcover and bumper aren't actual cases? You can still see the majority of the device).

I imagine Jony Ive looked out at a crowd of people using iPhones with cases and said "Why are all these tossers covering up my bloody beautiful design work?" (hard to get an English accent across over text).

tommot82
Feb 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
i HATE them all (bumpers are maybe passable in certain situations).

I just cant understand why people would buy a lovely looking device and then ruin it by wrapping it in stuff that it wasn't designed to be wrapped in?!?!

Tophersky
Feb 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
I HATE having to cover up my 4S, but I know the MINUTE I leave the house without a case, I will drop it and break something. It's just my luck. I currently have it in the Otterbox defender, and while I know its protected, its ugly as sin. The bottom flap doesn't stay closed, the mute switch cover has torn, so I had to rip that off. All in all, I have not been happy with the Otterbox. My next case will be a Lifeproof case, as soon as I get sick of this one.

bri1212
Feb 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
I know many of you want to show off your iPhone, and do not want a case for it. But for me, When I buy a $600 phone, or and $800 iPad, I buy a case for it.
The case I use for both right now is made by Zerochroma. I do not work for them.
One reason why I buy the case is protection, because even if I am careful with my phone, my kids might forget to be.

rmhop81
Feb 15, 2012, 09:52 PM
Why spend $200 on cases when that's the cost of a replacement phone? Lol

Boo Protectors
May 27, 2013, 08:54 PM
Yes. I hate them. But I love my speck case.

----------

But I have to take it off every time I want to play music on a dock.

zorinlynx
May 28, 2013, 03:44 PM
My inCase Slider has protected my phone from so many bumps and small falls that I'm glad I use it.

cnev3
May 29, 2013, 01:12 AM
My iphone 5 case is Apple Care. I hate to see its sleekness and light weight spoiled by a case. Without it's case it sits in my pocket nicely. I don't even notice it's there. I've slept comfortably with it in my pocket. It will stay in my pocket even when i'm at home sitting on my couch.

My friends that have big phones and thick cases always take them out and set it on a table. The only time they keep it in their pocket is when they are on the go. Leaving them on a table in a bar or restaurant just increases the chance of theft or damage.

I've owned iOS devices since 2008 and I have never had a single scratch on a screen, so I find screen protectors useless for me. Stupid things always get bubbles. I always give the device its own pocket. If you put your phone in the same pocket as keys and other stuff, you're asking for wear and tear.

I'm careful where and how i set it down, so I avoid the back getting wear.

Ste Nova
May 29, 2013, 06:48 AM
my ip5 in a Griffin Survivor, cost me 7, I dropped it 3 times over the weekend, if it was naked the phone wouldn't survive my lifestyle :D

cynics
May 29, 2013, 07:45 AM
I hate having to use one but its a requirement for a smart phone and my lifestyle. So I don't hate them.

Cases I did hate were those leather one on dumb flip phones back in the day lol.

Blorzoga
May 29, 2013, 09:14 AM
I hate them but they keep my phone's resale values high.

The increase in resale value (unless you smash your phone) is minimal compared to the price of most cases. I prefer to enjoy my phone the way it was designed to be enjoyed...sans case. I bought Applecare+ for $99 which adds peace of mind. I'm pretty sure I would have spent close to that amount on cases over the life of the phone.