Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Working off an older Mac pro.
Looking to upgrade this year and would love to downsize.

How much of a performance boost do i get from the current line of Macpros vs MacAirs w/Thunderbolt?

I edit events, sizzle reels, local commercial, etc. No heavy effects.

I've been schooled to believe that to be professional you have to work a Macpro.
I feel like another Macpro would be overkill. I ran a few test edits on my friends 2 year old macair and I was able to cut the video just fine- (with media off the internal drive no less)

I do not need any expansion. And thunderbolt devices are already out there if i needed one.

I just do not see the point- but my old way of thinking keeps getting in the way.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
My only question on a MacBook Air would be the screen size/resolution.

A 15" or 17" MacPro (maybe with antiglare screen) might be better for video editing.

If you don't need it to be portable, an iMac could also work for you.

All of the above have thunderbolt ports, the 23" iMac has 2. also the have varying number of USB ports. The Air doesn't have a firewire port, the Pro and iMac do - if firewire matters to you.

Also, since you say video, how much do you use the optical drive? For the Air, it would be external.

The other question is the size of the internal drive. Think about that.

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
If you are getting paid for any of those projects you edit, I would definitely spend more for a Macbook Pro or iMac. You will thank yourself later.

If you get an Air, you will likely (or definitely, for some people) be plugging in an external monitor, an external hard drive (I think Thunderbolt devices are still expensive these days? Not sure. And you don't want to use USB for an external HDD nor the internal HDD), USB mouse, external optical drive, and whatever you use to transfer your footage. If it's not the processing or graphics speed you need, the extra ports are going to help.

Then down the road, if you do get into heavier editing, you will already be set.

But no, you don't really need a Mac Pro. But I certainly don't think the Air is the way to go.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Thanks- some good points. but;

As far as ports- I'm leaning toward the Mac thunderbolt display and it has all the ports i need.
Besides- I only use firewire for external drives and those would be replaced by a thunderbolt media drive. But the display port would work if a client walks in with a FW drive.

It's really the performance difference I'm concerned about.

I should mention- I currently have a macbook in addition to the macpro and like the idea of just having 1 computer that I can use via thunderbolt for the desktop editing....and then just pull it for on the road.

I'll hold off until I see what Apple does to the macbook pro line.
Perhaps the rumored 15inch proAir will suit my needs.
I hope so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.