Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwinCities Dan

macrumors 603
Original poster
120114-CameleonPhoto-hmed-0325p.grid-6x2.jpg

A species of chameleon small enough to easily perch on a match head has been discovered on a tiny island off Madagascar, a group of scientists has announced. In addition to the discovery of Brookesia micra, now the tiniest chameleon ever discovered, the researchers also announced the discovery of three additional tiny chameleon species. Adult males of the B. micra species grow to only just over a half-inch (16 millimeters) from nose to bottom, making them one of the smallest vertebrates ever found on Earth. From nose to tail, adults of both sexes grow to only 1 inch (30 mm) in length.

Link

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I want one. In my pocket.

I've got a tiny lizard in my pocket! Wait....

I can't help but wonder - what do those guys feed off of? (the ones the news article is about). I could see a mosquito being dangerous game for one of those lizards. :eek:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Yes, it would be nice, but like-minded individuals like you would quickly decimate them in the wild.

"Leave nothing but foot-prints, take nothing but pictures." ;)

You don't have to tell me. I learned that lesson long ago on the Brady Bunch when Bobby took that lava rock from Hawaii.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Chameleons are so cute. I was going to look into the legality of one (a typical one, not one of these) as a pet here, but apparently they don't live very long and I get way too attached to pets:(.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Chameleons are so cute. I was going to look into the legality of one (a typical one, not one of these) as a pet here, but apparently they don't live very long and I get way too attached to pets:(.

You have to attempt to look at the bigger picture.

Short-lived pets deserve a decent life-span too, and you can provide that.

I know it's not easy, for I have buried more than a couple of beloved pets, but I try to be more circumspect.

:)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
i've got a tiny lizard in my pocket! Wait....

I can't help but wonder - what do those guys feed off of? (the ones the news article is about). I could see a mosquito being dangerous game for one of those lizards. :eek:

zing!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
What chameleon??:D

It seems to have taken on protective coloration and it looks like a finger.

:p

I would've upvoted you except you had to explain your joke.

My contribution: That person went to great lengths to cut their nail into the shape of a cute little chameleon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.