Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PonguigPeopinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I just "upgraded" from OS X 10.6 to 10.7, and I am unhappy about the abortion of some features. Please help me to restore them. This is an incomplete list as I have only been using the system for a few hours.

Mission Control.
-Mission Failed-

Removed features (and other features) that MUST be restored:

Show All Windows [Of the current "space"] (Hot Corner; NOT All Windows of the current Application)

Move windows from [and between] a non-active "space"

Option to prevent switching "spaces" when holding a window against the edge of the current "space."

Option to not group windows by application but to leave them where they are so that they can be arranged (along with the windows in all the other spaces); this option combined with the all windows hot corner to access the grouping feature, or just the view of all windows.

(?) Ability to assign applications to '"spaces."

When pressing the dock icon for a particular Application multiple times, a "space" is switched to with a window of that Application, however when the "hide dock" option is enabled, the dock automatically hides when the space is switched to, this means that one must cause the dock to reappear each time they want to cycle through an applications windows. (this was not the case in OS X 10.6, where the dock would remain visible)

PonguigPeopinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
This is turning out to be quite an annoyance and has put me at the edge. I am now going to compile a list of features that must be restored or are important to be added. Feel free to post your own here.

Please reply indicating who head the OS X programming team at Apple and how they may be contacted.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
(?) Ability to assign applications to '"spaces."

This is still possible, right (or control) click on the dock icon and assign it to a desktop there. You can't do it in System Preferences anymore... its all very unintuitive... they should have some window decoration control to do it or something, but the never had that in Snow Leopard either.

Unfortunately there really isn't any way to do the other things your describing with lion... which is a few of the MANY reasons I am running Snow Leopard on all my machines, and keeping an eye on Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 8.

PonguigPeopinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Goodevening.

After completely reviewing the situation, I have decided to simply revert back to 10.6. 10.7 was released on July 20, 2011, Apple has had 7 months to fix these problems that many have had issues with. Steve Jobs' death was on October 5, 2011, however he had been on medical leave since January 2011, giving at least 5 months of limited oversight of the production of 10.7, and ever since then, he has obviously not been overseeing the situation surrounding 10.7.

A little gem:
"John Scully killed Apple."
~Steve Jobs, 1995

I am going to have to review my long-standing situation as it appears that there is no-longer anyone high positioned in Apple with an appreciation for quality and technicalities, and with the personality (and position) to get any issues of this kind resolved. People have been fighting these issues since the release of 10.7. 7 long and arduous months. And Apple hasn't even released a statement about what they are going to do. Why? Because they plan to keep you in the dark about it.

Here is the final, incomplete status of my list of non-functional features:

• (?) Overall, broken when operating across multiple monitors.
  • Show All Windows [Of the current "space"] (Hot Corner; NOT All Windows of the current Application)
  • Move windows from [and between] a non-active "space"
  • Option to prevent switching "spaces" when holding a window against the edge of the current "space."
  • Option to not group windows by application but to leave them where they are so that they can be arranged (along with the windows in all the other spaces); this option combined with the all windows hot corner to access the grouping feature, or just the view of all windows.
  • (-Functional, right-click on application dock icon while that applications window(s) is the only one in the "space") Ability to assign applications to "spaces," to assign them to open into the "spaces."
  • When pressing the dock icon for a particular Application multiple times, a "space" is switched to with a window of that Application, however when the "hide dock" option is enabled, the dock automatically hides when the space is switched to, this means that one must cause the dock to reappear each time they want to cycle through an applications windows. (this was not the case in OS X 10.6, where the dock would remain visible)
  • - With the "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application" option is disabled, the automatic space-switch still occurs when one clicks on the Finder icon in the dock.
  • *Use of the all windows [NOT all windows of the current application] hot corner while in mission control (spaces).
  • *Ability to have separate Mission Control "spaces" sets for each monitor.
  • *Minimized windows are invisible (in Mission Control)
  • Ability to Right-Click on spotlight search results to reveal their location within their parent folder in finder.
  • The animation and process (which involves a preview of the destination webpage) for going back or forward in Safari windows (or tabs) disappears when one switches to the "Swipe with three fingers" option. This is the only practical option as two fingers are used to scroll around the page and one could accidentally go back a page.
  • Sliding with three fingers to move a window is useless as it requires the pointer to be over a section of a window that would enable moving the window by clicking and dragging.
  • There should be an option to not include the recovery partition during installation.
  • Option to restore the grid-layout for "spaces," along with the original birds-eye-view of all spaces, moving windows between arbitrary spaces, and combining this with the all windows hot corner / gesture.
  • ""App Store" cannot be deleted because it is required by Mac OS X." (error received while trying to delete App Store.app) However this was not the case in 10.6 when I deleted it. "App Store.app," "Launchpad.app," "Address Book.app," "Chess.app," "DVD Player.app," "FaceTime.app," "iCal.app," "iChat.app," "Image Capture.app," "iTunes.app," "Photo Booth.app," "QuickTime Player.app," "Stickies.app," "Audio MIDI Setup.app," "Boot Camp Assistant.app," "Color Sync Utility.app," "Console.app," "KeyChain Access.app," "Migration Assistant.app," "Podcast Capture.app," "Podcast Publisher.app," "RAID Utility.app," and "VoiceOver Utility.app" should be deletable just as with OS X 10.6, and as happened, legally with OS-required programs for Windows.
  • Pinching fingers to shrink Safari Web pages is not permanent however spreading fingers to expand webpages is. (even when the width of a webpage in its normal size is larger than the window)
  • When one middle-clicks or command clicks a URL in safari, the new tab is created adjacent to the current tab instead of at the end of the stack of tabs. (Option to restore this to the usual manner of functionality)
  • *Renaming of "spaces"
  • No ability to block/prevent Spotlight from accessing the internet
  • *Similar-character selection interferes with key-repeat-rate (fixed with defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool false)
  • *Applescript Workflows operate extremely slowly and don't even trigger when assigned to a keystroke (in the "Services" menu) and when they are not loaded in memory.
  • *When the Startup Hard Disk is full, the system can automatically suspend (temporarily freeze) Applications however the restore option did not work and I had to use the terminal.
  • *Inclusion of an antonym option for the dictionary Widget.
  • *Ability to remove the barren "Apple" option from the dictionary Widget.
  • *Ability to gesture or hot-corner to show the desktop while in full-screen mode
  • *Versions should have an option to enable a periodic auto-save which adds an additional snapshot.
  • *Ability to disable Versions, Auto-Save, Save A Version, and Duplicate. (And restore Save As)
  • *Fine tuning the volume by 1/4s (Alt-Shift-Change Volume) has been removed.
  • *There is obscurity in finder between whether Network is a "sub-folder" of the computer (e.g. Clicking on one of the computers listed in the "SHARED" sub-menu in a Finder window prevents you from command-[up arrow]ing to the computer, however going from the computers "folder" into the network "folder" enables this)
  • *Apple should add the ability to option-click the + [green] "traffic light" to activate full screen.
  • *No clear capacity to set different desktop backgrounds [or desktop background settings] for each "space," or to set every space to use the same desktop background settings.
  • Quick Look does not fit pdf pages to width.
  • *I disabled the auto-conversion of ... to … however it still happens [in textedit].
  • I completely lost the ability to launch applications however I am not willing to investigate the cause. When I launched Terminal, I get the following message: "You are not authorized to run this application." "The administrator has set your shell to an illegal value." I am using the only [administrator] account on this system. Happened after I Option-Clicked an application in the dock (to check some "new" functionality), but also after I ran the bash command "pmset -g" without the typical "sudo " prefix.

Last edited:

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
That last bullet could probably be fixed by repairing your permissions from a system install disc (wait, Lion doesn't have one...) but the others can only be solved by upgrading to Snow Leopard.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
All excellent points, although your sanctimonious tone is rather a turn off. You might send that off to Apple (sans editorializing). It's not like anything will get fixed by posting it here.

PonguigPeopinn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
An addendum to this, I have also had to revert back to Safari 5.0.5 due to both errors and design faults. When I load up a separate tab in 5.1.2, Safari seems to attempt to render it or something else, when I load up multiple tabs (even just 3, often I go up to 500+) with images each loading, the entire thing lags up. Design faults include the fact that one is incapable of setting the system to locate new tabs from clicked links at the end of the stack of tabs, not adjacent to a local set of tabs.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
jesus I have never heard of someone having SO MANY problems. what device did you upgrade on? and was it a clean boot?

some of your "problems" seem annoying I am sure, but most seem like just something you have to get used to after upgrading. such as deleting app store, or the browsing tabs in safari.

maybe you should stick to 10.6 instead. and never upgrade.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
An addendum to this, I have also had to revert back to Safari 5.0.5 due to both errors and design faults. When I load up a separate tab in 5.1.2, Safari seems to attempt to render it or something else, when I load up multiple tabs (even just 3, often I go up to 500+)

Five. Hundred. Tabs.

It's over 9000?

What the hell are you doing that requires 500 tabs? I know Lion sucks and everything (I agree with that general statement, which is why I'm still on 10.6.8- Apple has already abandoned 10.7 in favour for 10.8, which will be a paid upgrade- so that tells you how much they care about stability and support), but I've never heard of someone having 500 tabs open at once.

-SC

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
That last bullet could probably be fixed by repairing your permissions from a system install disc (wait, Lion doesn't have one...) but the others can only be solved by upgrading to Snow Leopard.

no, it has a built in recovery by holding the alt/option tab at start up. which you can run disk utility and repair disk permissions through.

upgrading to snow leopard? i think you mean reverting. Even if it is a better OS in you're eyes its still not an upgrade. :rolleyes:

philxor

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2010
I'm sure the word "upgrade" was meant in satire.

Yeah Mission Control sucks, there are about 100 threads on all of the things you listed. My guess is unless you want to continue using SL forever, which you might be able to do, get used to it, Apple isn't known for going back and changing things. Nothing is changed in 10.8 with regards to MC even though many people have complained about it.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'm sure the word "upgrade" was meant in satire.

Yeah Mission Control sucks, there are about 100 threads on all of the things you listed. My guess is unless you want to continue using SL forever, which you might be able to do, get used to it, Apple isn't known for going back and changing things. Nothing is changed in 10.8 with regards to MC even though many people have complained about it.

I'm sure something will though... weather its better or worse who knows. Have you noticed that a clean install of Mountain Lion doesn't put Mission Control in your Dock? Lion did. Maybe it was just to try and save space because of all the other iOS apps they added, but it still seems strange to me. They kept the Dashboard icon.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
A simple solution to this miserable failure thats become of Mission Control is:

ADD A TICK IN SYSTEM PREFERENCES TO SHOW ALL WINDOWS, UNGROUPED!

Wow, how difficult is that?! But we all know how Apple feels about 'choice' and 'options'... those two words don't exist in Apples vocabulary.

The other problem is that a lot of us don't use spaces. That said, what the hell is the point of showing the ugly grey border and a thumbnail if someone only uses ONE space?????

Pointless!

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
if they don't put at least a modicum of options for on/off or for modifications to mission control (miserable failure), versions, and things like the monochromatic sidebars they 'll be in serious trouble from users switching to windows 8, since on top of that the 've done eff all to bring a better filesystem, and better more robust finder, and resolution independence in the os... as well as maintaining that dreadful bloatware that is the current itunes.

Let them keep their heads in the sand and try to mock people that they are getting a new os with "features" such as twitter integration and a notepad and reminder apps as well as various moronic ipad like design elements...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.