Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plastic Avatar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
West Virginia
I've come to the conclusion that the 12" Powerbook with Superdrive is an insane bargain (education price), though it lacks 2 items I want- no 128M vid option and no PC card slot.... well, and there's that fancy lighted keyboard thing it's missing, too =|

I'm curious what kind of things tax your Powerbooks? My only real-world test of a 1.33Ghz 12" was with Final Cut Pro and Final Cut Express. I was really impressed with how well both ran. I was only dealing with 1 video and 2 audio tracks, but it breezed through everything better than I expected.

I haven't had an opportunity to try any graphics-heavy games, so I'm curious about that. Civ 3 slows to an absolute crawl as the years pass by, but I don't know what the CPU gremlin is in that case *or* if it's normal.

And, man, does my wife's PB get hot! Anyone use any of the 'solutions' to help with that? Ya'know, fan bases, lap stands, ice packs, whatever?

-S(n)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.