PDA

View Full Version : GODSEND: iMessage beta for Mac!!

haruhiko
Feb 16, 2012, 07:58 AM
http://swdlp.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SoftwareDownloadApp.woa/wo/3jueiIw4eiykM3et5b2Wb0/2.5

Apple has just showed a pre-release of the upcoming 10.8 Mountain Lion which will be available in summer.

And what we can have now is the beta version of iMessage for mac:D

Beanoir
Feb 16, 2012, 11:02 AM
http://swdlp.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SoftwareDownloadApp.woa/wo/3jueiIw4eiykM3et5b2Wb0/2.5

Apple has just showed a pre-release of the upcoming 10.8 Mountain Lion which will be available in summer.

And what we can have now is the beta version of iMessage for mac:D

It works well i've been chatting to my brother and my mate on their iPhones from my iMac all afternoon. Connected via their email address and their mobile phone numbers. Just like iMessage really....

As always with Apple, the tech ain't new but the application is brilliant.

urkel
Feb 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
With facetime integration! But suddenly their decision to give us a crappy Macbook Air camera looks worse and worse...

onthecouchagain
Feb 16, 2012, 11:26 AM
So how do I get the default iChat buddy list back? I closed it once, and I can't seem to bring it back up...

Beanoir
Feb 16, 2012, 01:59 PM
I can only install on one machine too, put it on the iMac first and tried putting it on the MBA and it's telling me the account is blocked for some reason!?

DouchGod
Feb 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
Anyone else noticed that the webcam fails to activate sometimes when the messages beta app is open?

atMac
Feb 16, 2012, 06:25 PM
I can't stand it. I think it's the worst messaging app I have ever used.

KylePowers
Feb 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
As excited as I am about Messages, I'm just going to wait it out. From what I've read so far, it's fairly buggy. But also, the majority of the people I text don't even have iMessaging.

I just want to be able to reply to all texts to my phone from my computer!

Also, I hear it doesn't pull up text history. Lamesauce. And if you can only install it on one computer^^^. Double lamesauce.

JMies419
Feb 16, 2012, 07:52 PM
The Apple site won't even let me download it right now, servers must be overloaded.

Warhawk15
Feb 16, 2012, 08:22 PM
Works fine for me, I tried it earlier and texted my bro on my air to his iphone.
But I use Adium so I can have google talk and facebook chat opened at the same time.

JMies419
Feb 16, 2012, 09:04 PM
Anyone else having a issue with downloading this from the apple site?

jackrv
Feb 16, 2012, 09:08 PM
So how do I get the default iChat buddy list back? I closed it once, and I can't seem to bring it back up...

Window > Buddies

onthecouchagain
Feb 16, 2012, 10:02 PM
Window > Buddies

I'm honestly not seeing an option to show my Gtalk or AIM buddies... and I'm logged into those accounts.
:confused:

coolweirdo
Feb 16, 2012, 11:17 PM
This update requires Mac OS X version 10.7 :confused::confused::confused:

this is the message that im getting im fairly new to this what should i do?

superstrikertwo
Feb 16, 2012, 11:30 PM
This update requires Mac OS X version 10.7 :confused::confused::confused:

this is the message that im getting im fairly new to this what should i do?

It only works on OS X Lion (10.7). So my advice would be to install Lion if you want to use the Messages app.

iLog.Genius
Feb 16, 2012, 11:48 PM
Just played around with it and for what it is, I think its pretty cool. Maybe I don't know how iMessage works exactly but say you're messaging someone with an iPhone, do you have to message them using their phone number? I tried to message the same person but using their iCloud e-mail as the "number" but it won't work. Can it work both ways or do you have to use the phone number?

shurcooL
Feb 17, 2012, 12:47 AM
It's in the Window menu, or Apple-1 keyboard shortcut.

Beanoir
Feb 17, 2012, 11:55 AM
Just played around with it and for what it is, I think its pretty cool. Maybe I don't know how iMessage works exactly but say you're messaging someone with an iPhone, do you have to message them using their phone number? I tried to message the same person but using their iCloud e-mail as the "number" but it won't work. Can it work both ways or do you have to use the phone number?

It should work both ways. I've been messaging my brother using both his number and his hotmail address both received fine via messages on his 3GS - worked perfectly.

saberahul
Feb 17, 2012, 12:02 PM

Window --> Buddies.

cmd + 0 --> Messages
cmd + 1 --> Buddies