Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
http://swdlp.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SoftwareDownloadApp.woa/wo/3jueiIw4eiykM3et5b2Wb0/2.5

Apple has just showed a pre-release of the upcoming 10.8 Mountain Lion which will be available in summer.

And what we can have now is the beta version of iMessage for mac:D

It works well i've been chatting to my brother and my mate on their iPhones from my iMac all afternoon. Connected via their email address and their mobile phone numbers. Just like iMessage really....

As always with Apple, the tech ain't new but the application is brilliant.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
With facetime integration! But suddenly their decision to give us a crappy Macbook Air camera looks worse and worse...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So how do I get the default iChat buddy list back? I closed it once, and I can't seem to bring it back up...

Last edited:

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
I can only install on one machine too, put it on the iMac first and tried putting it on the MBA and it's telling me the account is blocked for some reason!?

DouchGod

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Anyone else noticed that the webcam fails to activate sometimes when the messages beta app is open?

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I can't stand it. I think it's the worst messaging app I have ever used.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
As excited as I am about Messages, I'm just going to wait it out. From what I've read so far, it's fairly buggy. But also, the majority of the people I text don't even have iMessaging.

I just want to be able to reply to all texts to my phone from my computer!

Also, I hear it doesn't pull up text history. Lamesauce. And if you can only install it on one computer^^^. Double lamesauce.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Works fine for me, I tried it earlier and texted my bro on my air to his iphone.
But I use Adium so I can have google talk and facebook chat opened at the same time.

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
This update requires Mac OS X version 10.7 :confused::confused::confused:

this is the message that im getting im fairly new to this what should i do?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Just played around with it and for what it is, I think its pretty cool. Maybe I don't know how iMessage works exactly but say you're messaging someone with an iPhone, do you have to message them using their phone number? I tried to message the same person but using their iCloud e-mail as the "number" but it won't work. Can it work both ways or do you have to use the phone number?

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Just played around with it and for what it is, I think its pretty cool. Maybe I don't know how iMessage works exactly but say you're messaging someone with an iPhone, do you have to message them using their phone number? I tried to message the same person but using their iCloud e-mail as the "number" but it won't work. Can it work both ways or do you have to use the phone number?

It should work both ways. I've been messaging my brother using both his number and his hotmail address both received fine via messages on his 3GS - worked perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.