PDA

View Full Version : Serious problem, laptop not usable

Purely Elf
Feb 16, 2012, 11:12 AM
Yesterday my 13" MacBook pro started having some serious issues. It would freeze and become unresponsive, and all I could do was move the cursor around which was a multicolored ball. I had to hard reset it and then plugged in my external drive to get my important files onto it. The computer did not recognize that the external drive was plugged in. It did read and write to DVDs, so I was burning my files to those. As I did this I had to hard reset a couple more times. Eventually, it did end up noticing that I had my external drive plugged in (I had left it plugged in) so I transferred everything that way.

Then I reformatted the HHD and reinstalled snow leopard. But now it's doing the same thing again, I couldn't even get safari to open. What can I do?

----------

Forgot these:

PROCESSOR 065-9181 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

MEMORY 065-9184 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x2GB

HARD DRIVE 065-9187 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400

OPTICAL DRIVE 065-9194 SuperDrive 8X DL

GermanyChris
Feb 16, 2012, 11:48 AM
Yesterday my 13" MacBook pro started having some serious issues. It would freeze and become unresponsive, and all I could do was move the cursor around which was a multicolored ball. I had to hard reset it and then plugged in my external drive to get my important files onto it. The computer did not recognize that the external drive was plugged in. It did read and write to DVDs, so I was burning my files to those. As I did this I had to hard reset a couple more times. Eventually, it did end up noticing that I had my external drive plugged in (I had left it plugged in) so I transferred everything that way.

Then I reformatted the HHD and reinstalled snow leopard. But now it's doing the same thing again, I couldn't even get safari to open. What can I do?

----------

Forgot these:

I'd probably put a new HD in it or if has Apple Care let them do it.

snaky69
Feb 16, 2012, 11:58 AM

----------

Forgot these:

Your hard drive is probably dying.

Purely Elf
Feb 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
Okay, so it's probably the HDD? What else might it be?

What hard drive would you suggest I buy? If I have to replace it anyway, an upgrade would be nice. And while I've replaced hard drives before on desktop PCs, I never have with any sort of laptop. I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD51oLTMsYU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Would it be any different with a 13" purchased June 2010?

Thank you :)

Apok
Feb 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
I just changed the HDD in my mid 2010 about 6 weeks ago, and it was super easy. There are plenty of guides to help step you through it. I used the one from ifixit.com as a point of reference. I think it took me about 15-20 mins tops

Purely Elf
Feb 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
Yes, I'm sure it's pretty simple. These things generally are.

I saw a thread about upgrading to SSD. What's the cost of this, and is there really that much benefit to it? I'd like to hear some opinions of what I should replace my HDD with, if I have $200 - $300 usd to spend :P